Newport 1 Morecambe 0 LIVE iFollow Thread

Re: Newport 1 Morecambe 0 LIVE iFollow Thread

Postby Andy D » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:49 am

Little Shrimp wrote:Had a look at the short highlights on Sky Sports, think people are going in a bit hard on Mafoumbi. Wasn't a great punch but he had to climb over a couple of bodies, and did manage to get the ball out of the area. Their player was a bit lucky with his lob/cross I thought - not really sure which he was meaning to do.

My main issue would be that he was a bit slow recovering into a better position towards his goal line, rather than the punch itself.

Crap pitch, was always going to play more into Newport's hands. Good to see Oates getting on, looks like him and Bradbury caused a bit of trouble late in the game. Encouraging to see that we have options in the squad that can still cause trouble.

Rhys Oats could be the answer to scoring goals, certainly not shot shy, and the sort of person to impress Derek Adams, seen him at a Q&A night and Rhys comes across very mature.
Andy D

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:38 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:Had a look at the short highlights on Sky Sports, think people are going in a bit hard on Mafoumbi. Wasn't a great punch but he had to climb over a couple of bodies, and did manage to get the ball out of the area.

You should try watching the highlights of our game next! :roll: Actually, don't torture yourself, just go directly to 1 minute 10 seconds, see the goal, then switch it off.

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2020/m ... morecambe/

The punch went about ten feet and landed a good few feet inside the penalty area! The couple of players were in the way but not that much. And, as you say, slow to get back to his line.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:05 pm

Keith wrote:
Little Shrimp wrote:Had a look at the short highlights on Sky Sports, think people are going in a bit hard on Mafoumbi. Wasn't a great punch but he had to climb over a couple of bodies, and did manage to get the ball out of the area.

You should try watching the highlights of our game next! :roll: Actually, don't torture yourself, just go directly to 1 minute 10 seconds, see the goal, then switch it off.

The punch went about ten feet and landed a good few feet inside the penalty area! The couple of players were in the way but not that much. And, as you say, slow to get back to his line.

I remember when you used to be positive Keith. I also remember when your post match reports mentioned injuries, budgets, training facilities and over achieving. What changed?
BerlinWaller

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:22 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Keith wrote:

I remember when you used to be positive Keith. I also remember when your post match reports mentioned injuries, budgets, training facilities and over achieving. What changed?

Well, if you read my post again and watch the highlight, you'll realise that I was being factual and his crap punch had nothing to do with "budgets", "training facilities" or "over achieving". It was a crap punch that didn't get out of the penalty area.

As you are going to keep going with your 'no-one mentions budgets anymore' until you do eventually get a bite (is this the third or fourth attempt?) I'll respond. No one mentions 'budgets' because we clearly received an injection of cash in January that allowed Derek to sign six new players. What will our budget be in the summer, assuming we stay up? If it is increased, then great. I really want to see us competing on a level playing field. If the budget is broadly the same as last summer, then we will really see what Derek can do. I love the fact that the new directors in particular appear to have a positive view on building the club. And full marks to the new commercial team who appear to be much more pro-active. Hopefully that will in itself result in a bigger playing budget.

But if we still have the lowest budget in the Football League, then I see another season of struggling to keep our head above the bottom two. I think Derek is an excellent manager and I'm delighted we got him. We may see more players from Scotland coming down, which could be a good thing. But if he's expected to perform miracles, I think he'll struggle.

No-one has gone on about "training facilities" in a negative manner since we moved away from using Turners Field... but you knew that of course.

As for being positive, I did post in this thread...

Keith wrote:Going to be interesting seeing Slew up front. Hope he gets a goal or two to boost his confidence.

I've also said repeatedly that Derek clearly knows what he's getting with Slew having signed him twice and he must have had something about him to go for a million quid not that long ago. If he starts on Saturday, he'll get my support, 100%.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Andy D » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:00 pm

Keith wrote:I'll respond. No one mentions 'budgets' because we clearly received an injection of cash in January that allowed Derek to sign six new players
Thats not been confirmed, merely speculation.
Andy D

Postby Freez » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:58 pm

I believe the “owners protecting their interest” is the phrase that has been used by members of the board when I have spoken to them.
Which doesn’t mean they have, but when I asked if they had injected some cash, they didn’t deny it either. :( ;)
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:01 pm

There was an injection of cash to the tune of 50k which coincided with the arrival of 2 new Directors. The Daily Keith is assuming without any evidence per usual that this was put towards an increase of the players wage budget? Historically we have always added in Jan, look at last seasons arrivals. Nothing new.

When Colin/Jason stated in the fan forum that Jim had been given an improved budget, people went crazy trying to make out the owners were talking were rubbish.
BerlinWaller

Postby Freez » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Last season, Jim and Ken denied there had been an increase in the budget, despite Colin and Jason saying there had been.
Again read into that what you want, not that it matters , or anyone is that bothered.
I think signing six and not really getting rid of anyone other than a couple of fringe youngsters would suggest something has changed, common sense dictates that? There is only so many pieces you can cut a pie into, it’s still the same size pie divided six more ways? Don’t see it myself but you never know, and that’s the point, we may never know.
However, last seasons we signed six after selling Oswell for 50k,just saying! :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Keith » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:36 pm

For the hard of thinking Berliner...

Derek arrived and said the playing budget had all been spent, but he liked to save something for January.
‘Despite’ the budget all being spent, he signed six players.

Obviously, those six players are playing for free, out of the goodness of their hearts?
Or, perhaps, some money has been found down the back of the sofa?

Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Jim Harvey was always a stickler for working to a tight budget and big on player development, no coincidence then?
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:52 pm

3 loans, 2 of which have come from an u23 squad. What percentage of their wage are we covering? The GK will probably be the biggest earner being a seasoned pro but Baz moved to the coaching staff to replace Lee Jones. We agree there was a vacancy for a goalie?

JM replaced KM with JM already on the wage bill. A few quid there? Toums won't be cheap but he has fallen through the leagues. Slew was plucked out of NL so i don't expect his wages to be huge either. George Tanner had his loan spell cut short so any contributions for his wage will have ceased.

I am not sure how much you are saying was "clearly" injected but it must have been minimal if at all.

It isn't being hard of thinking at all, just debating your statements Keith.
BerlinWaller

Postby Andy D » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:56 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:3 loans, 2 of which have come from an u23 squad. What percentage of their wage are we covering? The GK will probably be the biggest earner being a seasoned pro but Baz moved to the coaching staff to replace Lee Jones. We agree there was a vacancy for a goalie?

JM replaced KM with JM already on the wage bill. A few quid there? Toums won't be cheap but he has fallen through the leagues. Slew was plucked out of NL so i don't expect his wages to be huge either. George Tanner had his loan spell cut short so any contributions for his wage will have ceased.

I am not sure how much you are saying was "clearly" injected but it must have been minimal if at all.

It isn't being hard of thinking at all, just debating your statements Keith.

You can add Andrew Fleming to that list too Waller.
Andy D

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:58 pm

One of the players is sponsored by the Boardwalk

We dont know how much, if anything, we are paying Burnley for the loanees.

Flemmo now paid out?

Saved a goalkeeping coach wage.

Saved an assistant managers wage.

Are we paying Derek the same as Jim?

I would suggest nobody on here has the answers to the maths..

Edit me and Mr Waller seem to be on the same page and I forgot about any saving on Tanner
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:04 pm

Derek has been backed and rightly so, you can't expect a manager of his standing, with a good reputation to uphold, coming here without some assurances and fair play, the powers that be have stepped up to the plate.
All that matters right now is staying up and his signings have had a major influence in making that happen, regardless of money spent or not
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:12 pm

The deal to appoint Jim and Ken at Wrexham was deemed to rich for them so they both must have been on a competitive package.
BerlinWaller

Postby Freez » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:53 pm

So we are all speculating to be honest aren’t we? Based on guesswork, rumour and whispers. :D
Whatever, we are playing better football, apart from yesterday, and we have put a buffer between us and Cheatenage.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:57 pm

Freez wrote:So we are all speculating to be honest aren’t we? Based on guesswork, rumour and whispers. :D
Whatever, we are playing better football, apart from yesterday, and we have put a buffer between us and Cheatenage.

Not really speculating. Keith was speculating when he said that there had "clearly" been an injection of cash for squad improvements. Myself and Marky tried to explain how the extra signings may have come about with the commonly known facts regarding staff and player movements.
BerlinWaller

Postby Freez » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Sorry, facts about the money involved aren’t known by any of us, so for me speculation.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Slanester » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:32 am

Freez wrote:Sorry, facts about the money involved aren’t known by any of us, so for me speculation.

So much easier to just let the ones that...........”know”.......debate between themselves. ;)
Slanester

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:51 am

Slanester wrote:
Freez wrote:Sorry, facts about the money involved aren’t known by any of us, so for me speculation.

So much easier to just let the ones that...........”know”.......debate between themselves. ;)

What gets me is the amount being discussed, 50k :?
In the world of professional football that's absolute peanuts and might see you get by to the end of the week.
HALMA 1983

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm

TBH , I dont think BWs fag packet maths is far out, the difference being , unlike previous seasons the attraction was limited with any half decent players not wanting to come to a club with rogue owners, no training facilities and sporadic wages being reported on TV regularly.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby redrobo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:32 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:TBH , I dont think BWs fag packet maths is far out, the difference being , unlike previous seasons the attraction was limited with any half decent players not wanting to come to a club with rogue owners, no training facilities and sporadic wages being reported on TV regularly.

Sorry Lee but I think your comments about rougue owners is a bit harsh. Had it not been for our current owners then we would have been in the real poo. I do agree about the previous owners based in the North East however.

As for the sporadic non payment of wages that problem was resolved speedily and was nowhere as bad as that at other clubs.

I doubt that many players were put off signing for us due to the training facilities. The major problem was and could well be going forward the actual wages involved which it is accepted that we are unable to match others in our league.

Fortunately JB was able to gather together a number of players unwanted by other clubs.

Maybe i'm living in dream land but I suspect DA will look at players from Scotland rather than rely on Merseyside and use his contacts within the game to bring in players.

If Toumani is an example of the player DA has faith in then excellent because for me he has been the outstanding new addition and has been the catalyst for our current improved match day performances.
redrobo

Postby Keith » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:11 pm

redrobo wrote:If Toumani is an example of the player DA has faith in then excellent because for me he has been the outstanding new addition and has been the catalyst for our current improved match day performances.

Completely agree. I felt that a large part of our poor form under JB was losing Fleming and then Tutt & Wildig being very poor. Tooms replacing Tutt in the first team and a rejuvenated Wildig have been a massive driving force in our change of fortune. Phillips has had flashes of brilliance but also a few mediocre performances too. Slew, we're still hoping for something. Funny that Tooms has probably had the biggest impact yet never been MotM I don't think? Consistency appears to be his key?

Keith
Site Admin

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:26 pm

There's been a seismic change at the club and that doesn't come about just because Derek is a good manager, on the basis of this season's backing, next should be even more exciting, with even better signings.
HALMA 1983

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:17 pm

Just to clear up....I am referring to people like Cala etc . Not the present owners, the various dubious characters PMG , your former idol, tried to off load the club onto.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion