Current Squad 23/24

Re: Current Squad 23/24

Postby Crazeenick » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:58 pm

Quite pleased with some of those signings - well done Derek!
Crazeenick

Postby Wild Bill » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:51 pm

I'd say we have a mid table squad as it is. A few quality loanees and we might just surprise a few
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby vvm » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:55 am

Quite pleased with the squad so far, expect we'll continue to tap into the loan market some more. Must have had about 6 or 7 loans last year, I know we were definitely pushing the limits of how many we could have in the squad.

Potential for any of last seasons released to return or has that ship sailed?
vvm

Postby Zip It Shrimpy » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:59 am

Are Kieran Agard and Oscar Threlkeld still with the squad for the Burscough game?

Has anyone seen either in action?

Both their prefered positions appear to be well covered. Would their experience and maturity be useful to us or as squad players to cover for injury? We do seem an injury prone squad.
Who'd want to smell like you?
Zip It Shrimpy

Postby RapidShrimp » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:15 am

Agard played on Tuesday again, Threlkeld didn’t. Think Threlkeld was just there to get fitness for himself and help Derek out by filling in for Love who had a knock, looked poor when he played at Warrington.

Can’t see us signing Agard considering we’ve got Mellon, Brown and now Bloxham, plus Slew who can play there.
RapidShrimp

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:18 am

Agard has signed for Dundee Utd
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby glagys » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:26 pm

Has jake Taylor featured yet in the pre-season games
He missed a few games last season
Hope it’s not going to be the same this season
glagys

Postby Zip It Shrimpy » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:40 pm

I'm very pleased with the quality of those whom Derek has signed up so far.
I have two big concerns:
1. Every contract, except Adam Mayor's, expires at the end of the season. We need to be offering extensions in January.
2. Many in the current squad have missed lots of the last few seasons with injuries. Our fitness regime paid off, on the one hand last season, as we stayed in the games longer and scored late on. BUT we had quite a few players crocked (Taylor, Hunter, Melbourne etc). Was that because of the regime? I heard Derek was no longer in charge of training; its been passed to his staff. Is that to avoid injuries as we saw in pre-season to Love and Taylor?
Zip It Shrimpy

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:55 pm

Zip It Shrimpy wrote:I'm very pleased with the quality of those whom Derek has signed up so far.
I have two big concerns:
1. Every contract, except Adam Mayor's, expires at the end of the season. We need to be offering extensions in January.
2. Many in the current squad have missed lots of the last few seasons with injuries. Our fitness regime paid off, on the one hand last season, as we stayed in the games longer and scored late on. BUT we had quite a few players crocked (Taylor, Hunter, Melbourne etc). Was that because of the regime? I heard Derek was no longer in charge of training; its been passed to his staff. Is that to avoid injuries as we saw in pre-season to Love and Taylor?

Agreed about the contracts but extensions can only be offered if we are bought out by then.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Billy bodger » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:07 pm

After watching the game against Burscough Bloxham must start up front, good feet fora big lad. Songo’o was solid in midfield in front of Rawson and Bedeau. Love still has issues with his concentration, so please sort that out but had a good second half. Number 17 impressed when he came on, wanting to be involved with good movement. Adam bulked up so that will help him and scored two good goals. Let’s take another look at the others on Tues night and next Saturday against higher opposition.
Billy bodger

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:28 pm

Really cracking couple of signings this week. If we get lucky with injuries then I reckon there's a good chance we'll manage a top half finish. It's a thin squad currently though with a few having bad records in that regard, so that may well end up hurting us a bit. Still think we should be pretty clear of any proper relegation trouble though, especially with Derek as manager.

Left back definitely needed, especially given Melbourne's injury record. I think we're in need of cover for Songo'o and Rawson too - we're a bit screwed if one of them gets injured/suspended. I wouldn't mind Threlkeld for that reason to be honest, right footed and can be back-up for defensive midfield and centre back, but there probably are some better options out there. Sounds like we've looked a bit more fluent in a 4-3-3 these past couple of games, so I'd like to see us get another winger in if possible. Bloxham and Mayor are very good starting options, but need a bit more depth other than Slew. Need to see a bit more of Smith and Brown to really get a handle on whether or not they would work out-wide. Wouldn't mind another central midfielder too if possible given Taylor's injury record and the potential for Davenport to have a similar issue.
Little Shrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:45 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:Really cracking couple of signings this week. If we get lucky with injuries then I reckon there's a good chance we'll manage a top half finish. It's a thin squad currently though with a few having bad records in that regard, so that may well end up hurting us a bit. Still think we should be pretty clear of any proper relegation trouble though, especially with Derek as manager.

