Supporters Club?

Supporters Club?

Postby Keith » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Spicy Shrimp wrote:I really like the idea of a supporters club, I could easily whip up a website with ideas, links and stuff if people are interested?

I've taken Spicy Shrimp's comment from the 'Flags' thread to start a new one, specifically regarding the/a supporters club.

Is the original Supporters Club still going? Mike reads here from time to time, he may be able to give an update. If it isn't, is there a will to resurrect one? It has been discussed on a number of occasions in the past but never got off the ground.

I'm not in a position to become an active member but I would join and be supportive of any new one. If the old one is still going, then please use this forum to advertise it.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Supporters Club?

Postby thegentlegiant » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:29 pm

I'd be interested!!
thegentlegiant

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Well, the website is still active although it doesn't appear to have been updated for a while?

http://www.morecambefc-shrimps-supporters.com/

I seem to remember Ian telling me something about having lost the "access" or "password" he needed to update it (as you can tell, I know nothing of technology and how websites are updated !! Doh !!)

Anyway, a great idea to resurrect (if now defunct). And even if it IS still going, let's give it a major push and get some serious numbers of people involved in it.

Mike, any details mate ?
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Spicy Shrimp » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:33 am

Keith, I've pm'd you.
Spicy Shrimp

Postby MfcChris » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Use to travel a lot with OMFSC years ago when I couldn't drive. Would still do now and again now but they seem to just vanish when we got promoted.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:37 pm

I have always found the official MFC supporters club a bit like a secret society freemasons type organisation.

I think it would be easier for Stevie Wonder to join the Ku Klux Klan :lol:

A properly organised and advertised supporters club would be in a strong position to charter and fill a proper coach rather than having 3 mini buses. Anyone else remember when Battersbys used to provide coaches for away travel ?
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby halftimeresults » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Your right but who has the time to run a supporters club?
halftimeresults

Postby Posh » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:40 pm

I'd join. Unfortunately very little time to be active but would be more than happy to help with finance, organisation etc.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:A properly organised and advertised supporters club would be in a strong position to charter and fill a proper coach rather than having 3 mini buses. Anyone else remember when Battersbys used to provide coaches for away travel ?

The biggest difficulty in this is that the different groups of travelling fans want different things from their day out. For example, some fans want to drink a lot, some don't want any drink etc. I think transport shouldn't be the first thing to try and bring together unless the organisers want a major headache!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby halftimeresults » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:44 pm

We now have a place that is open everyday for meeting.
Christmas club
supporters Quiz nights
race nights
halftimeresults

Postby Matty the Shrimp » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:45 pm

that would be great. Me and my dad would join :)
Bring me sunshine...
Matty the Shrimp

Postby Spicy Shrimp » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:49 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I have always found the official MFC supporters club a bit like a secret society freemasons type organisation.

A properly organised and advertised supporters club would be in a strong position to charter and fill a proper coach rather than having 3 mini buses. Anyone else remember when Battersbys used to provide coaches for away travel ?

I've been talking to Keith about me possibly setting up a website which would have links relevant to us, and i'd probably also have a section with the different peoples infomation whom run minibuses/coachs, with their permission of course.
Spicy Shrimp

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:25 am

Spicy Shrimp wrote:
Heysham_Shrimp wrote:I have always found the official MFC supporters club a bit like a secret society freemasons type organisation.

I've been talking to Keith about me possibly setting up a website which would have links relevant to us, and i'd probably also have a section with the different peoples infomation whom run minibuses/coachs, with their permission of course.

that sounds like a good idea.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:08 am

halftimeresults wrote:We now have a place that is open everyday for meeting.
Christmas club
supporters Quiz nights
race nights

It would be a good starting point. Perhaps get something organised for a Christmas club again? There used to be one in JB's a few years ago. It would give people an excuse to go to the bar. Perhaps the grill would put a 'special' on on the Christmas club evening to encourage people to eat in there at the same time? That way the bar is promoted, the embryonic supporters club members have an informal 'get together' and it becomes easy for 'non-members' to become involved... even if those who are 'in' don't think it is, it probably looks a bit like a bit of a clique at times. A 'supporters' evening would make it more open to people who may not already know many other fans to come down and join in.

Even if the old Supporters Club is still going, maybe now is the time for them to have a re-launch to attract new members?

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 am

I hope this idea of bringing back the OMSC gets off the ground. One of the reasons we travel so poorly (in numbers) must surely be down to the lack of a official supporters club. Remember taking their coaches quite often, including four to Boston in the FA Cup. Don't think we have had that many going to a game since Wembley!

It would also be a good way to bring together the often segregated groups of supporters, so we can support the club with more unity. Perhaps a quarterly meeting in the bar to discuss ideas followed by some discounted beer might be a way for the club to bond? :lol:
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Lurchy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Isn't the coach organised by Bob Fleetwood for every away game affiliated with the supporters club?

