Derek Adams’ Keepers

Derek Adams’ Keepers

Postby RapidShrimp » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:01 pm

I just wondered how everyone rates Derek’s keepers that he has employed for a first-team role during his tenure. Everyone one of them has shown glimpses of quality, however, as recently seen with Letheren being dropped, they’ve all gone through their ups and downs (maybe except from one of them - I’ll let you work that one out for yourself!).

In all competitions, under Derek Adams:
Halstead 19/20 - 12 apps, 22 conceded;
Mafoumbi - 9 apps, 10 conceded;
Turner - 17 apps, 26 conceded;
Halstead 20/21 - 16 apps, 25 conceded (bearing in mind 11 came against Premier League sides);
Andresson - 2 apps, 0 conceded;
Letheren - 7 apps, 9 conceded.

Of course, goals conceded isn’t a perfect measure of judging ability, due to the quality of the defence in front of you being a factor, and also the standard of opposition faced (e.g. as I’ve noted above with Mark this season).

What these stats indicate, to me at least, is that Mark looks like he’s improved massively upon last season - when you take away the Newcastle & Chelsea games, he’s averaging 1 goal conceded per game, however our defence has improved significantly so it’s hard to judge.
RapidShrimp

Re: Derek Adams’ Keepers

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:42 am

I think people were a little harsh on Mafoumbi. Had a couple of questionable decision making moments towards the last few games, but generally was pretty solid and a good shot stopper. Made a great penalty save against Walsall which was huge in us winning that game.

When you take away games against Premier League sides that's 15 conceded in 14 for Halstead, which is the best performance (hard to weigh up Andresson properly after two games, although he was very good) of our keepers under DA.

There isn't a great deal between him and Letheren I think, but Halstead is edging it for me currently after Tuesday. A couple of decent stops and some excellent handling in the second half to help keep everything calm at the back. Letheren is vocal but Halstead looks to have a good understanding with his back line.

Will try and dig them out, but I saw on Twitter a couple of goalkeeping performance graphs for League Two and Turner was comfortably one of the worst performing. Strange as Bolton fans all rated him from his time there. Just seemed to have very little shot stopping in him and there were several breakdowns in communication between him and the back line.

Edit - I've found the graph now, and things look very bad for Turner and better than I realised for Halstead!

https://twitter.com/xG_data/status/1362094303871401995

(Post shot xG is basically the ending location of the shot - like bottom corner - taken into account as well, so is a good measure of how difficult a shot the goalkeeper may be facing)
Little Shrimp

Postby redrobo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:40 am

Goalkeepers at any level make mistakes but their mistakes are for all to see and are often amplified resulting in defeats and blame apportioned to them whereas in general outfield players although not infallible can get away with the odd error.

:?: :?: :?:

For me Mark has and will be our Number 1 for the remainder of this season. He has improved tremendously this season and I put that down to the coaching he has been getting from former Number 1 Baz who has and is still a tremendous servant to our club who deserves credit for the way that Mark has risen above all the other pretenders to his position in the team.
redrobo

Postby Caton83 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:00 pm

If Mark can stay in the side and do well, regardless of where we finish, he may well earn himself a contract, although in reality, it will be elsewhere. Good look to him anyway
Caton83

Postby Keith » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:09 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:(Post shot xG is basically the ending location of the shot - like bottom corner - taken into account as well, so is a good measure of how difficult a shot the goalkeeper may be facing)

Checking I'm understanding the graphs... does this mean that Mark is statistically the best keeper in League Two but also suggests that he's faced easier shots than most keepers? Is it saying (from the graphs) that Mark has a better understanding with the defence, so that they limit opposition attacks to more difficult (from an attacker's perspective) shots, that are therefore easier to save?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby tim-sanchez » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:42 pm

Keith wrote:
Little Shrimp wrote:(Post shot xG is basically the ending location of the shot - like bottom corner - taken into account as well, so is a good measure of how difficult a shot the goalkeeper may be facing)

Checking I'm understanding the graphs... does this mean that Mark is statistically the best keeper in League Two but also suggests that he's faced easier shots than most keepers? Is it saying (from the graphs) that Mark has a better understanding with the defence, so that they limit opposition attacks to more difficult (from an attacker's perspective) shots, that are therefore easier to save?

I'd say Rory Watson or Lawrence Vigouroux come off best from the charts. They face difficult shots but consistently make saves. Vigouroux is the goalkeeper who seems to be performing "best" in that he concedes far fewer shots compared to what would be expected.

Mark performs very well, but because the shots he faces aren't as difficult his performances don't stand out as much. However, Turner comfortably stands out as the worst goalkeeper. Facing easy shots and letting in more than he should.

It's definitely partially down to the defence as well, both Turner and Halstead didn't face particularly difficult shots. It suggests we limit them to long-range efforts or efforts out wide, rarely clear-cut chances.
tim-sanchez

Postby Little Shrimp » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 pm

Keith wrote:

Yeah pretty much! There are different ways you can interpret some of the details, so there is no hugely definitive best/worst answer - although Turner is probably as close to worst as you're going to get.

