Morecambe 1 [Slew] Grimsby 1 LIVE thread

Re: Morecambe 1 [Slew] Grimsby 1 LIVE thread

Postby P/T Indie » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:42 pm

Spot on berlinwaller it's like we have gone back to the Jimbo days.

Today shows why we won't make the playoffs to do that you would grind out a win today and go 7th/8th instead we drop points and are always 10-13th we are just too up and down.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:05 pm

It is very much like the Jim Bentley days
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:17 pm

Not often that BW and I agree but he's spot on about today's game.

Got what we deserved after a poor performance BUT Grimsby were never going to stand aside after last weekend and all credit to them they they frustrated us by getting int the tackle quicker and performing the dark arts to perfection aided at times by a poor ref who opted not to give them several penalty decisions due o=in part to their play acting which cost them the game.

We simply did not do enough to win and for me this is our season of late summed up. we are simply not clinical in front of goal and give too much away in dangerous areas.

As for the new lad.....a new pair of 5xl shorts is needed....BUT I somehow think he will come good.
redrobo

Postby BHmfc » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:55 pm

I really cannot get my head around what people expect. We lose a manager half way through the season. We make our coach, who has no managerial experience, our new manager. We then lose all our loan players, including a young centre forward who was banging the goals in. We then had to bring in more loan players ASAP, otherwise we would not have a full match day squad and then just to make things that little bit harder we lose our assistant manager. Today, our manager was in the stands, and who was on the touch line, our scouting coach, because we have not replaced John Mc. Also, our new signing, who has been without a club for several months and therefore did not cost the club any money, comes off the bench. For those at the forum yesterday, a fans zone was mentioned, trying to purchase the Tyson Fury property was mentioned and also player contracts was discussed but the underlying theme was, THE CLUB IS SKINT, IT HAS NO MONEY. A couple of days ago we posted a loss of £1.2 million, so under the circumstances to be 10th in the league , with everything going on is remarkable. Ged is doing a great job and I would be more than happy with a mid table finish.
BHmfc

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:07 pm

BHmfc wrote:I really cannot get my head around what people expect. We lose a manager half way through the season. We make our coach, who has no managerial experience, our new manager. We then lose all our loan players, including a young centre forward who was banging the goals in. We then had to bring in more loan players ASAP, otherwise we would not have a full match day squad and then just to make things that little bit harder we lose our assistant manager. Today, our manager was in the stands, and who was on the touch line, our scouting coach, because we have not replaced John Mc. Also, our new signing, who has been without a club for several months and therefore did not cost the club any money, comes off the bench. For those at the forum yesterday, a fans zone was mentioned, trying to purchase the Tyson Fury property was mentioned and also player contracts was discussed but the underlying theme was, THE CLUB IS SKINT, IT HAS NO MONEY. A couple of days ago we posted a loss of £1.2 million, so under the circumstances to be 10th in the league , with everything going on is remarkable. Ged is doing a great job and I would be more than happy with a mid table finish.

It is like we are in a time warp!
BerlinWaller

Postby Billy bodger » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:53 pm

Disappointed about today I just think you need to win if you loose, so not good enough first half. Second half better but once again so many chances but no composure in final third or clinical finish. It’s the business end of the season and a point is a point. We will drop points and so will other teams and that happened today but we got a point.
I personally believe the number of points a team needs to get in the play off’s will not be as high as the last few seasons, that means though we have to do well against teams in the top 10 we have left to play so we don’t get left behind.
Is that beyond us? If it is we will know by the end of March, hard testing games coming up and we have to rise to them.
Billy bodger

