O/T Easyjet

O/T Easyjet

Postby Bare bum » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:47 pm

travelling to Athens on Sunday the cheapskate way on Easyjet with hand baggage only.
Just noticed that they limit hand baggage to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm and our rucksacks are slightly bigger. I haven't done Easyjet for some years, does anyone know how rigorously they police baggage size? :?
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Re: O/T Easyjet

Postby RedRedWine1 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Hand luggage isn't policed by airlines, it is done by the airport so it depends where you fly from. I flew from Gatwick last summer who seemed really strict about it. They made every passenger place their hand luggage in a frame that measured the allowable dimensions. Had to give mine a good kick to make it fit. ;)
RedRedWine1

Postby durhamshrimp » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Should be alright with that I'd imagine. Never had any bother when i've gone with them.
durhamshrimp

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:51 pm

The frame thing is done everywhere by easyjet to generate more income , so measure accordingly or you get stung!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby wijit » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:41 am

This is by no means a set thing, but I've never been caught with baggage being a bit too big. They do have these frames at the airports but there is always a sign on them which allows for a great deal of discretion on the size of hand baggage. I'm guessing you're on the 15:00 from Manchester, in which case you'll get away with a few extra inches (oo-er matron!), but the secret is to not take the piss. Have good time.
wijit

Postby Plain Peter » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:57 am

wijit wrote:...... but the secret is to not take the piss. Have good time.

Exactly.
Too many people try it on, and often because a pal of theirs has said that they'll have no problem.
When you check in I'd be very surprised if someone in orange doesn't have a good look at your hand-luggage.
Top-tip: check in early and join the A-Team.
Plain Peter

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:43 am

wijit wrote: but the secret is to not take the piss.

That is definately true however you take it! If it's in a bottle it will be confiscated as a liquid as you go through customs. If you save it for relieving yourself on the plane you won't be spending a penny - it will cost you a quid! :lol:

The size of bag you may get away with slightly but it's the weight of it at check in that I've been done with on several occasions :evil:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Trevor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:30 pm

marky No.1 wrote:
wijit wrote: but the secret is to not take the piss.

That is definately true however you take it! If it's in a bottle it will be confiscated as a liquid as you go through customs. If you save it for relieving yourself on the plane you won't be spending a penny - it will cost you a quid! :lol:

The size of bag you may get away with slightly but it's the weight of it at check in that I've been done with on several occasions :evil:

A) you shouldny have drunk so much
B) taking it through in a bag is a pretty risky thing to do for so many reasons!!!!
:lol:
Trevor

Postby Bare bum » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:30 pm

The size of bag you may get away with slightly but it's the weight of it at check in that I've been done with on several occasions

Well I'm a bit wary because Easyjet now have slightly different rules. They are saying as long as you keep within the size limit there is no limit to the weight, as long as you can lift it into the overhead containers!!

A few years ago we got stung for 70 euros at Granada airport (with Ryanair) for having excess weight on cabin baggage. The thing was we weighed our bags before the outward journey and had between 2 and 3 kilos spare. While away we used some of the stuff we took and bought nothing so we concluded there was a local scam with deliberately faulty scales. Others were also being charged excess (to everyone's outrage) and eventually the police were called to warn us that we either accept or don't get on the flight. Written complaints were responded to with a standard reply about us having agreed to the rules beforehand - we capitulated (couldn't be arsed to pursue for 70 euros) and made a mental note to not use Ryanair again until it became obvious that mostly they are unbeatable deals :?

Anyway I digress, I guess we'll have to travel smaller but not lighter.
A lilo, almost as nice as a puppy
Bare bum

Postby greenshrimp » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:49 pm

They do tend to be quite strict. The trick is to wear plenty of clothes with plenty of pockets...I had shoes and all sorts in my coat last time i flew with them. Expect a slightly more thorough search at security, but you'll get though.
greenshrimp

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:40 pm

I have often felt like taking a piece of lead that just meets the dimension criteria, just to take the piss out of the no weight limit. Alas, I am quite sad.
RedRedWine1

Return to General Discussion