o/t Kendal Fc stuck on the IoM

o/t Kendal Fc stuck on the IoM

Postby redrobo » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:31 pm

Kendal FC played the team from the IoM over the weekend and now find themselves and some of their fans stuck on the Island as all shipping and flights have seen cancelled until Thursday of this week according to BBC North West Tonight this lunchtime.

Shades of Prisoners of War going back to the 40's....who I seem to recall where imprisoned on the Island but no doubt our IoM correspondent will confirm or other wise... ;)

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Re: Kendal Fc stuck on the IoM

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:07 pm

There is a sailing tonight at 19:45hrs. It will be a bit bumpy though!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Kendal Fc stuck on the IoM

Postby Scouseport_Shrimp » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:35 pm

redrobo wrote:Kendal FC played the team from the IoM over the weekend and now find themselves and some of their fans stuck on the Island as all shipping and flights have seen cancelled until Thursday of this week according to BBC North West Tonight this lunchtime.

Shades of Prisoners of War going back to the 40's....who I seem to recall where imprisoned on the Island but no doubt our IoM correspondent will confirm or other wise... ;)

:?: :?: :?:

Reminds me of the days when I sailed the oceans courtesy of Her Majesty's Grey Funnel Line.

Almost 40 years ago I was on HMS HERMES, our Flag Ship the previous year down the Falklands. At the time in early February 1983 HERMES was in the North West Approaches of Scotland enduring the weather of all weather.

Sometime on 3 February I was informed my day had died, and I would be flown off to attend his funeral in Lancaster at the earliest opportunity.

The storm endured unabated seemingly forever, all activity on the Flight Deck was suspended, HERMES was being flung about in the North Atlantic like a plastic duck in a bath. At last, on 9 February, the weather abated enough for helicopters to fly, and finally off I went by Seaking via Stornaway, then BA to Glasgow, and finally train to Lancaster. Missed the cremation by half-an-hour......but enjoyed the wake.

Just thought I'd say like.
Scouseport_Shrimp

Re: o/t Kendal Fc stuck on the IoM

Postby Potted Shrimp » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:29 pm

There are many worse places to be stranded!

Its great to see an Isle of Mann based team enter the non-league pyramid and I would love to see them rise through it. It is one of the best things to happen in non-league in recent years.

Given the links between Heysham and the island it would be great to see a friendly between us and them either side. I think I do recall a friendly at Christie Park perhaps in the late 90's? What would be even better would be if they brought back the Isle of Mann tournament which attracted many football league clubs including Man City, Burnley and Wrexham but to name a few.
Potted Shrimp

Return to General Discussion