Alex Kenyon

Alex Kenyon

Postby vanillaturtle » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:14 pm

If he is fit he has to, has to, has to start. He is the best player on our team with Cole Stockton and we play so much better with both on the pitch. Only one of CMG and slew should start as they do the same thing and in my opinion are both ineffective. Like why start songoo instead of kenyon. Songo'o has been serviceable but we have conceded way more with him on the pitch instead of Kenyon. McAlinden/AJ and Osullivan in for slew and CMG
vanillaturtle

Re: Alex Kenyon

Postby Keith » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:15 am

I think Carlos had been given more freedom in the second half on Saturday, coming much more central. I think the change in formation worked for him and he was one of our best players after half-time.

Slew, I would like to see him alongside Stockton with two up front together. He works really hard and that industry, alongside Cole could open up spaces. But out wide he's a waste of a shirt.

I think Alex has been playing some of his best football this season and I'd like to see him back in. Strange that he's not even been on the bench lately?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby tim-sanchez » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:58 am

I know Derek said he has to earn his place again after self-isolation and needs to get fit again, but surely a great way to get match fit would be to bring him off the bench? I can understand the logic in not starting him, but his performances definitely at least warrant a place in the squad.

Same with McAlinden, I'm surprised he's suddenly disappeared as well as I thought he offered something different.

Ultimately we don't see what goes on in training, but I hope we see Alex back soon.
tim-sanchez

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 am

Your remark about Slew/CMG is plain wrong I'm afraid VT. A clip of Tim Sherwood was doing the rounds yesterday with him remarking that Sissoko and Ndombele are similar players, when they are also quite clearly completely different. This comes across in a similar manner.

CMG is an excellent dribbler and a very creative player. He is comfortably one the most technically able/talented players at the club, if not the most (up there with AJ and Pringle). Slew is not much of a technical player and, aside from the odd feint/burst of speed to try and beat a man, doesn't have much in his dribbling locker. He has a far greater physical presence than CMG though, which is why he has done a decent job covering for Stockton as a target man.

Could you ever see CMG acting as a bustling target man!? And could you ever see Slew as an effective no10!? Definitely not to either.

Ultimately these two players have virtually nothing in common playing wise.
Little Shrimp

Postby tim-sanchez » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Tuesday night's game was our first league win of the season that Kenyon didn't play in
tim-sanchez

Postby vanillaturtle » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:32 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:Tuesday night's game was our first league win of the season that Kenyon didn't play in

And even despite our narrow victory our defensive woes definitely showed after they had their man sent off. Our wins without Kenyon are way tighter than they should be given the quality of this team. Songoo provides no decisiveness in midfield. Either Kenyon or big Diagouraga in place of him would improve the team drastically.
vanillaturtle

Postby RapidShrimp » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:40 pm

vanillaturtle wrote:
tim-sanchez wrote:Tuesday night's game was our first league win of the season that Kenyon didn't play in

And even despite our narrow victory our defensive woes definitely showed after they had their man sent off. Our wins without Kenyon are way tighter than they should be given the quality of this team. Songoo provides no decisiveness in midfield. Either Kenyon or big Diagouraga in place of him would improve the team drastically.

I’ve seen with the last few of your posts that you’re not exactly Songo’o’s biggest fan! I agree that Alex should be back in the starting XI soon, but I disagree that Songo’o is “drastically” holding back the team. Everyone sees the game differently, but I think he’s done a very competent job since signing and has shown his experience. Granted he might not be the most technically-gifted, but he does do a job when he’s on the pitch. What has puzzled me though, is why he has started so many games recently, with the constant Saturday-Tuesday schedule. I’d have liked to see him rested for Toums, but that’s Derek’s choice!
RapidShrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:07 pm

I like Alex and agree that he is much improved but come on, is he better than Toums or Songo'o? He has been at the club long enough for us to know he is a decent squad player and not one that is going to push us to the next level. His attitude and work rate is second to none but he doesn't dislodge anybody from the current squad IMO.
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:24 pm

