Walsall stats and the play offs

Walsall stats and the play offs

Postby redrobo » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:04 pm

Now we know what it feels like to be beaten when the stats show we had 63% possession. How many times in the past have we won with only circa 37% as Walsall did last night... :?: :?: :?:

Our shooting on target needs a vast improvement with only 1 on target out of a total of 15..... :o

Once again and all too often we gift goals in the middle of our box by poor defending.... :evil:

We out passed the opposition 459 to 273 but their route one approach proved more effective on the night whilst our game looked good on the eye but was totally ineffective as the Radio Lancashire summariser pointed out both during the game and afterwards.

Fortunately not much harm done position wise in the league....BUT even if we get into the play offs are we good enough to get back into EFL1 at the first attempt and more importantly stay there for more than 2 seasons... :?: :?: :?:

Interesting how some teams find the step up too much to handle....Carlisle being the latest club to suffer.
redrobo

Re: Walsall stats and the play offs

Postby black morse » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:53 pm

redrobo wrote:Now we know what it feels like to be beaten when the stats show we had 63% possession. How many times in the past have we won with only circa 37% as Walsall did last night... :?: :?: :?:

Our shooting on target needs a vast improvement with only 1 on target out of a total of 15..... :o

Once again and all too often we gift goals in the middle of our box by poor defending.... :evil:

We out passed the opposition 459 to 273 but their route one approach proved more effective on the night whilst our game looked good on the eye but was totally ineffective as the Radio Lancashire summariser pointed out both during the game and afterwards.

Fortunately not much harm done position wise in the league....BUT even if we get into the play offs are we good enough to get back into EFL1 at the first attempt and more importantly stay there for more than 2 seasons... :?: :?: :?:

Interesting how some teams find the step up too much to handle....Carlisle being the latest club to suffer.

Whilst I would dearly love us to get into the play offs I fear the consequences if we managed to get back into League One before a change of ownership. Yes, it was great to be competing against Teams we would once never have dreamed about but the trouble was......we weren't competing, we were on the same pitch but not up to the standard needed. Without an owner who is prepared to properly fund our team I for one don't want us going through that again. I'm happy with us being in contention in League Two. If that Is a lack of ambition then so be it.
black morse

Postby deadorred70 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:15 pm

Perhaps at the moment we,re just aswell being a small fish in a small pond. :(
deadorred70

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:24 pm

black morse wrote:
redrobo wrote:Now we know what it feels like to be beaten when the stats show we had 63% possession. How many times in the past have we won with only circa 37% as Walsall did last night... :?: :?: :?:

Whilst I would dearly love us to get into the play offs I fear the consequences if we managed to get back into League One before a change of ownership. Yes, it was great to be competing against Teams we would once never have dreamed about but the trouble was......we weren't competing, we were on the same pitch but not up to the standard needed. Without an owner who is prepared to properly fund our team I for one don't want us going through that again. I'm happy with us being in contention in League Two. If that Is a lack of ambition then so be it.

I concur , if we look like going up it may just mean Bond Group hang on to us in case the value goes up again.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:18 pm

I'm enjoying being competive, rather than struggling at the bottom.
Just no way in the current regime how we could get a competitive team signed up for L1

Walsall played us at our own game
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby nobbyshrimp » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:03 am

But it is highly likely that we are only so competitive because we are receiving a fare chunk of parachute EFL payment from being in league 1 which will end this summer if not promoted. If we do go up and even suffer another immediate return then at least we get 1 season of mixing with the bigger boys again plus another season of parachute money. Any team in any league that gets promoted finds it a big step up if they don’t invest. IMO league 1 to championship is huge and then up to the premiership even bigger
nobbyshrimp

Postby vvm » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:41 am

League two has definitely been more fun, crazy feeling going into away games actually being able to predict a win.
vvm

Return to General Discussion