Sam Lavelle

Sam Lavelle

Postby redrobo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:56 am

https://the72.co.uk/244021/charlton-ath ... cks-radar/

Championship should be Sam's next destination....

:(
redrobo

Re: Sam Lavelle

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:28 am

So this isn't saying 'Charlton are targeting Lavelle'. This is a writer saying that Charlton should consider Lavelle as a possible transfer target. Absolutely nothing in this, basically just someone saying 'Lavelle is a good player'.

Let's make a few things clear on Lavelle:

- He's under contract till 2022. He's been offered an improved contract which he's deliberating on. Understandable, he's a talented young player who could have a lot of good options next summer, including ourselves.
- Clubs being interested in him is absolutely no surprise. There will probably be several clubs with an eye on his progress. This doesn't mean he's going to leave immediately. There's a very long distance between interest and an actual transfer happening.
- Any club seriously interested will have to pay decent money to get him right now in this window.
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:41 am

Nigel Adkins seems to be possibly the nicest man in Football and is well worthy of a follow on twitter. Charlton are a big club and it would be a good move for Sam but as LS says, its just a person saying that Sam would be a good fit.

I would like Sam and the Club to come to a deal similar to that of CMG. Sign a deal for this season and next on improved terms and look to secure a move next summer. I know football isn't as clear cut as that but lets hope we get what is best for our Captain and Club.
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:45 am

BerlinWaller wrote:I would like Sam and the Club to come to a deal similar to that of CMG. Sign a deal for this season and next on improved terms and look to secure a move next summer. I know football isn't as clear cut as that but lets hope we get what is best for our Captain and Club.

At face value, there's not much benefit to Sam for doing that. If the plan was to sell him next summer, he could play out this season, leave for free, and pocket a bigger singing on fee somewhere else.

But...

What might swing a deal like that is simply how much more he can improve under Stephen Robinson's guidance and having the security of a longer deal, while being a regular starter rather than possibly warming a bench.

I'd love to see him sign an improved deal with the club.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby RedRedWine » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:42 pm

The article shared is poorly researched and inaccurate opinion piece, particularly regarding Sam's time at Bolton.... a club that were unable to sign him to a pro deal because they were under a transfer embargo, and pissed away 12 months of his career to the point where he considered quitting the game entirely. There are rumours circulating about Sam's future however, which have been discussed in other topics on this forum and accentuated by a journalist on twitter. He seems to have good leads in lower league football (@reluctantnicko).... which I suspect is the basis of this article "we should sign Lavelle because other clubs are interested, according to Nicko".

At the fans Q&A Stephen Robinson disclosed that the club has offered Sam a new deal that would make him one of the highest paid players at the club, and that Sam is considering his options. I interpreted that Sam has a few of them - and our offer might not be enough! Blackpool are routinely linked with Sam, an easy connection to make because that is where Sam is from.

Stephen explained at various points of the evening, not just when discussing the captaincy situation, that the club needs to protect and develop its own assets in order to progress long-term. If Sam considers his future to be elsewhere for the benefit of his career, then we won't stand in his way and will be suitably compensated....very conscious that Sam could leave for nothing at the end of this campaign. He also said that there are players in mind that could be brought in to replace Sam if required.

You can't question Sam's commitment to Morecambe, he has served the club with distinction on and off the field. I want him to stay, but realistically we can't really keep him if he opts not to sign for an extended stay here IMO. Its hard not get attached to certain players such as Sam... but I think we need to get used to watching players grow here, before moving on to other clubs when the time is right.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Keith » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:56 pm

RedRedWine wrote:You can't question Sam's commitment to Morecambe, he has served the club with distinction on and off the field. I want him to stay, but realistically we can't really keep him if he opts not to sign for an extended stay here IMO. Its hard not get attached to certain players such as Sam... but I think we need to get used to watching players grow here, before moving on to other clubs when the time is right.

Agree with all the post, but in particular this last point. We shouldn't just "get used to watching players grow here, before moving on to other clubs", we should welcome it. This is undoubtably the best way for the club to progress. I'll be watching Luton with interest and pride if/when Carlos shines. The same if/when Sam moves on. What we don't want is to lose our developed assets for free. Selling Carlos may be why we can afford to offer Sam a record salary? Regardless, while I hope he signs, if he leaves us, and that money helps to secure the club's future, then great.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby P/T Indie » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:25 pm

Apparently part of our business plan is to sell one player per year and obviously SR buys into this as well.