Before Alex had to isolate, DA was starting him on form, regularly, and rightly so. Putting aside the fitness issue, which is logical, then why should he not be at his previous level, and getting into the starting 11? For me, his overall game means that he should be back, ASAP.
Slanester

Postby vanillaturtle » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:01 am

RapidShrimp wrote:
vanillaturtle wrote:

I’ve seen with the last few of your posts that you’re not exactly Songo’o’s biggest fan! I agree that Alex should be back in the starting XI soon, but I disagree that Songo’o is “drastically” holding back the team. Everyone sees the game differently, but I think he’s done a very competent job since signing and has shown his experience. Granted he might not be the most technically-gifted, but he does do a job when he’s on the pitch. What has puzzled me though, is why he has started so many games recently, with the constant Saturday-Tuesday schedule. I’d have liked to see him rested for Toums, but that’s Derek’s choice!

Haha just looked at my post history and it does make me out to be a songoo hater :D . Don't get me wrong he seems like a nice and friendly man but I find myself yelling at the screen whenever he is involved in a play. His passing is poor and tackling is worse than both Kenyon and Diagouraga's. Clumsy on the ball as well. He is only good at heading and I just think the team plays much better when Kenyon is on the pitch. Hope the team can keep improving as a whole though as that is the ultimate goal.
vanillaturtle

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:36 am

Reading this thread you'd think that Alex Kenyon was the second coming of Andre Pirlo crossed with Claude Makelele, blimey.

I've enjoyed Kenyon's performances this season. I think he went backwards as a player for a couple of years, but has really stepped up his fitness and sharpness since Adams took over.

Kenyon and Songo'o both offer different things in my view. Kenyon mops up nicely at the base of midfield with his positioning. Songo'o is more mobile and a bit more aggressive in pressing on the front foot. In regards to tackling and heading, I don't see much difference between them in ability - they're pretty solid at both.

I don't think think Songo'o is the technical dunce that people are making him out to be. His close control is fairly sound - more so than Kenyon's - and I've noticed him step out of tight spaces pretty well. With Kenyon, I don't think his close control is as strong but he does have a good knack for a pass forward into our frontline, which is helpful for how we like to play in getting the ball to Stockton quickly. Songo'o generally plays it a bit more safely with his passing.

Toums is streets ahead technically than both but not as strong defensively. Less mobile but has a brilliant rangy dribbling ability when he gets going, and his ability on the ball can really relieve pressure on us as we can sometimes be so wasteful with the ball.

I probably would have looked to vary more with selection dependent on opponent and sometimes just to give the other a rest. Will be interesting to see how Adams lines up on Saturday. I personally think we'll see a back three again. We were bossing Barrow's back three until they changed to a back four, and bossed Solihull's back three in the second half against them.

Newport play with a back three so I'd expect to see us match them again. Wouldn't be surprised to see Stockton sitting on Dolan and if we win, Adams gleefully explaining this in his interview :lol:
Little Shrimp

Postby Slanester » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:33 am

Little Shrimp wrote:Reading this thread you'd think that Alex Kenyon was the second coming of Andre Pirlo crossed with Claude Makelele, blimey.

I've enjoyed Kenyon's performances this season. I think he went backwards as a player for a couple of years, but has really stepped up his fitness and sharpness since Adams took over.

Kenyon and Songo'o both offer different things in my view. Kenyon mops up nicely at the base of midfield with his positioning. Songo'o is more mobile and a bit more aggressive in pressing on the front foot. In regards to tackling and heading, I don't see much difference between them in ability - they're pretty solid at both.

I don't think think Songo'o is the technical dunce that people are making him out to be. His close control is fairly sound - more so than Kenyon's - and I've noticed him step out of tight spaces pretty well. With Kenyon, I don't think his close control is as strong but he does have a good knack for a pass forward into our frontline, which is helpful for how we like to play in getting the ball to Stockton quickly. Songo'o generally plays it a bit more safely with his passing.

Toums is streets ahead technically than both but not as strong defensively. Less mobile but has a brilliant rangy dribbling ability when he gets going, and his ability on the ball can really relieve pressure on us as we can sometimes be so wasteful with the ball.

