World Cup Bid

World Cup Bid

Postby P/T Indie » Mon May 18, 2009 3:24 pm

"We have first-class grounds. We've got good transport links, domestically and internationally. We've got excellent accommodation. England would be truly honoured to host the tournament."

Good transport links!!

I have yet to use them in this country when you compare it to europe where the public transport is brilliant, and very cheap our transport is far from good.
Last edited by P/T Indie on Mon May 18, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Re: World Cupo Bid

Postby Duffman » Mon May 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Public transport in this country is shockingly bad. Whether you get a bus or a train you know it's going to be expensive and late. I must have the worst luck when it comes to public transport and avoid it at all costs.

Perhaps they're just referring to London which is going to have billions and billions spent on its public transport in the next few years.
Duffman

Re: World Cup Bid

Postby Abbo » Mon May 18, 2009 4:29 pm

It would be good to host the world cup (we wouldnt have to to go through all those bloody boring qualifiying matches then).
Abbo

Postby CASS » Mon May 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Abbo wrote:It would be good to host the world cup (we wouldnt have to to go through all those bloody boring qualifiying matches then).

That might not be quite right..Things are changing I think :?
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Abbo » Mon May 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Oh dont say that ? boring qualifiying games and the same old crap, this is the best England team we have had for a long time and the "we can win it this time"
Abbo

Postby Little Shrimp » Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 pm

P/T Indie wrote
"We have first-class grounds.

Our new ground :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!??? I've heard that Nottingham Forest would have their ground in the world cup :o.
Little Shrimp

Postby CASS » Mon May 18, 2009 4:52 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:P/T Indie wrote
"We have first-class grounds.

Our new ground :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!??? I've heard that Nottingham Forest would have their ground in the world cup :o.

Hoping to build a new ground,named after old red nose....Loads of bars etc.
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Christies Child » Mon May 18, 2009 5:17 pm

The link road from the M6 to the Heysham AND the new Stadium will be fully operational by then.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby George Dawes » Mon May 18, 2009 7:22 pm

i think it's a fcuking disgrace pardon my french, how we haven't held the World Cup since 1966, and Germany Mexico have held it twice since, you only have to look at a superb euro 1996

it's all political just like the euro-vision song contest, when in theory we could have put out the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Cold Play need i go on??

and we'd still go no points = 0
George Dawes

Postby marky » Mon May 18, 2009 8:03 pm

DawZi, until the last decade, we actually had a pretty good record in the Eurovision Song Contest. The introduction of the Balkan & Eastern European nations did create a farcical situation in terms of block voting but I think Saturday's contest with the new system of 50% vote, 50% Jury redressed the balance somewhat. No Eastern European or Balkan nation finished in the top 5 and only 3 in the top 10 (Azerbaijan & Turkey don't really count as Eastern European in my view). I have no doubt that we would probably win if we sent an artist/band with a true pedigree now. Indeed, the Irish, who have a wonderful Eurovision record (but have suffered just like us in recent years and don't have the 'luxury' of automatic qualification for the final), would almost certainly win if they sent Westlife or Boyzone.

As for our public transport... Get away from the oh so popularist derision and it's not so bad. Whilst the likes of Spain, France, Germany, etc have their high speed networks and intergrated light rail systems, somewhere the size of Morecambe, for example, would be lucky to get a couple of peak services each day .
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Quite right Marky, far to easy to take a pop at British transport. You can't compare our road or rail network to any other country in Europe but yet many people do. Yes they run on time abroad, but it's hardly the same given the amount of destinations and flexability built into our system. When abroad, good luck getting anywhere other than the major cities. My mate has a train ticket from Bare Lane to Venice.....in America, a major city like Las Vegas doesn't even have a train station in operation!

Our stadiums are also first class. We are the only country that has not hosted a World Cup in the last 50 years that could host one tomorrow at the drop of the hat.

Nottingham will be building a 50,000 all seater should the bid be successful, though I hope they don't as it will be miles away from the City near Castle Donington where the airport is located.
RedRedWine1

Postby Keith » Mon May 18, 2009 9:25 pm

RedRedWine wrote:
We are the only country that has not hosted a World Cup in the last 50 years that could host one tomorrow at the drop of the hat.

Eh?

Is that a typo or a whoosh moment, because you confused me?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:38 pm

A typo........ :oops:

Scratch the years thing...realistically you can only really put Germany forward as a World Cup venue that could also host the tournament with little planning required, and thats because they held it the thing threee years ago. Not many other countries have stadiums that are designed exclusively to host football matches. Most other countries struggle to put forward credible venues, we have to ponder which grounds not to use.

If I'm honest I think we get penalised because we have all of the infrastucture to host the competition already in place and waiting. It seems to be FIFA's mandate to spread the game. Most countries can't afford to build all these football stadiums unless they have an event like the World cup coming to town. If we don't get it, I hope the Aussies do. They certainly know how to host a sporting event.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, by the time 2018 comes around it will have been 52 years since we hosted a World Cup.
Last edited by RedRedWine1 on Mon May 18, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRedWine1

Postby SirFredGoodwin » Mon May 18, 2009 10:54 pm

RedRedWine wrote:A typo........ :oops:

Scratch the years thing...realistically you can only really put Germany forward as a World Cup venue that could also host the tournament with little planning required, and thats because they held it the thing threee years ago. Not many other countries have stadiums that are designed exclusively to host football matches. Most other countries struggle to put forward credible venues, we have to ponder which grounds not to use.

If I'm honest I think we get penalised because we have all of the infrastucture to host the competition already in place and waiting. It seems to be FIFA's mandate to spread the game. Most countries can't afford to build all these football stadiums unless they have an event like the World cup coming to town. If we don't get it, I hope the Aussies do. They certainly know how to host a sporting event.

I think they maybe too busy organizing some guinea pig racing.

http://www.stonedcrow.com/news_and_spor ... sports.htm
Dear Lord Myners,
Leave the Chairman of the Group remuneration commitee and my windows alone!!!
SirFredGoodwin

Postby marky No.1 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:31 am

SirFredGoodwin wrote:I think they maybe too busy organizing some guinea pig racing.

Welcome back Sir Fred. I see your replacements are still milking the Banking System for what it's worth :evil:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard- ... article.do

You could build a new stadium with the money he's pocketed!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue May 19, 2009 11:46 am

SirFredGoodwin wrote:
RedRedWine wrote:A typo........ :oops:

I think they maybe too busy organizing some guinea pig racing.

Sir Fred

Theres a vacancy just arisen for Speaker in the House of Commons.

Pay not too attractive but you can make it up on expenses !
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Return to General Discussion