Newport 5 Morecambe 3 [Edwards x2, Stokes] LIVE thread

Re: Newport 2 Morecambe 1 [Edwards] LIVE thread

Postby jbc.shrimp » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:48 pm

Keith wrote:
jbc.shrimp wrote:Watching on dodgy stick so a little behind. We look like Sunday league compared to them. We are slow, no control at foot,and ineffective in the air.

You need to check it is showing the right game! Some dodgy defending by us, but otherwise I thought we looked okay. A little bit of luck in the Newport penalty area, we'd be in front.

Keith, what do you say now. All their goals scored by sloppy defending. Whether they are on a break or not, we should prepare for that no matter who we play.
jbc.shrimp

Re: Newport 5 Morecambe 3 [Edwards x2, Stokes] LIVE thread

Postby shrimpsontoast » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:58 pm

Shocking defending, season basically over tonight (absolutely no chance we will win 6 out of 9). Maybe time to give some of the youth team a go in defence? Yes we might have scored a few more tonight, but you are not going to beat any half decent team (Newport aren’t) with defending like that.
shrimpsontoast

Postby shrimp riddle » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:02 pm

Tutonda really sloppy and doesn't look fit. Defence probably weakest its been all season.
shrimp riddle

Re: Newport 2 Morecambe 1 [Edwards] LIVE thread

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:03 pm

jbc.shrimp wrote:Keith, what do you say now. All their goals scored by sloppy defending. Whether they are on a break or not, we should prepare for that no matter who we play.

If you'd said our defence looked Sunday League, I'd have agreed with you, but not the whole team. We played some decent football at times. But we conceded really soft goals (and could have conceded more). Okay, scrub the last one, that was a break when we'd over committed in the last minute, but all four before could have been stopped. But, if Edwards had got his hat-trick, rather than somehow put wide from five yards out, and we'd have been 3-4.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Freez » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:04 pm

Gave it a good go after some daft defending. Missed Joel and Faz, David T had a bit of a mare.
Too many teams have to play each other in the scramble to suggest it’s over yet, but if we are still in with a shout in April it will have been a decent season given the two sides we have had, two managers and the usually off field distractions.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Redalert1970 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:09 pm

Play offs won't happen ..conceding far too many goals .

That's not negative ..that's FACT
Redalert1970

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:51 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:Play offs won't happen ..conceding far too many goals .

That's not negative ..that's FACT

No, that's an OPINION.
Three points outside the play-offs with a game in hand. That is a FACT.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimpsontoast » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:27 pm

Looking at the way things are shaping up, it’s possible that you’ll need 50 to stay in league two this season. The big question on my mind tonight is “will Notts County manage to stay up?”
shrimpsontoast

Postby Alan » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:08 am

Criticism of the Edwards miss is unfair.
A strong shot from Hiwula, well saved by the keeper, with little time to react Edwards just had to get something on the ball. Unfortunately for us it went wide.
Alan

Postby Andy D » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:04 am

5 wins out of 9 or 15 more points might see us in the play offs.

Either way, decent season all thing considered with many saying we would have back to back relegations from L1.
Andy D

Postby black morse » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:27 am

The commentary on I Follow last night thought that the gaffer was given a yellow card last night. Is that a fact?
black morse

Postby redrobo » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:42 pm

OK crap result BUT credit to Ged that at 4-3 down he said 'sod it....may as well go down fighting' so brought on other subs to try and get a 4th goal which didn't work out. How many times do we read of fans saying 'may as well go for it rather than accept the defeat'.... :?:

Obviously our defense simply isn't good enough and we've known that for some time so major surgery this close season for me.

As much as I'd like the lads to get into the play offs I think it could be expecting an awful for us to progress to Wembley (although I'd love to put Wrexham to the sword given half the chance).

Close season will be the time for Ged to really put his game into reality and will be very interesting as to who he brings in in as areas such as defense and striker departments.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Billy bodger » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:21 pm

Suffering from injuries, the players coming in have to fit in and be up to game speed, our back four unit all over the place and the two holding players did not hold anything they gave them no protection because they where indisciplined. We hear Ged and the players saying no easy games, so we have to be tighter defensively, we cannot carry on leaking goals in the run in.

As for the finishing, I’m not convinced about Ged up front, he misses so many chances, look at his stats, yes it’s good he gets the chances, but he needs to start getting them in.

The top and bottom of it we have Missed, Moore and JJ since before Christmas and I am sure we would have been in the play offs now, we would have scored more and let in less.

Ged said six wins from 10, well with other results maybe 5 wins? It’s just more pressure, next three games will be crucial, we need 2 wins out of them. Then we need, Moore, JJ, Faz and Senior all fit for Aprils last 6 games.
Billy bodger

Postby BHmfc » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:03 pm

Some people are asking for major changes in defence over the Summer but if you look at the players we have, Senior, Rawson, Tutonda and Bedeau, they are all quality players, unfortunately we have had injuries and suspensions with all four of these players which means it's harder for them to gel as a unit. Given time on the training pitch and time without injuries and suspensions , I believe all these players are good enough. Moving away from the defence, I prefer to see Slew coming off the bench rather than start matches. In recent games coming off the bench, he uses his pace and strength against tired defences and it seems to work. When he starts games it feels to me he tries to pace himself more.
BHmfc

Postby Angler1 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:31 pm

We need to get senior and rawson back, and JJ too ASAP. We have a good team with these 3 in it.
Angler1

Postby Keith » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:53 pm

Alan wrote:Criticism of the Edwards miss is unfair.
A strong shot from Hiwula, well saved by the keeper, with little time to react Edwards just had to get something on the ball. Unfortunately for us it went wide.

Yes, accepted. Probably more to do with frustration and typing while watching the game. He was in the right position but unfortunately, couldn't quite turn it in.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:29 am

Having a bit of a watch back of the game - I think it's telling that, aside from the fifth goal, it's two midfielders and a wing-back who got the goals for Newport.

I'm not seeing a great deal wrong with Bedeau/Stokes, they're marking the forwards and generally getting in their way. But the tracking from midfield and the defending out wide was abysmal. Songo'o particularly disappointing, he should really be the one aware of the danger that Wildig poses and best positioned to stop him, but he's never anywhere near. Also completely slacked off Charsley for the fourth. Harrack poor for the second goal, had no idea where Lewis was - although I have a bit of sympathy given he was out of position.

Some good football played but the complete failure to track runners from midfield was incredibly frustrating. For me, that's not really on the centre backs. They're trying to mark the two Newport forwards and cover angles as best they can - need the midfield to help out much more for extra runners into the box.
Little Shrimp

Postby shrimp riddle » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:48 am

You make some good points. I noticed that Adams not tracking back quick enough to stop the cross for the first goal. Adam Mayor was good at it. DAs tactics created less open and entertaining football but we harder to score against.
shrimp riddle

Previous

Return to General Discussion