New additions

New additions

Postby glagys » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:25 am

So let's look at DA's new recruits
Cooney great addition good engine and gets stuck in
Phillips good skill and has an eye for goal
Toums steady and holds the ball and breaks up their attacks no pace though
Slew good turn of pace and can trap a ball but his shooting is woeful
Mbulu bit to soon to say but didn't see anything to say he's the answer but slotted in well when we went to 3 at the back
Mafoumbi looks a good addition and commands his area better than halstead

Also I didn't see any of the other players there e.g. Tuttle,Buxton,Kev,Sutton,Oates
But they may have been there
glagys

Re: New additions

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:13 am

As well as the new signings, DA has drastically improved a few of the lads he inherited. CMG is the obvious one but Sam and Old have formed a formidable defensive partnership. They control the back line superbly. I had written Old off earlier in the season but now he has gone back to basics, he has become a dominant CB. Alex Kenyon was another I deemed out of his depth but has come on loads. He seems more assured and doesn't play any blind passes now. Cole is an effective target man now, he mixes it with defenders who no longer get an easy ride against us. The goals will come, strikers are all about confidence and I am sure Cole will chip in soon.

Add the new signings to these and we do look much improved. We have pulled 5pts clear of the bottom despite many on here saying we will go down.
BerlinWaller

Postby glagys » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:53 am

Agreed
Cranston looks like he is getting back to good form, he put in some great crosses yesterday but nobody got on them
glagys

Postby redrobo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:59 am

Funny how we all see things differently but that's the beauty of the game and being able to pass our thoughts via a fans forum.

Agree about most of the opinions of the new lads but have a problem with Slew and not yet convinced that the new goalkeeper is an improvement on Mark. Most certainly the comments about CMG and the other original players are based on visual evidence and they seem to have found a new level under DA.
redrobo

Postby Slanester » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:21 pm

redrobo wrote:Funny how we all see things differently but that's the beauty of the game and being able to pass our thoughts via a fans forum.

Agree about most of the opinions of the new lads but have a problem with Slew and not yet convinced that the new goalkeeper is an improvement on Mark.

That’s because at present JS offers next to nothing, looking like DA is coming to that conclusion, and the new keeper has been decent, but no better than MH.
Slanester

Postby redrobo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:31 pm

Slanester wrote:
redrobo wrote:Funny how we all see things differently but that's the beauty of the game and being able to pass our thoughts via a fans forum.

Agree about most of the opinions of the new lads but have a problem with Slew and not yet convinced that the new goalkeeper is an improvement on Mark.

That’s because at present JS offers next to nothing, looking like DA is coming to that conclusion, and the new keeper has been decent, but no better than MH.

If that is the case then why put him on when their is a striker sitting on the bench..... :?: :?: :?:

Not convinced that DA has come to the conclusion that JS offers nothing.

Maybe Tuesday he will decided to introduce the new lad at some time to play alongside Cole who since DA arrived has been a totally different player. Just needs a goal or two to open the flood gates... :lol:
redrobo

Postby Slanester » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:41 pm

redrobo wrote:
Slanester wrote:

If that is the case then why put him on when their is a striker sitting on the bench..... :?: :?: :?:

Not convinced that DA has come to the conclusion that JS offers nothing.

Maybe Tuesday he will decided to introduce the new lad at some time to play alongside Cole who since DA arrived has been a totally different player. Just needs a goal or two to open the flood gates... :lol:

Read the post rr, “coming to that conclusion.”
And yes, I asked exactly the same question about the new striker, on a different thread.

In jumping to the defence of my comment about DA, you have then gone on to question his decision about the substitution. Not allowed. :D
Slanester

Postby Andy D » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:46 pm

Big fan of Big Dave, no longer do we get bullied in Midfield, already i’d have him in my best ever Morecambe 11” with the likes of Carl Baker and Jim Bentley etc.
Andy D

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:12 pm

The man we really missed yesterday was A-Jay. With him coming on at 70 mins we would have gone on and won.

I saw a twitter picture of Kev with one of the Mansfield staff (Mick McGuire) so he must have been there somewhere.

Cooney , great right back , doubt if we can keep him !
Phillips , a good signing who has improved the side , also 3 invaluable goals and some assists.
Big Dave , another top signing and probably only happened because of us having DA as boss. He is based in Harrogate so coming to training is no problem.
Mbulu too early to form an opinion but with Derek's coaching I am sure he will be decent.
Mafoumbi looks a decent signing , already has a crucial penalty save in his credit bank. Better at crosses than Halstead and I expect us to sign him in the Summer.
Slew at present looks way off league 2 standard but again I have trust in DA's assessment of a player.
Bradbury again too early to judge but he is a big unit so maybe pitch him in against Macclesfield.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Andy D » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:32 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:Big Dave , another top signing and probably only happened because of us having DA as boss. He is based in Harrogate so coming to training is no problem.

99% sure i just seen and squeezed past Big Dave(speaking foreign maybe French with his mate) in TESCOS on Heysham road, only 5mins ago, i was going to wait outside and ask him for a Selfie, not joking he’s a good 6.2ft obviously bigger up close.

begs the question as he got a cheap flat to rent in the West End of Morecambe until the end of the season?
Andy D

Postby redrobo » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:40 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:The man we really missed yesterday was A-Jay. With him coming on at 70 mins we would have gone on and won.

I saw a twitter picture of Kev with one of the Mansfield staff (Mick McGuire) so he must have been there somewhere.

Cooney , great right back , doubt if we can keep him !
Phillips , a good signing who has improved the side , also 3 invaluable goals and some assists.
Big Dave , another top signing and probably only happened because of us having DA as boss. He is based in Harrogate so coming to training is no problem.
Mbulu too early to form an opinion but with Derek's coaching I am sure he will be decent.
Mafoumbi looks a decent signing , already has a crucial penalty save in his credit bank. Better at crosses than Halstead and I expect us to sign him in the Summer.
Slew at present looks way off league 2 standard but again I have trust in DA's assessment of a player.
Bradbury again too early to judge but he is a big unit so maybe pitch him in against Macclesfield.

Interesting how we all view players differently.

I much prefer Mark but trust DA to do what is best for the team going forward even though I did question his subs policy yesterday......how silly of me.... :oops:
redrobo

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:32 pm

Regardless of the new additions there's only been one decent result in the last five games, hopefully it'll be two come Tuesday but they seem to struggle against 'strugglers'
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:37 pm

I don't think Mafoumbi has done much wrong. He made a couple of good saves yesterday and I thought he was unlucky with the goal. I thought he did well to get down for the initial header but maybe he could have put it out for a corner. His kicking is an upgrade and he looks pretty calm in goal.
BerlinWaller

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:10 pm

The Burnley lads are a huge upgrade , but they are here for a short term and will be going back at the end of the season.

The rest are similar standard to what we had already , with the exception of Slew, who I dont think is good enough for this division.

I doubt very much that we will go down , I dont think many people would have thought that either as Stevenage are awful, and theres only one spot up for grabs.

Cant see us getting higher than 20th though, and it'll be back to square one in summer.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:25 pm

And guess what, the league will be more competitive than ever :shock:
HALMA 1983

Postby Andy D » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:42 pm

HALMA 1983 wrote:And guess what, the league will be more competitive than ever :shock:

but crowd figures are increasing even through the “Winter Months” so if we get to around the 2000 mark of our own fans plus “away” fans on top of that, we could eventually be “self sufficient” and potentially have more money to play with before long.
Andy D

Postby mrpotatohead » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 pm

Crowd figures are not increasing , someone put the stats up on another post, and PMG always used to tell us that we needed 2500 to break even, a figure acknowledged several times by other directors , we are a good 5 or 6 hundred short of that.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:04 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:Crowd figures are not increasing , someone put the stats up on another post, and PMG always used to tell us that we needed 2500 to break even, a figure acknowledged several times by other directors , we are a good 5 or 6 hundred short of that.

Better commercial activity could reduce the attendance needed to break even and there appears to be some positives in that regard. Actual ground sponsorship would be useful though. JB's bar was busy for longer, hopefully Mids' playing will continue to build over the next few games too.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Andy D » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:06 am

mrpotatohead wrote:Crowd figures are not increasing , someone put the stats up on another post, and PMG always used to tell us that we needed 2500 to break even, a figure acknowledged several times by other directors , we are a good 5 or 6 hundred short of that.
Codswallop to them stats.

Our Hardcore Now

1965 on the gate on Saturday i read, so subtract 200 ish away fans. = leaving 1700 ish

in recent seasons at this time of year(WINTER) we’d an hardcore of around 900 under the previous regime.

So our Hardcore as increased quite considerably.
Andy D

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:06 am

Just been looking through OWS news archive. Couldn't see Shaun Miller on any team sheet since December. Has he gone back to Crewe ?
jbc.shrimp

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:58 am

Andy D wrote:

1965 on the gate on Saturday i read, so subtract 200 ish away fans. = leaving 1700 ish

in recent seasons at this time of year(WINTER) we’d an hardcore of around 900 under the previous regime.

So our Hardcore as increased quite considerably.

337 away fans.

Last January & February we had five home games with attendances of:

Admittedly, there are Carlisle & Bury in there, with big away following, but Stevenage wouldn't have brought many. Our core home support was about 1,400 last winter. It is now about 1,550. We still need it to climb further.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby jbc.shrimp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:25 am

Let's not forget D.A. inherited most of this season's squad. Next season will be D.A's chance to build his own, basically giving us a new team. If we have the effect of people wanting to see how they perform, it could boost crowds by the few hundred needed.
jbc.shrimp

Postby KenH » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:14 pm

Whoever has been marketing hospitality has been doing a cracking job. The First Choice suite and the "red seats" had been far busier this season. A couple of seasons ago, there were rows of empty seats and tumble weed in the FC (W&L) Suite at half time. It's consistently busier than I ever remember it.
KenH

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:31 pm

There might be a whole new batch of online fans soon
BerlinWaller

Postby Freez » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Good point Ken, Martin the recent replacement in the commercial department has been given more leverage than his predecessor to get bums on seats, and it’s working.
January is traditionally a tough month to fill it up and all at the club have worked hard to get people in, both old and new customers, so well done to all me keep it up.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Next

Return to General Discussion