Jason fined

Jason fined

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:26 am

Jason has been fined £10,000 by the EFL and has to pay up by May11.

What happens if he doesn't pay on that day OR refuses to pay whatever... :?: :?: :?:

Are the club likely to be fined by a new points deduction going into next season....or are the club legally not responsible for the fine that Jason has to pay :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: Jason fined

Postby Redalert1970 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:38 am

Does anyone really think Jason is going to pay the fine

Does anyone really think Jason cares about the club and it's fans (when did he last attend a game)

If Jason doesn't sell the club are finished

I've watched Morecambe 44 years and it's been taken away from me by just 1 man
Redalert1970

Postby Redalert1970 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:43 am

Rod said on the podcast last week that if Jason paid the money owed to the HMRC the embargo could be lifted straight away

Take it he's not paid it ..maybe proving how much he cares about the club and it's very loyal supporters
Redalert1970

Postby KenH » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:04 pm

Regardless of who is LIABLE to pay (i.e. Jason), if non payment has any repercussions on the club, then the Board should use club funds to pay it to avoid those repercussions, for the good of the club.
KenH

Postby shrimpsontoast » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:04 pm

Why would Rod say that about the amount owed to HMRC? Presumably if any of us offered to pay HMRC what it is owed, the embargo would be lifted.
shrimpsontoast

Postby KenH » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:20 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:Rod said on the podcast last week that if Jason paid the money owed to the HMRC the embargo could be lifted straight away

Take it he's not paid it ..maybe proving how much he cares about the club and it's very loyal supporters

Why would Jason have to pay it when it's not his fault??? Someone within the club screwed up, whether it's an accounting or administrative mistake. A business doesn't just find itself owing huge amounts to HMRC if they've done nothing wrong and not been negligent. VAT is a "self assessment" tax, so the club's accountant or management or whoever is responsible for accounting/VAT has made a mistake!
KenH

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:Rod said on the podcast last week that if Jason paid the money owed to the HMRC the embargo could be lifted straight away

Whether he cares or not, I suspect the reason he hasn't paid is he hasn't got the money.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm

Correct me if I've got it wrong but isn't the fine for Jason relating to him NOT replacing the £125,000 EFL requirement that was taken out of a newly created Bank Account to cover wages in the event that wages failed to be paid on time... :?: :?: :?:

The Embargo relates to the VAT issue with HMRC....
redrobo

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm

This is the sort of thing we are up against

https://theuglygame.wordpress.com/2022/ ... er-people/

Yes the fine is for Jason to pay personally unless he tops up the account that was emptied. The £10K was payable immediately ie 2 weeks ago. A suspended fine of £20K was also imposed to be paid on 31st May unless the account is replenished.

The VAT owed to HMRC is a seperate issue and we remain under an embargo till that is paid. We've paid it once to a 3rd party and are waiting to get it back :?
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:02 pm

marky No.1 wrote:This is the sort of thing we are up against

https://theuglygame.wordpress.com/2022/ ... er-people/

Yes the fine is for Jason to pay personally unless he tops up the account that was emptied. The £10K was payable immediately ie 2 weeks ago. A suspended fine of £20K was also imposed to be paid on 31st May unless the account is replenished.

The VAT owed to HMRC is a seperate issue and we remain under an embargo till that is paid. We've paid it once to a 3rd party and are waiting to get it back :?

Sounds as though the EFL are somewhat negligent in their lack of action against Goldring and appear to accept little if no responsibility for their part in our current situation.

Mind you with the current furore about the FA Cup Replays and their involvement in the decision is it that really surprising.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby black morse » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 pm

KenH wrote:

Why would Jason have to pay it when it's not his fault??? Someone within the club screwed up, whether it's an accounting or administrative mistake. A business doesn't just find itself owing huge amounts to HMRC if they've done nothing wrong and not been negligent. VAT is a "self assessment" tax, so the club's accountant or management or whoever is responsible for accounting/VAT has made a mistake!

Ken, are you saying that the VAT money should not have been handed over to 'the supplier' but paid directly to HMRC? I'm just trying to get my head around what has happened. Is there anyway Jason, himself could be 'the supplier?
black morse

Postby KenH » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

black morse wrote:Ken, are you saying that the VAT money should not have been handed over to 'the supplier' but paid directly to HMRC? I'm just trying to get my head around what has happened. Is there anyway Jason, himself could be 'the supplier?

Details are unclear and vague, but from what I can gather, a major supplier charged VAT on their invoices, they shouldn't have done. The club paid the bills, including VAT which shouldn't have been charged. The club claimed the VAT back from HMRC on their VAT returns which they shouldn't have done (because it shouldn't have been charged/paid), HMRC now want the club to repay the VAT they wrongly reclaimed. The club can't pay it until the supplier repays the VAT they wrongly charged. So both the supplier and the club in the wrong and HMRC just want the club to put right the VAT they wrongly claimed. Not sure why it's taking so long for the supplier to repay the monies they wrongly charged, but that's between the club and supplier, nothing to do with HMRC nor the EFL. Whoever was preparing the club's VAT returns should have checked that the supplier was right in charging VAT and that the club was right in reclaiming the VAT as you can't just glibly reclaim VAT you've been charged/you've paid without checking it's actually a valid recoverable.
KenH

Postby Redalert1970 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:03 pm

It's a complete mess that's for sure

So if supplier doesn't pay money back we will stay under an embargo is that correct
Redalert1970

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:27 pm

Is there any way that the Trust could loan the money to the club OR even one of the more wealthy business men who support the club week in..week out.... :?: :?: :?:

I suppose it depends on the actual amount that is owed....just a pity that we the fans couldn't have organised something when we found out...

:( :( :(
redrobo

Postby KenH » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:27 pm

redrobo wrote:Is there any way that the Trust could loan the money to the club OR even one of the more wealthy business men who support the club week in..week out.... :?: :?: :?:

I suppose it depends on the actual amount that is owed....just a pity that we the fans couldn't have organised something when we found out...

:( :( :(

The latest trust accounts (May 2023) show it has reserves of £26k, which is apparently far short of the money owed to HMRC. Any monies "loaned" to the club would make it an unsecured creditor and if the club went into receivership/administration, that money would almost certainly be lost to secured creditors, receiver/administrators fees, banks, etc. So not really a viable option at all, as it won't be enough and is too risky.
KenH

Postby Keith » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:38 pm

redrobo wrote:Sounds as though the EFL are somewhat negligent in their lack of action against Goldring and appear to accept little if no responsibility for their part in our current situation.

I'm not entirely sure if that's the case. I think the EFL are pretty toothless in terms of what they can actually do? What powers do the EFL actually have in this mess? Football requires a Regulator, with actual power.

If your argument is whether they should ever have allowed the Essex pawn-brokers to buy the club in the first place, then you may have a point.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion