more fans???

Re: more fans???

Postby Abbo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 pm

campdave, what planet are you on surely even you can see what a fickle support Morecambe FC has, if we were going for promotion our gates would be pushing last seasons but were not so were back to the hardcore support, the glory hunting fans wont come to watch cos there is nothing at the end of the season for them, simple as!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Abbo

Postby campdave » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Abbo wrote:campdave, what planet are you on surely even you can see what a fickle support Morecambe FC has, if we were going for promotion our gates would be pushing last seasons but were not so were back to the hardcore support, the glory hunting fans wont come to watch cos there is nothing at the end of the season for them, simple as!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And continuing to whine on about it on an internet forum is going to achieve what? Glory hunters turn up at clubs up and down the country when they're doing well, and hide way when they're not doing well. It's not a problem specific to Morecambe, and not one we can easily solve.
campdave

Postby Abbo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:06 pm

Im certainly not whining, just stating facts my friend, so you think, if the club were in the top 6 that we wouldnt be getting bigger crowds do you ?
Abbo

Postby campdave » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Abbo wrote:so you think, if the club were in the top 6 that we wouldnt be getting bigger crowds do you ?

I don't think that at all, I even said so in my post.
campdave

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:17 pm

This is funny.

there are usually about 10-15 people on the board at any given time unless something has happened.

There are usually about 100-150 people on Burnley fc board at any given time unless something has happened.

If you look on their board they have quite a lot of members from their Asian community.

Burnley seem to be having a good season and their attendance ratio on their board- to games seems to be in 10-1 as does ours, their asians could be our poles and it would mount up if we all started a mormon style recruitment drive in the west end. hence ,I move that we start the pole a week campaign!!!

if all fifteen of us can persuade on pole per week to come to christie park week in week out and ask our NPF to join our campaign, we could be as big as burnley in about 127 years!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:31 pm

campdave wrote:
Abbo wrote:so you think, if the club were in the top 6 that we wouldnt be getting bigger crowds do you ?

I don't think that at all, I even said so in my post.

I don't agree I think and I have notices that some people near me in the north stand only turn up when we are doing well and when thing are not just going quite right they tend to stay away
heysham_mfc

Postby Abbo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:18 pm

cheers heysham-mfc glad someone else agrees with me !!!!!!!!
Abbo

Postby Star08 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29 pm

There's been a lot of talk here about attracting 'this group' and 'that group' to the matches instead of looking at the experiences (which are potentially enjoyable to all cultures/groups) we're trying to attract people to. . . i.e. watching good football, actively contributing to the atmosphere at matches (singing, shouting at the ref, cheering on the lads, having a laugh with Christie the Cat), doing that new load of balls game at half time, joining shrimpsvoices, participating in a community etc etc. These are the things that bring people together and that are attractive to newcomers and families (especially dads and lads).
I've only been watching Morecambe for a few years...before that I hadn't been to a game for over 20 years (and I'm still only 21!!!) but what I like about watching Morecambe is that we're near enough the pitch to see the players, the players are accessible and friendly, it's never the same game twice (or even in the same game), the atmosphere at matches is great, its just generally fun, and (a big bonus for me) I feel safe enough to go along on my own. . . so perhaps Morecambe FC marketing needs to bear all this in mind too
'What the hell'..its always the right decision

When you realise we are all mad life starts to make sense
Star08

Postby marky » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:05 am

Ok, I'm confused. How is it possible to have not been to a game for over 20 years yet simultaneously be 21 and have been watching Morecambe for a few years? The maths doesn't work for that one I'm afraid ;)
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby RedRedWine1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:33 am

Hmmmm..... and here was me thinking everybody loved students. :lol:

This thread seems to be covering quite a broad spectrum of views at the moment.

Back to one of my points; maintain the younger supporters who seem to vanish at an alarming rate once they hit a certain age. As I mentioned, we currently have a largish bunch of young teens that stand at the top of the north stand. These teens show great enthusiasm towards the side (too much for some moaning old gits). I can see linkages between them and other groups of teens who used to be prominent amongst our support, but now you hardly ever see (I'm assuming they no longer go to games, like a lot of the people who used to attend when I was a regular in my younger years).

What I'd like to see is the club actively involving the current crop of teens in the club a lot more, and making them feel even more a part of it in an attempt to keep hold of some of them when their voices break. I guess that many of them may have had contact with the club at a young age through summer soccer schools, football in the community and possibly a free season ticket when they left primary school. From what I can see there is not much involvement between the club and these youngster once they get to this age where other activities become more enticing. Something simple like a club official confronting them about how well they support the club, inviting to show them round parts of the ground that they would not normally see or introducing them to a player could maintain that connection for years to come. Potentially a lot of reward and good will, for doing relatively nothing.
RedRedWine1

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:47 am

RedRedWine wrote:...Something simple like a club official confronting them about how well they support the club, inviting to show them round parts of the ground that they would not normally see or introducing them to a player could maintain that connection for years to come. Potentially a lot of reward and good will, for doing relatively nothing.

