Management Questions

Management Questions

Postby gbpacker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:20 pm

First of all can I say that I do not agree with the Harry Redknapp view that all football managers are doing a fantastic job. They are as incompetent as other managers in any business. We only have to look at the experts who run the banks to see that putting your blind faith in these people is very, very dangerous. A survey of 1,000 companies in the 1980's thought that 50% of managers were incompetent at best and as few as 10% had a workable strategy to take their business forward to any sort of success. From an outside view it seems to me that the management of Morecambe FC put in less than 20 hours a week each. I arrive at these figures by allowing a 6 hour stint on match days and 2 - 3 hours on four or five other days of the week for training. Do they go and watch other games 5 or 6 nights a week to spot young talent? I remember many years ago meeting David Moyes and his wife at a charity dinner and Mrs Moyes said that her husband worked at least 16 hours a day including training, watching 4 or 5 games a week or studying film to bring young talent to Preston North End. At reserve matches I see John Coleman (Accrington), Gregg Abbott (Carlisle) and Darren Ferguson (Preston) still sat in the stands at the final whistle unlike Morecambe's management team. Who actually goes out on the road and scouts? Do we just rely on older, experienced players who have usually been released from their former clubs to come in like Capaldi? The Open Day was also an eye opener, five a side seemed to dominate with the manager playing, hoping to get selected possibly? I didn't see corner kicks being practised or even defended. Defending against free kicks would seem to be a fairly high priority as set pieces produce a huge percentage of goals but no sign of that either. I have great confidence in the majority of the players and I am sure they will turn things around despite management not because of it.
gbpacker

Re: Management Questions

Postby Christies Child » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:15 pm

Each managment team has its own style of training.

I've seen both JH and SMc training styles and the difference was incredible.....even from watching behind those bushes :lol: . Jh was all about stopping practise matches and telling the players where they should be placed and what they had done, either good or bad. Not sure what SMC's was but certainly wasn't anywhere near JH's, be it good or bad :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Return to General Discussion