I probably would have looked to vary more with selection dependent on opponent and sometimes just to give the other a rest. Will be interesting to see how Adams lines up on Saturday. I personally think we'll see a back three again. We were bossing Barrow's back three until they changed to a back four, and bossed Solihull's back three in the second half against them.

Newport play with a back three so I'd expect to see us match them again. Wouldn't be surprised to see Stockton sitting on Dolan and if we win, Adams gleefully explaining this in his interview :lol:

Before the isolation issue, AK started regularly, and was the choice of DA. That speaks for itself.
Slanester

Postby redrobo » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:17 pm

DA has a nice dilemma with 3 midfield players all of whom have their own particular advantages to select from.

In previous seasons that has not always been the case and I'm sure many other managers would be grateful for such a choice.

Listened to DA on Radio Lancashire last night and he impresses me more and more with his dedication and desire to restore our club to former glories.

I recall a Plymouth fan making the comment on his appointment that he wants every club he manages to be tuned into his way of thinking and in our case it must be a complete change in the way our BoD have operated in the past. It certainly has improved performances and long may it continue.
redrobo

Postby Little Shrimp » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Adams was happy with Kenyon's performances, then Kenyon had to isolate. Songo'o comes in, Adams is happy with his performances so he stays in. Maybe Adams will want Kenyon/Toums back in for a specific reason, or maybe to rest Songo'o or if his performances drop?

Think you're spot on there RR. At the end of the day, we have a really excellent choice in midfield with Toums, Songo'o and Kenyon.
Little Shrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:32 pm

If Alex was a summer signing and he had been putting in the performances he has been then i would agree with the arguement. Alex has been here for a number of years and has played in some poor teams without ever standing out. He had to earn a new contract a couple of years back when Jim deemed his fitness an issue and credit to him, he upped his game.

He doesn't come in and improve the 11 or the system that DA plays. A good club man and a good member of the squad. I doubt he will get a new deal if he is dipping below DA's standards.
BerlinWaller

Postby Slanester » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:34 pm

As usual, all about opinion, and at the end of the day, that is all it is......opinion. Non of which is more right or wrong, apart from to others that are of the same.
DA makes the decisions, and we are doing great.
Slanester

Postby redrobo » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:46 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:If Alex was a summer signing and he had been putting in the performances he has been then i would agree with the arguement. Alex has been here for a number of years and has played in some poor teams without ever standing out. He had to earn a new contract a couple of years back when Jim deemed his fitness an issue and credit to him, he upped his game.

He doesn't come in and improve the 11 or the system that DA plays. A good club man and a good member of the squad. I doubt he will get a new deal if he is dipping below DA's standards.

I don't think he is dipping below DA's standards but why change a team that is performing well just to restore a player to a position that the current choice hasn't done anything wrong. As and when that player does under perform in DA's estimation then replacements equally capable are ready and waiting to be used. That's the advantage this season of having squad players for nearly every position.
redrobo

Postby vanillaturtle » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:10 pm

Players can improve no matter what age and how many years they've been playing at the club for. Kenyon has stepped up massively since DA took over and looks like a completely different player: he just fits the system. He hasn't had a bad game yet which is more than you can say for Songo'o. Diagouraga has always been solid but he's older is a little big. Just look at our stats with him playing and without him playing, our team is so much better with him on the pitch, whether its due to his skill, positioning, or simple raw chemistry with the other players around him and DA's system.
vanillaturtle

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:38 pm

It's similar to the we would have won the league if Andy Flemming had been fit arguement
BerlinWaller

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:08 pm

Yep , it's all opinions, let DA get on with it, i liken it to who would be the best in the same era:
Ali, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Fury
Pele, Best, Cruyff, Maradona, Ronaldo
Fangio, Moss, Senna, Schumacher, Hamilton

Easier with snooker, no way would Ray Reardon and Cliff Thorburn in their prime be able to cope with the youngens nowadays.

Alex will get his foot back in
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Return to General Discussion