I think you'd probably give the best keeper titles to those in the top right of the graph facing the harder shots. But like you say, a lower shot quality faced shows a very good team/defence but could also arguably be partially down good communication with the keeper. Always difficult to pin this kind of thing down though as there isn't really a solid definitive way to measure communication.

While I wouldn't personally say the graph is saying Halstead is the best, it's definitely saying he's up there and that our defence is helping him out too! He's facing easier shots, and on top of that saving about 0.14 more goals per 90 mins than 'expected'. Turner, in comparison, faced marginally easier shots and conceded 0.5 more goals per 90 mins than expected.
Little Shrimp

Postby Caton83 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:39 pm

Are there any viable options that anyone might know is out of contract next season ?. Cant see MH or KL being offered new deals when their deals expire
Caton83

Postby alicanteshrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:14 pm

He,s young and i have never seen him but is everybody writing off De medes silva as a possibility.
alicanteshrimp

Postby alicanteshrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:19 pm

We did let Davies go and he went on to have a career at a higher level.
alicanteshrimp

Postby Freez » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:25 pm

Stabby didn’t fancy Scott tbf. Good luck to him, he has done well.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby alicanteshrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:38 pm

He still played him at wembley even after signing a loan keeper.
alicanteshrimp

Postby Freez » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:48 pm

Scott played in the second leg when Drenchy went off injured and did ok. I think we signed a back up for Wembley in case the same happened to Scott.
Then when we got in League Two, we managed to get Joe Lewis on loan, which was a complete bonus. :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby nobbyshrimp » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:14 pm

Chris Neal was on the bench at Wembley on loan from PNE before signing for Shrewsbury

And now he is playing for Jimbo
nobbyshrimp

Postby redrobo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:46 am

nobbyshrimp wrote:Chris Neal was on the bench at Wembley on loan from PNE before signing for Shrewsbury

And now he is playing for Jimbo

....and last season I think he was at high spending Salford where he was probably on a fair amount of money which suggests that to agree to move to Fylde he could still be on a fair wack....but good on 'im if he's still able to command high bucks... :)
redrobo

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:03 pm

Letheren back between the sticks today
Redalert1970

Postby redrobo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:08 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:Letheren back between the sticks today

Thought Mark had a decent game the other night but DA obviously now sees Letheren as his preferred choice..... :cry:

Slew also on the bench after creating a couple of the goals.... :!: :!: :!:

After what many thought was our best performance for some time DA changes the team.... :?: :?: :?:

5 changes from Tuesday....https://www.morecambefc.com/matches/fix ... 06-mar-21/
Last edited by redrobo on Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redrobo

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:15 pm

We have 52 points so far this season

Derek can make 11 changes every game if he want`s

If it continues to get results who cares
Redalert1970

Postby MfcChris » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:30 pm

Redalert1970 wrote:We have 52 points so far this season

Derek can make 11 changes every game if he want`s

If it continues to get results who cares

Have you got a split personality?

You’re always moaning we don’t keep many clean sheets or when we go 1 down, but who cares if we win 2 or 3 to 1.

If it continues to get results who cares.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:11 am

A fantastic thread on League 2 Goalkeepers. Judge for yourself but it looks like Letheren is outperforming Mark in most categories but Jake Turner doesn't fair too well.

Carl comes and claims more crosses and the shot stopping between him and Mark are fairly similar.

https://twitter.com/ReportPosh/status/1 ... 09604?s=19
BerlinWaller

Postby Andy D » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:25 am

BerlinWaller wrote:A fantastic thread on League 2 Goalkeepers. Judge for yourself but it looks like Letheren is outperforming Mark in most categories but Jake Turner doesn't fair too well.

Carl comes and claims more crosses and the shot stopping between him and Mark are fairly similar.

after a shaky start Carl is starting to settle in.
Andy D

Postby Phil Anderer » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:40 pm

Andy D wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:A fantastic thread on League 2 Goalkeepers. Judge for yourself but it looks like Letheren is outperforming Mark in most categories but Jake Turner doesn't fair too well.

after a shaky start Carl is starting to settle in.

Kyle?
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby RapidShrimp » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:09 pm

Another top performance from Kyle yesterday
RapidShrimp

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:18 pm

I wasn't hugely convinced by Letheren and thought he didn't really offer anything more than Halstead, and was if anything are marginally weaker shot stopper. But since Harrogate he's been very good, with the way he dealt with their long throws and set pieces really excellent (for me, Jones's throws were nastier than Tozer's).

Had a solid game vs Cheltenham with a good save up high from close range, and he didn't do much wrong against Cambridge. Think he deals well with kicking first time from back passes. The pitches are particularly treacherous at the moment, and he judges the bobbles very well to get a good connection.
Little Shrimp

Return to General Discussion