As it stands, the positions of the teams we've played so far this season:

Exeter 1st
Swindon 4th
Cheltenham 6th
Grimsby 7th,
Macclesfield 9th
Mansfield 12th
Salford 15th

First seven matches, Salford are the lowest placed club.

Next five games:

Port Vale 14th
Northampton 18th
Walsall 21st
Oldham 22nd
Scunthorpe 24th

Of course the gloomy, pint half empty brigade will suggest that the teams are doing well because they've played us already!

But the alternative view is, we've had a tough start and now have a run of weaker sides, relatively speaking. Let's aim for five wins in the next five games! 8-) 8-) 8-)
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Re: Positions of Teams Played

Postby Slanester » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:23 am

Keith wrote:As it stands, the positions of the teams we've played so far this season:

Exeter 1st
Swindon 4th
Cheltenham 6th
Grimsby 7th,
Macclesfield 9th
Mansfield 12th
Salford 15th

Next five games:

Port Vale 14th
Northampton 18th
Walsall 21st
Oldham 22nd
Scunthorpe 24th

Of course the gloomy, pint half empty brigade will suggest that the teams are doing well because they've played us already!

But the alternative view is, we've had a tough start and now have a run of weaker sides, relatively speaking. Let's aim for five wins in the next five games! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Like it Keith.
3 pts AWAY today for starters, just to get the ball rolling. Can’t wait. COYS.
Slanester

Postby Andy D » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:03 am

So far this season I think from a football entertainment point of view I think we look better with 3 at the back and wing-backs

I love 4-4-2 but don't think we've got the quality to play that formation and will only get over run in midfield.

Slowly getting there, aslong as we stay up and play our best football at home and increase attendances.
Andy D

Postby al1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:15 am

How many home wins this season so far?
al1

Postby redrobo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:52 am

Keith wrote:As it stands, the positions of the teams we've played so far this season:

Exeter 1st
Swindon 4th
Cheltenham 6th
Grimsby 7th,
Macclesfield 9th
Mansfield 12th
Salford 15th

Next five games:

Port Vale 14th
Northampton 18th
Walsall 21st
Oldham 22nd
Scunthorpe 24th

Interestingly 3 of those teams struggled along with us last season but have invested some monies to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Of course too early to predict what will be their final position but another example of some clubs willingness to gamble financially when nothing is certain. I'd rather we operated within our financial constraints than went on a 'shit or bust' journey into the unknown.
redrobo

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 am

redrobo wrote:

Exeter 1st
Swindon 4th
Cheltenham 6th
Grimsby 7th,
Macclesfield 9th
Mansfield 12th
Salford 15th

Next five games:

Port Vale 14th
Northampton 18th
Walsall 21st
Oldham 22nd
Scunthorpe 24th

Interestingly 3 of those teams struggled along with us last season but have invested some monies to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Of course too early to predict what will be their final position but another example of some clubs willingness to gamble financially when nothing is certain. I'd rather we operated within our financial constraints than went on a 'shit or bust' journey into the unknown.

The worrying part of that is one of them , Macclesfield must have a very similar budget to us if not smaller. Yet they seem to have signed a lot of young talent from non-league that seems to be improving them as a team. Do our scouts not see the same promise in these players as the Macclesfield scouts ? We gave Kenyon a new contract when we should have been trying for Jay Harris who went to Macclesfield. We desperately need a like for like replacement for Fleming but we are told the budget is spent.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby al1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:41 am

So last seasons 3 home games v cheltenham,grimsby and exeter we accrued 4 points,this season against those teams we have 1 point.Goals scored last season 5 against 3 conceded,this season 2 goals scored and 5 conceded.
al1

Postby Andy D » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:49 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
The worrying part of that is one of them , Macclesfield must have a very similar budget to us if not smaller. Yet they seem to have signed a lot of young talent from non-league that seems to be improving them as a team. Do our scouts not see the same promise in these players as the Macclesfield scouts ? We gave Kenyon a new contract when we should have been trying for Jay Harris who went to Macclesfield. We desperately need a like for like replacement for Fleming but we are told the budget is spent.

Very good point! Macclesfield are in the N/W same catchment area.

It's Survival buying up & coming younger players who want to better themselves you can then sell on and make money on them.

Ie. Although I like Buxton(dependable), but was there not a younger R/B in non league with lots of ability we could have improved(coached) with us? And then potentially sold onto a Championship or L1 club for a six figure sum?
Andy D

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Gone_Shrimping wrote:
We desperately need a like for like replacement for Fleming but we are told the budget is spent.

Yes it is... ON FLEMING!!!

Until his insurance is agreed, he's still our player and being paid, so only once his position is agreed will his salary become available for another player.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:57 pm

Keith wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote:
We desperately need a like for like replacement for Fleming but we are told the budget is spent.

Yes it is... ON FLEMING!!!

Until his insurance is agreed, he's still our player and being paid, so only once his position is agreed will his salary become available for another player.

Yes , I know. And quite rightly so as he has given us 9 years of service and we have to stand by him at this awful time for him.
We knew about his retirement before Kenyon signed a new contract and my point was the money should have gone towards a replacement for Fleming rather than on a bit part utility player.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Phil Anderer » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Exeter 1st
Swindon 4th
Cheltenham 6th
Grimsby 7th,
Macclesfield 9th
Mansfield 12th
Salford 15th

Next five games:
:(
Port Vale 14th
Northampton 18th
Walsall 21st
Oldham 22nd
Scunthorpe 24th

First of those 5 gone tits up Keith. :(
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Keith » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Phil Anderer wrote:First of those 5 gone tits up Keith. :(

Yup, I was feeling optimistic when I posted that and was thinking we were going to really attack Scunthorpe today. We were awful :cry: :cry: :cry: Play like that again on Tuesday and we will be in real trouble.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Sakhalin Shrimp » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Keith wrote:

It was my view that the teams doing well are at our expense and I think I’ve a right to be gloomy after today’s game. Really glad I was working at home and didn’t see it first hand.
A man doesn't know what happiness is until he's married. By then it's too late.
Sakhalin Shrimp

Return to General Discussion