Pitch inspection?????

Pitch inspection?????

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:47 am

Not sure what the rain has been like in Morecambe but up here in South lakes it's been almost non stop for the last 24 hours.

The grounds are saturated and as a result it may be that the Maz has suffered. Hence my question about a scheduled ground inspection to see if the surface is OK to play football on without the game becoming a farce.

Is a ground inspection scheduled... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: Pitch inspection?????

Postby twosheds » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 am

I would have thought it's a bit too early for a pitch inspection...the rain should have moved through within the next hour and with the strong wind blowing it should help to dry out the playing surface to some degree...
twosheds

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:32 pm

Barrow v Bradford just called off due to waterlogged pitch.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby vvm » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:35 pm

Barrow had an 11am inspection and have postponed their game with Bradford.

Tough one today as forecast seems to suggest it should brighten up in the next few hours. Think Barrow might have gone a bit early as both pitches may well be playable by 7:45 but suspect we'll have a decision on ours soon.
vvm

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:48 pm

Further rain forecasted for this pm with brighter weather from circa 6pm....

With the amount of surface water I doubt if the pitch will have dried out sufficiently in time for KO.

Hope the games goes ahead but have some doubts.

Barrow's pitch is like a quogmire at the best of times so no wonder their game is off.
redrobo

Postby Redalert1970 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:15 pm

Just seen a couple pics of the Maz pitch and there shouldn't be any problems
Redalert1970

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:22 pm

received_460922192955088.jpeg
received_460922192955088.jpeg (79.37 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby twosheds » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:33 pm

redrobo wrote:Further rain forecasted for this pm with brighter weather from circa 6pm....

With the amount of surface water I doubt if the pitch will have dried out sufficiently in time for KO.

Hope the games goes ahead but have some doubts.

Barrow's pitch is like a quogmire at the best of times so no wonder their game is off.

Latest radar shows main band of rain has moved through...with intermittent showers following on....no sign of heavy rain for this afternoon...

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
twosheds

Postby RedRedWine » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:24 pm

Our new groundsman, Elliot Marshall (@ElliotMarshy15), posted on X (formerly Twitter) that overnight rain leading up to kick-off has not been ideal - but that the pitch just needs to be marked and we are all set. From the pictures he posted, it looks in great condition.

Must say, that our playing surface has gradually improved over the last 5 years or so - but particularly in the 3 years since COVID. Obviously we've had a few different groundsmen during that time, fresh eyes looking at things and new ideas, who each have made an impact (particularly Rob Davidson who now works for Fulham) - but I think the board deserve a large amount of credit for continuing to invest in the facility - I'd say that we are right up there with the best of them in this league, and it compared favourably to teams in League One also.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:28 pm

The sun has just come out and there's blue sky above morecambe!!
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby twosheds » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:34 pm

Better slap on the Factor 50, then.. :)
twosheds

Postby vvm » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:08 pm

RedRedWine wrote:Our new groundsman, Elliot Marshall (@ElliotMarshy15), posted on X (formerly Twitter) that overnight rain leading up to kick-off has not been ideal - but that the pitch just needs to be marked and we are all set. From the pictures he posted, it looks in great condition.

Must say, that our playing surface has gradually improved over the last 5 years or so - but particularly in the 3 years since COVID. Obviously we've had a few different groundsmen during that time, fresh eyes looking at things and new ideas, who each have made an impact (particularly Rob Davidson who now works for Fulham) - but I think the board deserve a large amount of credit for continuing to invest in the facility - I'd say that we are right up there with the best of them in this league, and it compared favourably to teams in League One also.

I think Elliot is the apprentice groundsman and the head groundsman is a guy called Tom Wells. Believe Rob Davidson left in December/January, a new guy took over and almost immediately left before Tom took over the role in late March.

Could be wrong but seems like there was a few month period between Jan and March where Elliot had sole responsibility so if true fair does to him for keeping things ticking over.
vvm

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:15 pm

twosheds wrote:Better slap on the Factor 50, then.. :)
shades, shorts and hawiian shirt too!! 8-)
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Return to General Discussion