IP Blacklisted 'spamhaus.org'

IP Blacklisted 'spamhaus.org'

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:26 pm

If you try to post a message and get an error such as this...
Screenshot 2019-12-19 at 15.52.06.png
Screenshot 2019-12-19 at 15.52.06.png (33.58 KiB) Viewed 25851 times

the easiest way to solve it is to run a VPN. There are 'free' VPN's but a paid for one such as NordVPN is probably a better idea. Personally, I always run a VPN if I'm surfing the net on a public wifi, such as in a hotel. I use it when accessing on-line banking too.

As I understand it (but I'm sure someone more geeky than me can add knowledge...) it means that someone at some time in the past has sent Spam out from an IP address in this range, so they are now blocked. IT IS NOT ME BLOCKING YOU! I have had a couple of people send snotty emails complaining that I'd blocked them. Oddly, neither replied when I explained how to get around it and didn't offer an apology for their belligerent tone, but hey-ho :roll:

I ***THINK*** you ***SHOULD*** be able to switch your router off & one again, (leave it off over night if you can) and you'll get a new IP address. But when I get the message, as I did above, I just hit the VPN.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: IP Blacklisted 'spamhaus.org'

Postby shrimp in cyprus » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 pm

I had this problem and contacted Keith about it (don't think I swore at him!!!). After his reply and trying various things I actually contacted my internet supplier who said that they would fix it. They asked me to turn off my router for an hour and then to switch it back on. I did that and have had no more problems since.
The wine and the football seem better in the sunshine!!
shrimp in cyprus

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:51 pm

shrimp in cyprus wrote:I had this problem and contacted Keith about it (don't think I swore at him!!!). After his reply and trying various things I actually contacted my internet supplier who said that they would fix it. They asked me to turn off my router for an hour and then to switch it back on. I did that and have had no more problems since.

No one swore, they were just rather err... 'accusatory' as to why I was blocking them. And it wasn't you anyway! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby marky No.1 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:05 am

I've had it now and again when using a public wifi. If you switch to data/4g it works
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:52 am

marky No.1 wrote:If you switch to data/4g it works

Not necessarily. I'm almost only ever on 4G+ at home. The IP address range is still blacklisted.
[Edit] But this post was made without VPN.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Brian S » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:22 pm

Microtik router Keith? There's a well known compromise and that IP resolves to the IoM ;)
Brian S

Postby Brian S » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:21 pm

marky No.1 wrote:I've had it now and again when using a public wifi. If you switch to data/4g it works

Don't use public WiFi you don't know & trust. This should be another RedRobo announcement ;)

You get it because the router you are connected to has been compromised. It not only stops you posting here & other sites but someone could also be collecting the data going to & from your phone. Hope you didn't check your bank account while you were out & about on WiFi.
Brian S

Postby Brian S » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Keith wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:If you switch to data/4g it works

Not necessarily. I'm almost only ever on 4G+ at home. The IP address range is still blacklisted.
[Edit] But this post was made without VPN.

Turning the router on & off sometimes changes to another dynamic IP address which will temporarily fix the problem. However if your router is compromised then your ISP should be able to fix it remotely.
Brian S

Postby Keith » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Brian S wrote:Microtik router Keith? There's a well known compromise and that IP resolves to the IoM ;)

Huawei mobile phone on 4G & hotspot. Are the Chinese after me?

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Brian S » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Multiple users with the same issue normally points to the server but that's in the USA and the IP address in the 1st post is IoM which suggests the issue is at the user end.

Following the link through, it reports a common problem with Microtik routers being compromised. That's supported by the report of an ISP fixing the problem followed by a router reboot.

What do you mean by hotspot? Were you away from home connected to free WiFi? If yes, that WiFi router is probably compromised.
Brian S

Postby marky No.1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:51 am

Brian S wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:I've had it now and again when using a public wifi. If you switch to data/4g it works

Don't use public WiFi you don't know & trust. This should be another RedRobo announcement ;)

You get it because the router you are connected to has been compromised. It not only stops you posting here & other sites but someone could also be collecting the data going to & from your phone. Hope you didn't check your bank account while you were out & about on WiFi.

Wont have banking on my phone, Brian, even though they keep persisting and as for paying contactless with your phone - crazy!
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby jbc.shrimp » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Many thanks for your help Keith, will look into it.
jbc.shrimp

Postby Keith » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 pm

Brian S wrote:What do you mean by hotspot? Were you away from home connected to free WiFi? If yes, that WiFi router is probably compromised.

Mobile phone on 4G+ being used as a wifi hotspot. Only me on it.

Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion