Scunthorpe 3 Morecambe 0 LIVE iFollow Thread

Re: Scunthorpe 3 Morecambe 0 LIVE iFollow Thread

Postby redrobo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:14 am

Keith wrote:
OLDHAMADE wrote:A once Championship club gets relegated down to League Two last season and after a shaky start they beat a much smaller club? Did you honestly expect anything more than a draw?
Let's see if scunthorpe can repeat it come Tuesday ;) and then it's the Big one Saturday :D

To be fair, as much as I'm a 'glass half full' person, who tends to see the positives, I don't agree with this.

We were utterly awful and made a very poor Scunthorpe, look very poor. A mediocre team would have beaten Scunthorpe. Sadly, we fell a long way short of mediocre. Whether that win will give them confidence now remains to be seen, but I think if we'd been able to go at them and get an early goal, they would have crumbled and their fans got on their backs. Instead, we made it easy for them.

We need a BIG response on Tuesday.

So as Keith says we were awful especially as that confirmed the impression given during Radio Lancashire's entire commentary by Quinny's co presenter but what should be JB's response. Would be interesting to hear what Keith and others suggest.

For me it has to be measured and not a gut reaction. Cranston has to start in front of the defence as some kind of protection in the absence of anybody else. I'd also give a midfield debut to Lynch and see the return of Leitch-Smith up front in place of Stockton. Possibly even some game time for Jagne.
redrobo

Postby Slanester » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:38 am

On Sat, for the first 24 minutes, Scunthorpe were a team waiting to be beaten, including their fans. We were definitely on top. They could hardly put 2 passes together, and to a man, look scared to receive the ball, and got rid of it like a hot potato when they did. The way we fell apart after the pen, defies any words, although plenty have done their best. 3-0 at half time, the game was over.

I really like Cranston, but definitely not LB/ LWB.
Sutton has been a liability for the last few games???
What about pushing, the very talented Tanner further up the field in a wide area???
For me, Stockton had his best game on Sat( yes sounds odd) Maybe he is about to hit form??
Slanester

Postby tim-sanchez » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 pm

I don't think we need to push Tanner up field, but it is a shame we seemingly can't start him and Buxton at the same time.

Agreed that we were well on top, no idea what happened after the penalty. If we'd just kept playing the way we were before, even with Scunthorpe's boosted confidence, I think we'd have won that game. Madness that we collapsed in those 15 minutes.
tim-sanchez

Postby Slanester » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 pm

tim-sanchez wrote:I don't think we need to push Tanner up field, but it is a shame we seemingly can't start him and Buxton at the same time.

Agreed that we were well on top, no idea what happened after the penalty. If we'd just kept playing the way we were before, even with Scunthorpe's boosted confidence, I think we'd have won that game. Madness that we collapsed in those 15 minutes.

Yes t-s, not so much needing to push Tanner into a forward/wide position, as you say. Just from what I’ve seen, it might be interesting to see what unfolded.
I also think that we would have won the game, barring the inexplicable post pen collapse. :?:
Slanester

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:07 pm

redrobo wrote:
Would be interesting to hear what Keith and others suggest.

For me it has to be measured and not a gut reaction. Cranston has to start in front of the defence as some kind of protection in the absence of anybody else. I'd also give a midfield debut to Lynch and see the return of Leitch-Smith up front in place of Stockton. Possibly even some game time for Jagne.

I think that we have players good enough to play this 3-5-2 formation in what ever structure. There should be the creativity to score and we've got three superb defenders who suddenly appear to have had collective brain freeze!

I think we've plaid some really nice football at times this season. That has been a rolling criticism for the last couple of seasons, so that is a big plus.

When I saw the line up on Saturday, I wasn't too concerned. I'd rather see Cranston in the middle, aiming to offer some protection in front of the defence. I'm still not convinced about O'Sullivan, who I've only really felt played well when he was up front against Blackpool.

Can we make that formation work? I think so, but we need to make the most of it going forwards and have those central defenders working.

The odd blip in my head is Buxton! He can tackle, think and play a great ball! Despite looking anything but athletic, actually gets about.

How about if A-Jay is fit:

__________Roche__________
____Sutton__Old_____Lavelle___
Tanner__Wildig__Cranston__Buxton
_________Leitch-Smith_______
_____Alessandra___Miller______
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Little Shrimp » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:54 am

I'd like to see Brewitt at CB if he's back from injury - we're excellent with the ball at our feet in midfield/attack so we need to have a defence that's better at getting the ball to them, instead of just panicking and lumping it. I'd like to see:

Halstead
Lavelle Brewitt Old
Tanner Tutte Wildig Conlan
Alessandra O'Sullivan
Miller

I've arranged O'Sullivan and Alessandra like that as I'd like to see them drop back and defend as wingers so we don't get overrun in midfield and down the flanks. They all like to move around a bit in attack so I don't think their nominal arrangement really matters going forward, but in defence we have to to be more organised. I'd like to see us have the flexibility to drop back into more of this shape in defence:

Halstead
Tanner Lavelle Brewitt Old Conlan
Alessandra Tutte Wildig O'Sullivan
Miller
Little Shrimp

Postby redrobo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:01 am

Keith wrote:
redrobo wrote:
Would be interesting to hear what Keith and others suggest.

I think that we have players good enough to play this 3-5-2 formation in what ever structure. There should be the creativity to score and we've got three superb defenders who suddenly appear to have had collective brain freeze!

I think we've plaid some really nice football at times this season. That has been a rolling criticism for the last couple of seasons, so that is a big plus.

When I saw the line up on Saturday, I wasn't too concerned. I'd rather see Cranston in the middle, aiming to offer some protection in front of the defence. I'm still not convinced about O'Sullivan, who I've only really felt played well when he was up front against Blackpool.

Can we make that formation work? I think so, but we need to make the most of it going forwards and have those central defenders working.

The odd blip in my head is Buxton! He can tackle, think and play a great ball! Despite looking anything but athletic, actually gets about.

How about if A-Jay is fit:

__________Roche__________
tt_________Leitch-Smith_______

Good shout Keith but would prefer to see Brewitt in place of Sutton. Brewitt for me is better in distribution, also would like to see Lynch as part of the squad at the very least.
redrobo

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:44 am

redrobo wrote:Good shout Keith but would prefer to see Brewitt in place of Sutton. Brewitt for me is better in distribution, also would like to see Lynch as part of the squad at the very least.

If Brewitt is fit, then yes, although sometimes giving players an opportunity to redeem themselves is a good idea too. If it was purely on Saturday, you could drop any of the back three, or at least, take them out to dinner and introduce them to each other!
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby MfcChris » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 am

Keith wrote:__________Roche__________
Tanner__Wildig__Cranston__Buxton
_________Leitch-Smith_______

I was under the impression Buxton was primarily a Right back and Tanner a Left back, but you and Jim for the second half last Saturday have them the opposite way round?
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Freez » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Tanner is a right back primarily.
When we went down to ten at Mansfield, Tanner went left back and Buxton come on and went right back, despite Tanner starting as right back!!!!
Confused??? :D
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Similar to the game v Salford when Conlan went off injured. Jim had Cranston on the bench but instead put the right footed Buxton at Left wing back. Loves a square peg in a round hole does Jim.
BerlinWaller

Postby KenH » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Freez wrote:Tanner is a right back primarily.
When we went down to ten at Mansfield, Tanner went left back and Buxton come on and went right back, despite Tanner starting as right back!!!!

It's what Jim did a few times with Andy Parrish. There was one game where he was right back, left back and centre back - changed with every substitution. Poor guy didn't know if he was coming or going, nor did the players around him.
KenH

Postby Slanester » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 pm

KenH wrote:
Freez wrote:Tanner is a right back primarily.

It's what Jim did a few times with Andy Parrish. There was one game where he was right back, left back and centre back - changed with every substitution. Poor guy didn't know if he was coming or going, nor did the players around him.

Tanner had an excellent game at Mansfield, no confusion for that lad.
Slanester

Previous

Return to General Discussion