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:01 pm

BHmfc wrote:I really cannot get my head around what people expect. We lose a manager half way through the season. We make our coach, who has no managerial experience, our new manager. We then lose all our loan players, including a young centre forward who was banging the goals in. We then had to bring in more loan players ASAP, otherwise we would not have a full match day squad and then just to make things that little bit harder we lose our assistant manager. Today, our manager was in the stands, and who was on the touch line, our scouting coach, because we have not replaced John Mc. Also, our new signing, who has been without a club for several months and therefore did not cost the club any money, comes off the bench. For those at the forum yesterday, a fans zone was mentioned, trying to purchase the Tyson Fury property was mentioned and also player contracts was discussed but the underlying theme was, THE CLUB IS SKINT, IT HAS NO MONEY. A couple of days ago we posted a loss of £1.2 million, so under the circumstances to be 10th in the league , with everything going on is remarkable. Ged is doing a great job and I would be more than happy with a mid table finish.

It's incredible, isn't it? If you even suggest that thinking we should be winning League Two is delusional, you just get insulted. The player, who is so unfit and missed a sitter, was playing his first game of the season! Yes, he's not fit. But our star goalscorer was recalled in January. The guy brought in to replace him is injured, as are how many other players who would be first choice if fit? Yeah, he's far from fit, let alone match-fit.

One of the few things Berlin Wailer and I agreed on, is neither of us blamed Derek Adams for jumping ship, when the writing was so clearly on the wall. The difference is, Berlin thinks despite that, we should somehow have actually improved? We've not even got as many coaches, let alone fit players. We're knackered, and can't even rest players. Some people need a reality check.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:31 pm

"Few things"? :lol:
BerlinWaller

Postby shrimpsontoast » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:35 pm

There’s no place for low expectations in football.
shrimpsontoast

Postby dougiewonga » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:26 am

That's a well crafted, balanced appraisal of our situation. I hope people read it today, (after the emotion and stress of a matchday), and realise every word is spot on.
Despite only picking up a point, we still managed to reel in Notts County and Wimbledon yesterday, and are within touching distance of the play-off positions. It's remarkable that it's even a possibility.
After all the problems that have been placed before Ged Brannan since he took over, I personally think he's showing composure, promise and most importantly, courage. Hope we can hang on to him.
We may yet be disappointed, but no way will it have been a bad season, COYS.
dougiewonga

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:28 am

shrimpsontoast wrote:There’s no place for low expectations in football.

There always will be with some of our fanbase. The one man who came in and did something about was hounded by them and they are happier now he is gone.

We all know the problems the club faces but the club faced these same problems when we got promoted and had 2 seasons in League 1. Nothing has changed since the change of Manager except the expectations of some.

The new striker should be nowhere near a first team squad in that condition, he was so out of shape it was horrible to watch. How must Cammy Smith feel seeing a player like that get thrown on before him? It's all about standards.
BerlinWaller

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:58 am

BerlinWaller wrote:This is a really hard team to watch. The tactics are horrible and we have no style of play. The work rate and effort is first class but just trying to out work teams isn't enough.

Grimsby looked so much better than us for the first half, they out played us and we were bullied. Grimsby who have shipped 20odd goals in their recent games.

Bit brighter 2nd half but still just hoofing it and chasing after the ball. One bit of class from Edwards for the goal but he drifts in and out. The new lad looks so unfit, his arse was 5yards behind his head.

Two very poor sides, a very poor set of officials and an indication of our decline.

Some pretty questionable observations here.

Edwards one bit of quality for the goal but drifts in and out?! Genuinely of the most laughable things I've seen on here recently :lol: He was the best player on the pitch by a distance.

In terms of style, the last few weeks have seen far better passing/movement when in possession. We were a bit overly-reliant on transitions before, whereas now we can also break teams down more with our passing. Don't think we really had that aspect to our play under Derek. Some of the stuff we played against Tranmere particularly was sensational. Think it's hurt us big time not having a proper No9 these past couple of games though - Garner's missed a few chances but he's far more adept at getting himself into good areas than any of our other forwards.