Exactly!

Someone approach them and tell them if they turn up an hour earlier for the next game they will be shown around the changing rooms and meet Sammy. Fifteen minutes of someone's time and they are made to feel valued. I'm sure they are valued... but it's good to feel it.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Star08 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:18 pm

marky wrote:Ok, I'm confused. How is it possible to have not been to a game for over 20 years yet simultaneously be 21 and have been watching Morecambe for a few years? The maths doesn't work for that one I'm afraid ;)

Well maths was never my strongpoint...but I can still pretend to be 21 can't I? RRRR :roll:

Star08

Postby Abbo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:05 pm

You can pretend all you like but you certainly dont look it, thats what iv been told, ha ha
Abbo

Postby seasonsinthesun » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Abbo, I think your comments are well thought out and usually spot on, and there is a lot of common sense and logic in what you say. If you could bottle it you could make a lot of money.
Coates Pearson Street Baldwin Bennett Sutton Done Roberts Kershaw Webber Richmond Galley - Shrimps '74 Legends
seasonsinthesun

Postby Abbo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:16 pm

seasonsinthesun, i think im in love with you, ha ha
Abbo

Postby Star08 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:34 pm

Abbo wrote:You can pretend all you like but you certainly dont look it, thats what iv been told, ha ha

May your underwear be infested by the fleas of a thousand camels Abbo...but please keep them to yourself :D

seasonsinthesun wrote:Abbo, I think your comments are well thought out and usually spot on, and there is a lot of common sense and logic in what you say. If you could bottle it you could make a lot of money.

Oh really!!!! :roll:

Star08

Postby morecambe mick » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:21 pm

Star08 wrote:
Abbo wrote:You can pretend all you like but you certainly dont look it, thats what iv been told, ha ha

May your underwear be infested by the fleas of a thousand camels Abbo...but please keep them to yourself :D

seasonsinthesun wrote:Abbo, I think your comments are well thought out and usually spot on, and there is a lot of common sense and logic in what you say. If you could bottle it you could make a lot of money.

Oh really!!!! :roll:

Too late, it's already been done!!

morecambe mick

Postby Abbo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:34 pm

morecambe mick. how could you post such a hurtfull thing ha ha
Abbo

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Two ideas to get some of the bored students down to Christie of a Saturday.

Firstly, someone send me some eye-catching posters to put up on the notice boards on campus advertising games; with some simple directions of how to get there.

Secondly, invite uni and college sports teams to have a shootout or skills challenge competition at half time or pre-match. Could be a crossbar challenge like people have said or something more original or daft. Lots of their mates would come down to cheer them on and there is lots of rivalry between different colleges to make it competitive.

Thirdly, how about an Ex-Factor style competition were Sammy and Mark could judge to see which player could play a game for the Morecambe first team. Bit controversial, but if we are safe with a few games to go, let them play a League 2 game. If things are a bit tight we could always give them a half in Wayne's testimonial or a pre-season friendly.

Even if these events don't prove to be cost effective for the club they will at least raise the profile of the club at the uni and could become a regular thing.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby CASS » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:13 am

Ok it's late I know but I from time to time get inspired as the new day dawns. One Idea I had whilst reflecting the situation (Stuck in a Hotel Bedroom in Stockholm at the time,which rather throws cold water on the Swedish sex for all myth) was to Change the minimum recruitment age of the Shrimpetts to 18 and get them out :D not only pre match but also @ half time,pulling a few shapes in front on the North stand.Maybe Aspers could be consultant costume designer !.
Another great draw would be for the Lunesdale Girl Pipers to reform,There was no finer sight on a windy day than that troop of girls marching in their knee socks, kilt blowing with gay abandon,with two hands on the "chanter" whilst gently squeezing the bag,The great Len Henson
striding out in front and thinking "Great Crowd full of young men" But it was not the Pipers redition of the "Bannock's O'Barley Meal" that drew us it was the flash of Knicker leg,that delicate length of thigh twix knee and beyond..That was the draw.
Ok I also had another Idea where you could perhaps get a few fresh faces in, I think it could be termed as "Stealth admission" ....Whenever kid's have played at half time they have always had a good reception from the North Stand,But we only ever host the Final of "This or that Cup"
Let's have a "North Stand or SV cup" for the kids,K.O. basis having the final in the spring.
invite local Schools to participate. Ok Kids do not pay but they do not come on their own.granddad etc would gladly pay to see little Brooklyn score the winner at the pie.
Any way...I have been told........to fecofto bed so I may edit when I arise
http://nbutalad.blogspot.com/
Reflections of a grand l'al spot.
CASS

Postby Aspers » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm in.
Aspers

Previous

Return to General Discussion