It's the only way a club our size can compete with the big boys and it's a model that has been long overdue.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby black morse » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:19 pm

P/T Indie wrote:Apparently part of our business plan is to sell one player per year and obviously SR buys into this as well.

It's the only way a club our size can compete with the big boys and it's a model that has been long overdue.

Makes sense but maybe Derek decided he couldn't buy into it?
black morse

Postby Dublin Shrimp » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:55 am

I heard from a good source that Blackpool have increased their offer
Dublin Shrimp

Postby black morse » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:24 am

Dublin Shrimp wrote:I heard from a good source that Blackpool have increased their offer

If a deal is near neither side will want to risk him getting injured on Saturday.
black morse

Postby redrobo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:33 am

IF a deal has been on the cards for some time then his absence last Saturday from our team is understandable....

Nothing is done yet but if he goes to his home town club then I'll wish him well and look forward to a new central defense partnership this season.
redrobo

Postby Screenster » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:11 pm

On the bench today, surely there's more to it than saving him for midweek?
Screenster

Postby al1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:32 am

Wycombe apparently after Sam
al1

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:03 am

al1 wrote:Wycombe apparently after Sam

The more clubs after him, the better! But, I'd hope he goes up a division if/when he goes.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Andy D » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:27 am

with Delaney out with a long term injury i think we will need to keep hold of Sam!

at this stage of the season replacing Delaney will be hard enough let alone Lavelle aswell, it would be to unsettling to the team trying to climb to safety.
Andy D

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 am

al1 wrote:Wycombe apparently after Sam

Sideways/downwards move. Can't see them paying the sort of fee we would want and can't see moving to Wycombe appealing much to Sam.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:52 am

Andy D wrote:with Delaney out with a long term injury i think we will need to keep hold of Sam!

at this stage of the season replacing Delaney will be hard enough let alone Lavelle aswell, it would be to unsettling to the team trying to climb to safety.

SR could sell Sam and replace him with 2 or 3 players, similar to the way Villa dealt with the Grealish money
BerlinWaller

Postby Andy D » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:34 am

BerlinWaller wrote:
Andy D wrote:with Delaney out with a long term injury i think we will need to keep hold of Sam!

SR could sell Sam and replace him with 2 or 3 players, similar to the way Villa dealt with the Grealish money

Yes, but we're running out of time, and the transfer window closes on August 31st,
Andy D

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:38 pm

Andy D wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:

Yes, but we're running out of time, and the transfer window closes on August 31st,

Didn't SR say he had players lined up to replace Sam if he did move on?

Wycombe fans are fuming on Twitter about it being called a sideways move for Sam. I love how us being in League 1 is rattling these MASSIVE clubs.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:35 am

Fans of small village team Wycombe reckon Sam has gone on twitter about the move rumour.
redrobo

Postby glagys » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:56 pm

Think he could do better than Wycombe
glagys

Postby Redalert1970 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:54 pm

Really looked passionate at full time tonight

Hope he stays - results like this might just get him to sign new contract
Redalert1970

Postby Keith » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:26 pm

I really hope it isn't a case of having an agent, turning his head and promising the earth. If he was to go to [say] Blackpool, then fair enough because they are a Championship club and he supports them. Even one of the smaller Championship clubs, like Blackbum Rovers would be acceptable. But another League One side? Might be a pay rise, but hardly a positive career move. In that case, he'd be better staying with us.

I hope, after tonight, he realises there is something special happening at the club, signs a new contract, and then he can focus fully on his football again.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Andy D » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:03 am

Redalert1970 wrote:Really looked passionate at full time tonight

Hope he stays - results like this might just get him to sign new contract

agreed, looked like he pointed to his badge when he came over to the away end after final whistle.
Andy D

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:47 am

I was told (and it might be absolute tosh) that he was actually down in Wycombe yesterday discussing formalities etc'. The rumour mill of course now suggests that it didn't go to plan.
If he was down there it was an outstanding effort to get back up north to play at Rovers.

Really hope he signs an improved extended contract with us because he is Mr Consistency and a real leader. Probably one of the youngest captains we've ever had.

UTS
BNBT
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Next

Return to General Discussion