Attachments
20200217_122940.jpg
20200217_122940.jpg (133.85 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
BerlinWaller

Re: Grimsby 2 Morecambe 1 [Phillips] LIVE iFollow thread

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:14 pm

black morse wrote:
HALMA 1983 wrote:
black morse wrote:The trouble is that none of our forwards are scoring goals and they don't really have a history as proven strikers. So it's not just a case of waiting for one of them to find goalscoring form......they've never been in that category. Oh for an Aaron Collins!

This is what I find surprising, given, that Derek has identified the shortcomings of the squad he 'inherited'
The signing he most needed hasn't been made
but who's to say he won't bring in a 20 goal a season man very soon?

He may have tried but failed!

I totally forgot that it doesn't matter this season but next, he'll have to splash out and get a nailed on goalscorer to take this club above third bottom
HALMA 1983

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:58 pm

This fixation on a proven goalscorer/poacher is baffling.

Throughout my time supporting the club since about late 2006, I think we have only signed two genuinely proven Football League level goalscorers: Phil Jevons and Paul Mullin (could possible argue Big Kev and Shaun Miller, although both had only gotten more than 10 in an EFL season once in their careers before joining).

In our position financially, we make do with what players we can get and find a system to make the most out of them. Ellison and Redshaw (yes he had a history of scoring but at non-league level) formed a good partnership. Miller had incredible service from Devitt and Barkhuizen. Collins - who had no noteworthy track record - was a pacy dribbler who largely did well from being alongside the battering ram of either Bennett or Oliver.

We try to work out what talents a player has and make the most of them. Our current system is one that tries to work with the tools we have. Cole holding the ball up, (ideally) chipping in with a few and helping to facilitate others (Phillips, CMG, O'Sullivan, Slew, Wildig) and create goalscoring chances. Sometimes it's not always about having one or two strikers who can always bag 10-15+. It can sometimes be about making the most of the talent you have around the pitch to try and chip in with a few each. Mansfield have Rose and Maynard (24 goals between them) yet they are only just above us in the table.
Little Shrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:This fixation on a proven goalscorer/poacher is baffling.

Throughout my time supporting the club since about late 2006, I think we have only signed two genuinely proven Football League level goalscorers: Phil Jevons and Paul Mullin (could possible argue Big Kev and Shaun Miller, although both had only gotten more than 10 in an EFL season once in their careers before joining).

In our position financially, we make do with what players we can get and find a system to make the most out of them. Ellison and Redshaw (yes he had a history of scoring but at non-league level) formed a good partnership. Miller had incredible service from Devitt and Barkhuizen. Collins - who had no noteworthy track record - was a pacy dribbler who largely did well from being alongside the battering ram of either Bennett or Oliver.

We try to work out what talents a player has and make the most of them. Our current system is one that tries to work with the tools we have. Cole holding the ball up, (ideally) chipping in with a few and helping to facilitate others (Phillips, CMG, O'Sullivan, Slew, Wildig) and create goalscoring chances. Sometimes it's not always about having one or two strikers who can always bag 10-15+. It can sometimes be about making the most of the talent you have around the pitch to try and chip in with a few each. Mansfield have Rose and Maynard (24 goals between them) yet they are only just above us in the table.

All well and good if your only ambition is to dodge the inevitable, season after season :?

for some reason, I can't see Derek sticking with this beyond April and expect a more potent front line
pre-season, before the big kick-off.
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:26 pm

Totally agree. Where on earth are we going to pluck a 20 goal a season man from? There is a reason for strikers demanding the big fees and that is there aren't many around. Strikers also blow hot and cold. Look at Ings, did ok at Burnley, deemed surplus at Liverpoo but suddenly he is red hot and destined for an England call up at Southampton.

Under Jim we were creating next to nothing and shipping lots of goals. DA has sorted the defence and midfield so we are harder to score against. He uses Cole as that target man to occupy the defence which he does well. The goals have been spread out but chances are going begging. When Cole has tired, AJ is the man to stretch the latter part of the game.
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Baffling, you find it baffling. Every team wants one(or more,) even if they can’t get/afford/ have one.
Then they have no choice, but to achieve in the way you describe.
Slanester

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:31 pm

HALMA 1983 wrote:

All well and good if your only ambition is to dodge the inevitable, season after season :?

for some reason, I can't see Derek sticking with this beyond April and expect a more potent front line
pre-season, before the big kick-off.

I think you've missed my point a little. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have ambition, I'm more saying that DA will have to be smarter about it than most other managers. We can't just go and get an Eoin Doyle type - we will most likely have to fashion something potent out of whatever DA is able to put together.