But even despite not having a proper no9 yesterday, we still created a load of chances. Walsall aside, we've been creating way more chances recently than we have done all season - both under Derek and at the start of Ged's time in charge. Difference is we've no longer got the best finisher most of us have probably witnessed in a Morecambe shirt.

Defensively need a bit of work at times, mainly the early goal thing. It's gone from a one-off 'it happens' to almost every game, and sets us back massively. We're a dangerous team on the counter, but when the opposition has an early lead and is happy sitting back a bit more - there's nothing to counter! It needs sorting pretty desperately - hopefully a bit of time to get things right this week ahead of a very difficult game at Crewe next week.

Ged's developed the side in some really interesting and positive ways. I also like how he's maintained the threat on the counter that we had under Derek. Just need to claw back a bit of that defensive solidity.
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:07 am

Not doubting Edwards ability, he is levels above what we have in the squad. He has not got the fitness levels to be a threat for the full 90, after his run for the goal he hid for a bit.

I'm only looking at it as a fan stood on the sidelines, i'm not trying to be Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher. I have watched enough football to be able to know what I am on about but obviously wannabe analysts see more than anybody else.
BerlinWaller

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:31 am

I don't think there is much chance of Edwards being here next season. I see him as another Dan Crowley who put himself in the shop window in the last few months of the season.

Interestingly we are now above Dan Crowley and his new team so his airbrushing us out of his CV may well come back to haunt him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gone_Shrimping

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:35 am

There was a 2nd bit of pure class Edwards, hands up. The half volley from the corner was sublime. I do enjoy a first time strike and that was technique of the highest order. We called them half volleys as the ball had bounced but the new social media expert analysts may have a more modern term.
BerlinWaller

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:56 am

BerlinWaller wrote:Not doubting Edwards ability, he is levels above what we have in the squad. He has not got the fitness levels to be a threat for the full 90, after his run for the goal he hid for a bit.

I'm only looking at it as a fan stood on the sidelines, i'm not trying to be Gary Neville or Jamie Carragher. I have watched enough football to be able to know what I am on about but obviously wannabe analysts see more than anybody else.

Well yes, if I'd just run the length of the pitch at full speed to get the team a goal on my second start of the season, I'd also probably be a bit gassed for a few minutes after. Fortunately, Edwards got his breath back enough to pull off that sublime half volley (which you've since referenced), force a superb save from their keeper following a great bit of footwork, and dribble round 2/3 Grimsby players to win the free kick that ended up leading to Hiwula's miss.

If using terms like 'passing/movement', 'counter-attack', 'creating chances' and 'defensive solidity' is bit much for you and makes me a wannabe analyst, then fair enough :lol:
Little Shrimp

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:47 am

BerlinWaller wrote:
shrimpsontoast wrote:There’s no place for low expectations in football.

Nothing has changed since the change of Manager except the expectations of some.

Oh, well now you've convinced me, Ged is a rubbish manager!!! I mean, just look at yesterday's game!!! He didn't even have Mellon, McKiernan, Mayor, King or Connolly on the bench!!! USELESS!!! And no sign of McMahon either??? What's Ged done with him???

"Nothing has changed"? Okay, if you say so.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:55 am

I'm fortunate enough to remember Garry Thompson and Ian Monks running at their full back time after time during a match and I'd love to see Edwards doing the same. He is a throw back to the old wingers and has the pace and touch to destroy full backs. He dipped out of yesterdays game because he isn't fit enough, not because he isn't good enough.

The Gab Suttons of the world have created a whole generation of XG, transition, low block/high blocking experts that could turn any poor performance in to anything they want it to be.
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:21 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:I'm fortunate enough to remember Garry Thompson and Ian Monks running at their full back time after time during a match and I'd love to see Edwards doing the same. He is a throw back to the old wingers and has the pace and touch to destroy full backs. He dipped out of yesterdays game because he isn't fit enough, not because he isn't good enough.

