FA Cup 3rd Round

FA Cup 3rd Round

Postby Keith » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:55 pm

Will this be played the week after the 'Christmas Break' from COVID-19 lockdown, when you can expect to be locked up again? Or do we think there is a half-chance of at least some fans being allowed in to the game? Knowing our luck, if fans are allowed in, we will be away at Newport County or Exeter. If fans aren't allowed in, we'll be playing at Anfield or Old Trafford!

It would be great to get a Premiership side, although part of me thinks, could we have a relatively easy home game against a non-league side, then get a fourth round game, when fans are able to see the game (hopefully!)
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: FA Cup 3rd Round

Postby Andy D » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:58 pm

i'll be quite happy with an easy winnable draw, and get even further :D
Andy D

Postby tim-sanchez » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:04 pm

9th/10th January, so there's a chance of some fans being allowed.
tim-sanchez

Postby MfcChris » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Doesn’t matter if we are away at Anfield with fans allowed, as there will be no away fans allowed regardless. It would only be 2,000 season ticket holders from around the Liverpool area.

The best we can hope for is home tie and hope we go down to tier 2 so we can get some home fans in.
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby redrobo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:24 pm

It's typical of the way things are for our club that in a season when a good cup run would have possibly given our club a financial boost especially if we play a top Premiership club that the haunt of Covid will strike once again in not being able to capitalize on a good attendance that in other seasons has provided an excellent financial return for some clubs.

Maybe if we play a club in EFL 1 and get through to the next round at which stage we may make a bit of money that we desperately need assuming that we draw a Premiership club ie Man Utd / Liverpool etc etc etc.

A club with a 4000 gate would provide only a small return...... :cry:
redrobo

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:23 pm

How much have we earned in TV and prize money so far? £100 k+? Has certainly helped our predicament so far.
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby redrobo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:07 pm

I most certainly do NOT want to meet Chorley in the next round. Superb result for them tonight and would give us a real test.... :o
redrobo

Postby halfwayprawn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:29 pm

redrobo wrote:I most certainly do NOT want to meet Chorley in the next round. Superb result for them tonight and would give us a real test.... :o

Chorley are the club i would love to draw, after the performance they gave tonight, it would be a banker for tv also more money for the club and a better chance of getting a top side in the next round if we managed to win.
halfwayprawn

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:26 am

Interesting comments about Chorley there. One for one against. I would be for. A cracking Lancashire derby and a cert for more TV money. However after watching them dominate a strong Peterborough yesterday it would be a very tough game. Failing that I’d like any home game with a chance of live TV.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:02 am

Personally I'd like a winnable tie and more prize money. Also it would be nice to get to the 4th round or beyond. Maybe in round 4 we could even watch. It would be so gutting to watch us play a top team in an empty stadium.
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:01 pm

halfwayprawn wrote:Chorley are the club i would love to draw, after the performance they gave tonight, it would be a banker for tv also more money for the club and a better chance of getting a top side in the next round if we managed to win.

That's my thought too. Shouldn't be any under-estimating them after their giant killing and if it is at Chorley, then a banker for TV, with plenty of cash too. Better than away at Newport or Exeter or Portsmouth etc, with no fans & no TV money. If we can't beat Chorley, then we don't deserve to progress!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:45 pm

Keith wrote:
halfwayprawn wrote:Chorley are the club i would love to draw, after the performance they gave tonight, it would be a banker for tv also more money for the club and a better chance of getting a top side in the next round if we managed to win.

That's my thought too. Shouldn't be any under-estimating them after their giant killing and if it is at Chorley, then a banker for TV, with plenty of cash too. Better than away at Newport or Exeter or Portsmouth etc, with no fans & no TV money. If we can't beat Chorley, then we don't deserve to progress!

That statement may come back to haunt you...... :lol:
redrobo

Postby RedRedWine » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:17 pm

I'm glad we can't get Ipswich or Dagenham! Realistically any team that gets us on the TV is a great draw for the club. By the time of the 3rd round we might be able to have fans all being well, so a home televised tie would well received... And probably represents the best way of the club maximising earnings from the competition.