The point I was also making was that it doesn't necessarily have to revolve around one goalscorer. Plymouth's (4th) top two goalscorers have 10 and 6, while Cheltenham's (5th) top two have 7 and 6. It's not all about finding that one magical goalscorer, there's a whole team to consider. It doesn't matter who gets the goals as long as they help get results.
Little Shrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:

Totally agree. Where on earth are we going to pluck a 20 goal a season man from? There is a reason for strikers demanding the big fees and that is there aren't many around. Strikers also blow hot and cold. Look at Ings, did ok at Burnley, deemed surplus at Liverpoo but suddenly he is red hot and destined for an England call up at Southampton.

Under Jim we were creating next to nothing and shipping lots of goals. DA has sorted the defence and midfield so we are harder to score against. He uses Cole as that target man to occupy the defence which he does well. The goals have been spread out but chances are going begging. When Cole has tired, AJ is the man to stretch the latter part of the game.

Bang on! Stockton, AJ and CMG etc aren't necessarily 20 goal a season guys - so DA has to work to find a way to get the most out of them, as well as finding goals from elsewhere like Phillips and magic Steven Old from set pieces.
Little Shrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:35 pm

Maybe there's already an expensive 20 goal man in the squad but he hasn't shown as of yet but you never know,
Once he breaks the net, his doubters might have to bin off the 'chicken, ham and leek and eat some humble pie instead :roll:
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Cole should be scoring more goals, everyone knows that. He looks a bit low on confidence in front of goal but his all round game has improved. He is a handful and his hold up play is effective. He is pivotal for the system to work and it does work to a point. People are crying out for AJ to start but you can't start him in front of Cole. We become to lightweight, too easy to play against. Could AJ play off the left, cutting inside and tormenting full backs? Is his body up to it? I would like to see AJ and Carlos playing either side of Cole with Phillips make the late runs.
BerlinWaller

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:56 pm

Too much is being asked of Cole, he's battling hard up top on his lonesome and then he's in the six yard box defending every corner :roll:
Not his job! defenders are paid to defend and he should be left to finish.
HALMA 1983

Postby parceldave » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Slanester wrote:
parceldave wrote:
I think if we had a goal poacher up front we would have been 2 up in first 15 mins , brilliant build up play just squandered .

Squandered might be a bit harsh Dave :D but that sums up virtually all of our games. If we can turn the tide, with the lads we have, then the points will rack up quickly.

Sorry but we just seem to get stage fright when it comes to finish off some good build up play and Saturday in the first 5 mins the ball was played right across the 6 yard area , just needed a toe poke but Justin Jackson wasn't there . :(
parceldave

Postby Slanester » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:25 pm

parceldave wrote:
Slanester wrote:
parceldave wrote:
I think if we had a goal poacher up front we would have been 2 up in first 15 mins , brilliant build up play just squandered .

Squandered might be a bit harsh Dave :D but that sums up virtually all of our games. If we can turn the tide, with the lads we have, then the points will rack up quickly.

Sorry but we just seem to get stage fright when it comes to finish off some good build up play and Saturday in the first 5 mins the ball was played right across the 6 yard area , just needed a toe poke but Justin Jackson wasn't there . :(

No need for sorry Dave. I am agreeing totally with your point, and just a bit of banter regard the squandered reference. We could, and probably should, be a few places further up the table, if only more of the chances we have created, had been taken.
Slanester

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm

When was the last time we had a goal scoring midfielder? Phillips has scored 3 and created as many. Wildig, Kenyon and Toums have all scored recently. The midfield is closer to Cole than we have seen for ages.
BerlinWaller

Postby glagys » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Bri healey
Lee Elam
glagys

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:12 pm

The trouble with prolific goalscorers is they command high wages and they are soon noticed , if we have 2 hard working lads up front keeping the back 4 busy , with a midfield that press hard with tenacity, getting plenty of high balls in we wont go far wrong.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby parceldave » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 pm

Anyone know whats happened to the eagerly awaited new striker . Not used off the bench then didn't even make the bench . :? :?
parceldave

Postby Andy D » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:02 pm

Goal Scorers don’t always require transfer fee’s

we’d Paddy Amond who still managed to score 14 goals in one season mainly played out of position out wide.
Andy D

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:11 pm

It can be done and should be easier given Derek's credentials and contacts but will he see how the land lies? Next season is going to be one of the most eagerly anticipated of all time :o
HALMA 1983

Previous

Return to General Discussion