I don't see how people can blame poor away attendance on the lack of a supporters club. The 3 coach groups that go to every away game regularly advertise, on here, spare seats to games.
Everybody Love Everybody
Lurchy

Postby heysham_mfc » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Lurchy wrote:Isn't the coach organised by Bob Fleetwood for every away game affiliated with the supporters club?

I don't see how people can blame poor away attendance on the lack of a supporters club. The 3 coach groups that go to every away game regularly advertise, on here, spare seats to games.

Where? Not seen any coach travel for the supporters club advertised since the play offs at Dagenham.
heysham_mfc

Postby Keith » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:07 pm

heysham_mfc wrote:
Lurchy wrote:Isn't the coach organised by Bob Fleetwood for every away game affiliated with the supporters club?

Where? Not seen any coach travel for the supporters club advertised since the play offs at Dagenham.

As I said earlier in the thread...

Keith wrote:The biggest difficulty in this is that the different groups of travelling fans want different things from their day out. For example, some fans want to drink a lot, some don't want any drink etc. I think transport shouldn't be the first thing to try and bring together unless the organisers want a major headache!

If the key goal of the Supporters Club is to re-unite all the different travel groups then it is doomed from the start because different people have different aims and objectives from their 'day out'. Some want an hour or two drinking before the game and perhaps stop off on the way back, while others want to set off as late as possible and have a nice leisurely drive, arriving in time for a read of the programme over a Bovril.

Of course what would be useful is opening the different groups up to new fans who want the same experience, and that is where the communication is important. The Supporters Club could 'enable' fans to make contact with the right people and make them feel welcome. As I say, bringing them together on the same coach would probably kill the idea before it got started.

And yes, anyone who is organising transport should feel free to advertise the fact on here.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby thegentlegiant » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:06 pm

If someone is willing to get a new website up and running I would be more than happy with helping with the general running of it all.

we need a new site any ways as the old one looks outdated, no disrespect ment by that.

One of our meeting could involve friendly games of football on the 3g pitches.

We would need to sort a yearly joining fee out, we would need to contact the club to get there support see what they can offer to the members of the supporters club.

Like I say if someone is wanting to get the ball rolling with a website pm me and we can knock a few ideas together.
thegentlegiant

Postby bigreddog » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 pm

I would be very happy to get involved from an organisation point of view, whether it's a relaunch of the official supporters club or a coalition of travel clubs who want to have some focus, afterall (as Keith quite rightly says) people have different expectations of their matchday experience and we wouldn't want to take anything away from those people, we all know who they are, who work so tirelessly and selflessly to put on transport to away games. If we can contribute to bringing the supporters together by co-ordinating themes, doing events at the new JB's and things like christmas clubs, it may help bring about a better relationship between those groups and bring the club and fans closer together.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby ockers » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:02 pm

sorry having been here around 2002 with hodgie and brian c
i couldnt resist........ 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YawagQ6l ... re=related

im sure mike can let everytone know what the current situation is...........
ockers

Postby Gnasher » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Noticeably missing as a player sponsor this year and not listed as sponsoring the gala draw. Hope they haven't closed but the only obvious sign of it still being around are references to Junior Reds.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby outsider » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:41 pm

Gnasher wrote:Noticeably missing as a player sponsor this year and not listed as sponsoring the gala draw. Hope they haven't closed but the only obvious sign of it still being around are references to Junior Reds.

They dont meet/exist any more,
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby MfcChris » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 pm

Where? Hardly anything has been advertised. It seems to me (who would go on the coach as a lot cheaper than 2 people in a car), that certain mini-bus crews are a tight unit and have the same people that go every week, therefore either there are never spaces or they don't want you. I enquired with one by PM about if transport to Bradford was on, how much etc and I got 'Do I know you?'.

I watched Stevenage home games for about 3 years and they seem to do a successful one: http://www.sa4sbfc.co.uk/
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Ntini » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 pm

I was in contact with Mike a few months ago regarding setting up a supporters club in the North East for those exiles who find it hard to get to many games. Unfortunately it would appear that the official supporters club is no longer running as it did originally for whatever reasons. Mike advised me that the best way might be to set up a new supporters club which he would support being chairman of the Football Supporters' Federation (FSF).

I didn't feel I could set up a brand new one on my own, but was happy to try and set up a 'branch'. This offer still stands should anything happen over a new/reforming of a supporters club.

The main reason for setting one up would be that we could meet other exiles (for football and non-football related matters), possibly arrange lifts so that it would be cheaper to travel to more games, and still keep a link to the club even when we are not able to get there in person on a regular basis.

So it has my full support with whatever help I can give.
HOWAY THE SHRIMPS!!!!!

On topic(ish) and proud!
Ntini

Next

Return to General Discussion