Left back definitely needed, especially given Melbourne's injury record. I think we're in need of cover for Songo'o and Rawson too - we're a bit screwed if one of them gets injured/suspended. I wouldn't mind Threlkeld for that reason to be honest, right footed and can be back-up for defensive midfield and centre back, but there probably are some better options out there. Sounds like we've looked a bit more fluent in a 4-3-3 these past couple of games, so I'd like to see us get another winger in if possible. Bloxham and Mayor are very good starting options, but need a bit more depth other than Slew. Need to see a bit more of Smith and Brown to really get a handle on whether or not they would work out-wide. Wouldn't mind another central midfielder too if possible given Taylor's injury record and the potential for Davenport to have a similar issue.

L.S. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson was present at our game at Burscough yesterday. I think he may be a free agent as his 2 year deal at Burton expired on 30th June. He is 6 feet tall , 26 years old and according to his wiki is a Left Back so maybe lets put 2 and 2 together.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby redrobo » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:38 pm

Stokes can double up at left back I believe....but Jackson would be a good squad member as he can also double up in the centre of the defense.
redrobo

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:11 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:L.S. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson was present at our game at Burscough yesterday. I think he may be a free agent as his 2 year deal at Burton expired on 30th June. He is 6 feet tall , 26 years old and according to his wiki is a Left Back so maybe lets put 2 and 2 together.

Very nice, would be a decent signing and solve the left back problem! Hopefully we can get that one over the line. Hopefully the 10 goals on Saturday have helped :lol:

Going off pre-season so far and his recent roles at previous clubs, it looks like Stokes has been signed as a centre back. The fact he can cover left back is handy, but we definitely shouldn't be relying on him as our only other option to Melbourne.
Little Shrimp

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:46 am

One or two S/Vers have mentioned injuries on this thread. Every player can pick up injuries in their career. But have we signed any with notable injury histories ? Just curious.
jbc.shrimp

Postby vvm » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:01 am

jbc.shrimp wrote:One or two S/Vers have mentioned injuries on this thread. Every player can pick up injuries in their career. But have we signed any with notable injury histories ? Just curious.

Aside from the obvious ones in Melbourne and Taylor, I believe Davenport might have a pretty shaky record in terms of injuries. According to Transfermarkt he's only managed about 20 games in the last 2 seasons and doesn't look like he's ever gotten over 17 in a full season, not sure if that's due to injury or selection but certainly could be a concern.
vvm

Postby turnbull-9 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:18 am

vvm wrote:
jbc.shrimp wrote:One or two S/Vers have mentioned injuries on this thread. Every player can pick up injuries in their career. But have we signed any with notable injury histories ? Just curious.

Aside from the obvious ones in Melbourne and Taylor, I believe Davenport might have a pretty shaky record in terms of injuries. According to Transfermarkt he's only managed about 20 games in the last 2 seasons and doesn't look like he's ever gotten over 17 in a full season, not sure if that's due to injury or selection but certainly could be a concern.

According to a friend of mine who is a Blackburn fan, "he looked good over the seasons he was at Blackburn but was just so injury prone".

To be fair, i think that is why we pick up quite a few players, because they are good players but they just can't stay fit.
turnbull-9

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:25 pm

Wildig wasnt the fittest of players until DA took over...
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:49 pm

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson has signed for a Polish club so we can take him off the possible signings list.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby RapidShrimp » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:01 pm

Welcome Eli King, on a season-long loan from Cardiff City!

