Sky EFL deal

Sky EFL deal

Postby redrobo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:21 am

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2024/a ... om-202425/

I suppose it was going to happen one day that the big guns in the media ensemble would throw money at the controlling body and successfully negotiate a deal that will see the end of iFollow and be replaced by mega media company Sky.

Promises of increased coverage for all leagues under the EFL banner as well as cup competitions are promised and time will tell if that comes to fruition.

No mention of how much financial benefit to clubs has been made public yet so let's hope that our share of a promised bigger pie will be honoured and that the deal will not as it is at the moment be more favourable to the bigger clubs ie Wrexham, and that monies will be distributed evenly across all clubs and that all clubs are given access to match day live coverage irrespective of status or financial muscle.
redrobo

Re: Sky EFL deal

Postby Seasider9601 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 am

Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:35 pm

If I understand it properly the deal for League 2 is for 248 live league games, with each team playing 46 games that’s about 5 games on average each of those rounds. If you get picked I take it you earn more of the money than another team who is hardly on. So who knows what a team will get. Who knows what day you will be playing, the traditional Saturday afternoon will disappear along with the traditional 3 o’clock kick off.
Billy bodger

Postby vvm » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:53 pm

The big question is will every team get 5 games or will we get 1 and someone like Salford get 10? Also would we know well in advance or a few weeks before?
vvm

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:01 pm

They do state that clubs will be notified more in advance.
Big thing for me is when we do actually get picked it wont be a 3pm kick off on a Saturday.

Strange enough they are showing every EFL Trophy game live, that is bound to affect crowds on a midweek night.

TV is king :(
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby vvm » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:24 pm

The crowds were already pretty shocking for the EFL trophy games to be fair. That goes for all teams, not just us. Carabao cup games is an ok addition, you can't get them in any capacity currently (apart from the 1 or 2 sky select for tv), maybe not great for the home crowd but useful when we get Rotherham away again.
vvm

Postby Old Man Kensey » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:25 pm

Why can't they just divide the money equally between all the teams at the start?
So if say Wrexham are shown 10 times and Morecambe just once they both get the same share.

Stop money going to money and keep things a little more balanced and simpler. I'm sure they do this in American Football.
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby black morse » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:45 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:Why can't they just divide the money equally between all the teams at the start?
So if say Wrexham are shown 10 times and Morecambe just once they both get the same share.

Stop money going to money and keep things a little more balanced and simpler. I'm sure they do this in American Football.

Sky will only want to show matches that will attract the most viewers...that's business. Presumably the money allotment will be done by the EFL so it should then be equally divided to each team by them......but I bet it won't be. I sometimes get the feeling that the majority of EFL clubs don't really want the clubs with the smaller fan base even in the league. :roll:
black morse

Postby Old Man Kensey » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:55 pm

black morse wrote:
Old Man Kensey wrote:Why can't they just divide the money equally between all the teams at the start?

Sky will only want to show matches that will attract the most viewers...that's business. Presumably the money allotment will be done by the EFL so it should then be equally divided to each team by them......but I bet it won't be. I sometimes get the feeling that the majority of EFL clubs don't really want the clubs with the smaller fan base even in the league. :roll:

But it wouldn't matter to Sky if the money was divided equally, they could still show Wrexham and Stockport every week.
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby Freez » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:31 pm

They are League above next season, don’t care!! :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:55 pm

Old Man Kensey wrote:
black morse wrote:

But it wouldn't matter to Sky if the money was divided equally, they could still show Wrexham and Stockport every week.

Stockport and Wrexham will be in the League 1 allocation of games, League 2 allocation is separate. If I have it right 5 games a week televised in league 2 on average.

This is a little bit skewered with ALL fixtures being shown on TV on the opening day fixtures and the last day fixtures also being televised, with all games on Bank Holidays also being shown, (Easter, Boxing Day and New Years Day) that’s potentially 60 games. All games to be shown in the weeks of the International breaks x 4 is potentially another 48 games. So that could be 108 on those days when all fixtures will be shown.

That leaves 140 games in League 2 to be televised throughout the season which is about 3/4games a week.
Obviously I think Sky will show games early Saturdays, on Sundays and probably Friday or Monday nights.
Billy bodger

Postby Phil Anderer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 am

This could give me pause over renewing the season ticket. I now have other things on taking my time, and if too many games could be shifted from Saturday afternoon I might just say F*** it and not bother. BTW, I don't have Sky, so I won't be watching it at home.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Billy bodger » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:18 pm

I don’t have sky so I will toddle off down to the Mazuma, I think it will affect gates if your team is on telly a lot and you already have Sky, (maybe to follow a Premiership team), you are getting your local team for nothing. Would I get Sky to watch Morecambe when they are picked to be televised? Well it would cost me more than an early bird season ticket, so I won’t be doing it. Thou’s with Sky on a cold winters day/night might just stay away.
Let’s hope Morecambe are on a lot and get a good share of the money. 1st & last games all on TV alongside Easter, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day so that’s 60 games taken up. The rest of the season there will be probably 3 games a week, Fri nights, Sat dinner, Sundays or Mon nights.

So on Saturdays you might have to find something else to do on Sat at 3o’clock. Dragged off shopping!!!
Billy bodger

Return to General Discussion