The York Hotel-End of an era

The York Hotel-End of an era

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:31 am

I have heard that the York has shut it's doors for the last time and will be turned in to flats. A victim of the pandemic sadly.

It got me thinking about how important it was for fans back in the days of Christie Park. I bet some of the older lads could tell stories that would put these young un's to shame!

It would be good to have a thread of memories and pictures from the lads who went in there.
BerlinWaller

Re: The York Hotel-End of an era

Postby lancaster shrimp » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Sad times indeed i remember 17 year old me in there after the York playoff game. I'm sure lots of fans will have lots of memories. When I turned 18. It was a pint in there before heading down to the chippy next to C.P. Good times.
lancaster shrimp

Postby Slanester » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:22 pm

That really is a shame. Not speaking from a Morecambe fan perspective, but living on Lancy Rd, I spent many good, good hours in there, starting as a 16 year old, some 40 years ago.( Followed Derby then, reformed now thankfully.) County snooker, then the York next, on the way to town. Always busy, good beer, a proper boozer. Look forward to reading the Shrimps memories.
Slanester

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:48 pm

I went in the night before i got married in June 2007. My Dad spotted Danny Carlton drinking in there and went over all star struck, shook his hand and thanked him for that goal. That made him much prouder than me getting married!
Last edited by BerlinWaller on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:36 pm

By no means have I ever been a frequent pub goer but on the one occasion when I did go into the York it was for that ill fated Daggers play off game. So upset with the game and its outcome that it NEARLY drove me to drink..... :o :o :o
redrobo

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Real end of an era. I didn't go in there often but when I did (mainly for big games) the atmosphere was cracking.

Do we have a 'home fans' pub anymore other than JBs?
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:46 am

Sergeant Major could write a book on this one, sad if its true, but there will be many others not be reopening after all this
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Andy D » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:04 am

marky No.1 wrote:Sergeant Major could write a book on this one, sad if its true, but there will be many others not be reopening after all this

its was said this week with leaving the EU it might stop the sale of cheap Booze in Supermarkets working better for Pubs.

basically in ASDA its cheaper to buy a can of Carlsberg than a bottle of Water.
Andy D

Postby John L » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:07 am

marky No.1 wrote:Sergeant Major could write a book on this one, sad if its true, but there will be many others not be reopening after all this

Thankfully still going strong and enjoying a bit of a refurb too! :D
GED ARMY!
John L

Postby marky No.1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:09 pm

John L wrote:

Thankfully still going strong and enjoying a bit of a refurb too! :D

Yes, they guy from the Locker has taken it over
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion