Pre season training

Pre season training

Postby redrobo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:58 am

I think it's usually around this time when the players report back for pre season training.

I suspect that this time it may be delayed for another couple of weeks but would be good to hear what DA has been working on to secure a squad capable of more than just holding its own in the forthcoming season....whenever that may be.

I notice that certain clubs have already made a number of signings but I would think that the vast majority are holding back until the clubs are given a firm commitment about a league start up
Last edited by redrobo on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redrobo

Re: Pre season training

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:20 am

redrobo wrote:I think it's usually around this time when the players report back for pre season training.

I suspect that this time it may be delayed for another couple of weeks but would be good to hear what DA has been working on to secure a squad capable of more than just holding its own in the forthcoming season....whenever that may be.

I notice that certain clubs have already made a number of signings but I would think that the vast majority are holding back until the clubs are given a firm commitment about a league start up date.

If the season starts in September as is rumoured that is about a month later than normal so you would expect pre season training to start a month later which would be around the end of July. I am sure Derek will have a few cards up his sleeve and hopefully not ex Tranmere , Bury , etc
Gone_Shrimping

Postby redrobo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:43 am

According to a BBC report EFL 1 and 2 clubs are reluctant to follow the Premiership and Championship in their willingness to play behind closed doors in a proposed start up date of August. For me unless the Premiership fork out more of their TV money etc then more clubs at our level will be forced into administration. If a club like Wigan is forced into admin then smaller clubs will unfortunately follow.

Maybe having the lowest budget of any club in the EFL could after all be a saving grace for our club.... :?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby al1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:38 pm

If and when players start to train again they will be unfurloughed I think.So how will we pay them with no income?
al1

Postby marky No.1 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:37 pm

al1 wrote:If and when players start to train again they will be unfurloughed I think.So how will we pay them with no income?

...and there lies the problem
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby redrobo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 pm

redrobo wrote:I think it's usually around this time when the players report back for pre season training.

I notice that certain clubs have already made a number of signings but I would think that the vast majority are holding back until the clubs are given a firm commitment about a league start up

Really appreciate the update on the OWS about those players who have agreed new deals. Fully understand Steven Old's decision not to sign up for the new season preferring to play nearer to his family based in Ayr Scotland.

:D :D :D
redrobo

Postby redrobo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:04 am

I've got weeks commencing 27 July and 3 August penciled in as a possible dates for pre season training to commence.

:?: :?: :?:

That would give the 'new' squad approx 5/6 weeks to get into shape and to complete a number of pre season games...I assume behind closed doors unless the games act as a 'test' case for determining the numbers allowed into our home EFL games come 12 September.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby BerlinWaller » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:38 am

Shrewsbury have put forward the idea of playing the early rounds of the cups in September and the League starting in October so fans can watch. Not a bad idea.
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:10 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:Shrewsbury have put forward the idea of playing the early rounds of the cups in September and the League starting in October so fans can watch. Not a bad idea.

I posted this on the Facebook page a few days ago and tagged Rod in:

Checkatrade Trophy or whatever it is called brings in a lot of money.

The Football League had suggested aiming for September 12th start. That would mean three weeks without fans, so no income and what to do about season ticket holders.

Why not play the three 'League' stage games of Checkatrade on those Saturdays, broadcasting on iFollow for free? They are poorly attended anyway, so less revenue loss, but people would probably watch on iFollow because we've been starved of football for so long. Clubs can use them in effect, as 'friendlies', which are going to be hard to organise. The sponsors get increased coverage and because of the money they put in, clubs get some income. Perhaps share the money out more equally, rather than on 'win bonuses', so everyone gets an equal share.

Then the Football League begins in October.
Is that a worthy suggestion Rod?

Can't see us finding it easy to arrange pre-season friendlies and we're not going to want three Checkatrade Trophy matches in an already shortened season. Season ticket holders don't get Checkatrade Trophy games included anyway, so they aren't impacted. That could be three Saturday games, which more people would watch on iFollow because we've all been starved of football.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:48 pm

I understand that the majority of clubs are returning for pre season training either today or during this week.

An update on our plans would be welcome...... ;)

The update via The Visitor was most welcome.....ta!
Last edited by redrobo on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:00 am

redrobo wrote:I understand that the majority of clubs are returning for pre season training either today or during this week.

An update on our plans would be welcome...... ;)

Start on 1st August as Derek says here.

He also has agreements in place for some permanent signings , presumably these can't be announced until after 1st August.

I must say I like the way Derek goes about his job. I am cautiously optimistic about the new season.

https://www.thevisitor.co.uk/sport/foot ... es-2925253
Gone_Shrimping

Postby glagys » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Just seen the video, group’s of five training, feel sorry for the training staff etc. They have to be there while all the group’s attend throughout the day,
phew almost like a real job :D :D
glagys

Return to General Discussion