BerlinWaller wrote:"Few things"? :lol:

There you go, twice in the same thread! 8-) :lol: :lol:

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:26 pm

Manager's comments after the Grimsby game:

"Grimsby deserved to win"
"They were better than us on the day"
"We've the lowest budget in the League, I don't know what you can do with that?
"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XtYxLNbg60

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Freez » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:28 pm

Some decent debate, makes a change from the usual stuff.
Couple of things, obviously all opinions welcome and challenging something you don’t agree with is what this forum is for.
Gwion got MOM, fair enough, it’s all subjective, I thought Joel was superb but can see that only he, Gwion and Faz did themselves any justice on the day. Gwion looks a player alright and did complete 90 odd minutes, and was instrumental in all our best work for me.
Missing Jake T, David T and a centre forward was always going to be difficult, and the first half we were pretty poor. Second half our passing was still pretty erratic but we did create at least 5 or 6 moments where a chance came and went, the save from their keeper low to his right from Edwards strike was top drawer.
I suspect Im alone in accepting that we are probably a decent mid table side in progress and that the play offs, while being in our sights, may well prove a step too far but yet we still could make them.
We drew yesterday, and still made ground on a couple of rivals.
For the neutral Bradford fans present yesterday they probably enjoyed it, fans of either side involved were made starkly aware of both teams immediate shortcomings.
We need Garner, Taylor and Tutonda back for Crewe hopefully to give us some impetus.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby redrobo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:16 pm

Freez wrote:Some decent debate, makes a change from the usual stuff.
Couple of things, obviously all opinions welcome and challenging something you don’t agree with is what this forum is for.
Gwion got MOM, fair enough, it’s all subjective, I thought Joel was superb but can see that only he, Gwion and Faz did themselves any justice on the day. Gwion looks a player alright and did complete 90 odd minutes, and was instrumental in all our best work for me.
Missing Jake T, David T and a centre forward was always going to be difficult, and the first half we were pretty poor. Second half our passing was still pretty erratic but we did create at least 5 or 6 moments where a chance came and went, the save from their keeper low to his right from Edwards strike was top drawer.
I suspect Im alone in accepting that we are probably a decent mid table side in progress and that the play offs, while being in our sights, may well prove a step too far but yet we still could make them.
We drew yesterday, and still made ground on a couple of rivals.

For the neutral Bradford fans present yesterday they probably enjoyed it, fans of either side involved were made starkly aware of both teams immediate shortcomings.
We need Garner, Taylor and Tutonda back for Crewe hopefully to give us some impetus.

I've thought for a few games now that the play offs whilst good for the team and club are just a wee bit too far this season. IF we did manager to get there then can you imagine the prospect of playing Barrow or even if both clubs somehow got to Wembley.... :o :?:

I do however feel that THIS season it is a step too far given all the circumstances affecting our club this season....BUT some will argue that you take what is offered and simply go for it.

For me another season in EFL2 pushing for automatic promotion with a team that Ged built is more realistic especially if the club can persuade those already offered new contracts to stay.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby Redalert1970 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:39 pm

Think Tutonda will be suspended for Crewe game

Might be wrong but he's got 10 yellow cards which I think is 2 game ban
Redalert1970

Postby Billy bodger » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:43 pm

I know I’m pretty much alone in thinking we should play 4-4-2. But I think it’s an option if the 4-2-3-1 is not working. We were caught yet again with an early goal, Slew (in this instance), was isolated up front and kept going out wide, it contributed to a mostly poor first half.

If our lone striker had someone up front to play off him it may help us, just by being out numbered and who ever it is, they end up losing the ball before support arrives. We don’t keep the ball long enough.

This has happened time and again over the last 3 seasons, it’s has helped by playing out from the back instead of just launching it up to who ever has been our lone striker, but ultimately we are instead getting pressed way to easily and it all breaks down way to much.

Perhaps who ever gets the analysts job can highlight this factor of our game and some work is done on this part of our game.
Billy bodger

Previous

Return to General Discussion