It will be devastating if we draw a big team away and can't go, particularly to all those that travel up and down the country supporting the team.
Hello! Hello! We are the Morecambe boys!
RedRedWine

Postby Vinny » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Marine, Stockport or Chorley next would be my hope
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby tim-sanchez » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Marine would be fantastic
tim-sanchez

Postby shrimp in cyprus » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:47 pm

Chorley or Marine were my original choices for Round 2. The fact that they are both through to Round 3 is a fantastic achievement for them both. Well done.

Maybe we'll get them in Round 3.?????
The wine and the football seem better in the sunshine!!
shrimp in cyprus

Postby Keith » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:15 pm

redrobo wrote:
Keith wrote:That's my thought too. Shouldn't be any under-estimating them after their giant killing and if it is at Chorley, then a banker for TV, with plenty of cash too. Better than away at Newport or Exeter or Portsmouth etc, with no fans & no TV money. If we can't beat Chorley, then we don't deserve to progress!

That statement may come back to haunt you...... :lol:

Not at all. No-one, even Chorley fans, would suggest that they are bigger or better than us. So if we draw them (or any other non-league side) then it is up to us to be professional and do the required job. If we don't work hard and do a professional job, then they will deserve to go through.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:34 pm

Marine in round 3, beat them. Chorley in Round 4, beat them. Tricky one in round 5 but we should win. Just leaves the semis and final at Wembley. Everyone knows we never lose there, so job sorted. Our names on it, you read it here first.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby Phoenix Shrimp 2017 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:01 pm

To be the first through to the next round yesterday was superb from a point of view of being able to then sit back and watch all the other teams trying to qualify. Of particular note was Chorley and Marine and how they reacted after their wins, absolute explosions of joy! It means an awful lot to all the teams at this stage and is a big deal for all. It's a shame that after this we have some higher league teams who aren't particularly bothered about the cup. Not enough money in it for them, compared to the Premier League and European cup competitions. Ah well we beat Man U youth once it would be nice to do it again in the FA Cup.

UTS.
Phoenix Shrimp 2017

Postby redrobo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:46 pm

Typical that on a season when we've progressed to Round 3 that even if we draw a big Premiership club home or away the days of a much needed cash windfall will not be available thanks to Covid.

So if we can draw a 'winnable' tie we could progress to Round 4 and hopefully qualify for further TV coverage which to date has been very much appreciated...thank you...... :!: :!: :!:

:) :) :)
redrobo

Postby RedRedWine » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:16 pm

shrimp in cyprus wrote:Chorley or Marine were my original choices for Round 2. The fact that they are both through to Round 3 is a fantastic achievement for them both. Well done.

Maybe we'll get them in Round 3.?????

It is a great achievement... But to be honest I think it's a good achievement for any team to reach the third round. Outside of the top two divisions, there's only 20 teams other teams that make it to the last 64 in an open draw format of 500+ entrants. I think this is the 4th time the shrimps have managed it in our 100 year existence.

I love the F0A Cup! The competition really has the ability to change the fortunes of clubs, particularly non-league sides. I view the first run we had in the early 2000's as a big catalyst of our clubs progression. It was on the back of that run that I started watching the club more regularly..... And I'm sure there will be many fans my age in the same boat. We went fulltime not long afterwards.

Great to be in the hat for the next round, so many of our young fans won't have been in this position before. It's just a bit disappointing the club has not been able to capitalise much so far by way of attracting new fans.
RedRedWine

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:26 pm

Chelsea it is! I'm pretty pleased with that, not a "dream" draw but a huge club we haven't played before(?) and a good chance of being on TV. Not a team we'll see every week
tim-sanchez

Postby RedRedWine » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:37 pm

What a draw! Gutted we are unlikely to be able to go, but hopefully it is a featured game on the TV so that the club can maximise revenues from the cup run.

Just our bloody luck.... any other year and the club could be looking at a share of 30k+ attendance gate receipts + all the other spin offs..... and we'd all be able to go (new ground for me).

Great reward for the players. Happy also for Freez who will hopefully be able to go as part of the ifollow team and go behind the scenes at Stamford Bridge.
RedRedWine

Postby Freez » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:23 pm

Thanks Stu.
I’m excited but at the same time gutted that we can’t have 5000 Shrimps in the Shed end in red signing their hearts out.
It’s a dream that I thought would never happen, and it’s just crap that COVID has tainted it, as with no away fans in, it won’t be the same.But as Sam has said, at least we aren’t at home and he has to miss Chelsea playing less than a mile from his house!!!
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Return to General Discussion