Player name / Main position / Other positions / Age / Height / strong foot

A. Smith / GK / 30 / 6’3” / right
S. Moore / GK / 28 / 6’4” / right

M. Melbourne / LB / CB / 24 / 5’11” / left
C. Stokes / LB / CB / 32 / 6’1” / left

J. Bedeau / CB / LB / 23 / 6’0” / left
F. Rawson / CB / 26 / 6’4” / right

D. Love / RB / LB,DM,RW / 28 / 5’10” / right
J. Senior / RB / LB / 24 / 5’11” / right

Y. Songo’o / DM / CB / 31 / 5’11” / right
J. Davenport / DM / CM,CB,LB / 24 / 5’10” / left
J. Taylor / CM / AM,DM,RW,RB / 24 / 5’10” / right
J. McKiernan / CM / AM / 21 / 6’0” / right
E. King / CM / DM,AM,CB / 20 / ?’?” / right (LOAN)
C. Rooney / CM / Youth
L. Dobson / CM / Youth

A. Mayor / LW / RW,LB / 19 / 5’11” / left
J. Slew / LW / ST,RW / 30 / 6’2” / right

C. Smith / AM / RW,LW,ST / 27 / 5’9” / right

T. Bloxham / ST / RW / 19 / 6’5” / right (LOAN)
C. Brown / ST / 23 / 5’9” / left
M. Mellon / ST / 19 / 6’0” / right (LOAN)
RapidShrimp

Postby Zip It Shrimpy » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:52 pm

At the Blackpool game a former director told me we were still in contact with, and have made offers to, several players from last season who are still hoping for better options elsewhere, but would come back if they can't.

The only 3 players from last season still without a club are Oumar Niasse, Caleb Watts and Anthony O'Connor. I wonder if any of these three are the three that Derek is hoping to sign up before 1st September.
Zip It Shrimpy

Postby redrobo » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:56 pm

Zip It Shrimpy wrote:At the Blackpool game a former director told me we were still in contact with, and have made offers to, several players from last season who are still hoping for better options elsewhere, but would come back if they can't.

The only 3 players from last season still without a club are Oumar Niasse, Caleb Watts and Anthony O'Connor. I wonder if any of these three are the three that Derek is hoping to sign up before 1st September.

O'Connor played for Harrogate on Saturday along with a certain Gibbo....

Caleb is a classy player BUT I doubt he is EFL2 material being too lightweight to cope with a more physical game. although technically he impressed when given a run out.

As for Oumar I'd have him back just to provide some experience up front to our current trio of 19 year olds who may as the season develops find the physical demands of EFL2 football week in week out a wee bit too much and as we have no options at the moment Oumar would be a good addition to the squad.
redrobo

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:12 pm

redrobo wrote:
Zip It Shrimpy wrote:At the Blackpool game a former director told me we were still in contact with, and have made offers to, several players from last season who are still hoping for better options elsewhere, but would come back if they can't.

Caleb is a classy player BUT I doubt he is EFL2 material being too lightweight to cope with a more physical game. although technically he impressed when given a run out.

As for Oumar I'd have him back just to provide some experience up front to our current trio of 19 year olds who may as the season develops find the physical demands of EFL2 football week in week out a wee bit too much and as we have no options at the moment Oumar would be a good addition to the squad.

I agree with what you say about Niasse, but I'd be most happy to see Watts return. He showed some class, and don't forget, he's still only 21 years old, so still developing. Niasse hasn't set the world alight anywhere, but could be a good addition to the squad. He showed some nice moments last season.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Zip It Shrimpy » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:25 pm

redrobo wrote: still in contact with, and have made offers to, several players from last season who are still hoping for better options elsewhere, but would come back son still without a club are Oumar Niasse, Caleb Watts and Anthony O'Connor. I wonder if any of these three are the three that Derek is hoping to sign up before 1st September.

As for Oumar I'd have him back just to provide some experience up front to our current trio of 19 year olds who may as the season develops find the physical demands of EFL2 football week in week out a wee bit too much and as we have no options at the moment Oumar would be a good addition to the squad.[/quote]
Zip It Shrimpy

Postby redrobo » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:33 pm

Zip It Shrimpy wrote:
redrobo wrote: still in contact with, and have made offers to, several players from last season who are still hoping for better options elsewhere, but would come back son still without a club are Oumar Niasse, Caleb Watts and Anthony O'Connor. I wonder if any of these three are the three that Derek is hoping to sign up before 1st September.

[/quote]

Write your own posts..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
redrobo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion