Carlos Mendes Gomez?

Re: Carlos Mendes Gomez?

Postby Shrimpy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:12 pm

Little Shrimp wrote:There are a lot of factors that go into performances and I don't think it's as simple as just saying "he's gone here and done well/badly so that proves a point". Stockton/Miller have been fantastic in previous spells, but struggled at other clubs and now Stockton appears to be struggling on his return. Got to appreciate the nuance.

I think the point is more that they were at a club where they were getting regular games, loved by the fans and manager and performing really well.

They've decided to move to other clubs where they are now struggling to get game time (Collins & Mills) or dropped a level and doing terribly (Mandeville, bottom of the National League).

Lets say none of those players turn their situation round, it would be fair to say they've taken short term gain to get a bit of extra money now to the detriment of their long term career prospects.

Collins is the biggest shame out of all of these to be honest, never really had a proper home before, he would have been our star player with the whole team revolving around him with us and with him being as young as he was you could easily have seen him been sold to a bigger club in a year or two for good money.

Instead, he's likely going to get lost in the shuffle of the stupid amount of forwards FGR have, struggle to keep a regular place in the side, probably get sent out on loan at some point to another club and not really progress as a player.

You just wish that a few more of these players who depart us in similar circumstances could be tempted to stay and with these examples and others before them that the grass isn't always greener.
Shrimpy

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Perhaps if Collins was looked after better while he was with us he might've signed! Not ideal sleeping on a team-mates sofa!!
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Posh » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 pm

It’s funny that last season we had so many have good seasons with us only to abandon us at the first opportunity only to perform poorly or not a chance elsewhere.

The point I made earlier is that those Jim lets go very rarely go on to better things - Padraig Amond and Mark Hughes excepted.

Of those he wants to keep but can’t I’d suggest most of them do succeed - Edwards, Barky, McGowan, Miller, Devitt. The concern is that we haven’t progressed young players that higher clubs want to buy. It is a short list.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:40 am

Posh wrote:The point I made earlier is that those Jim lets go very rarely go on to better things - Padraig Amond and Mark Hughes excepted.

He wanted to keep Podge too. Circumstances & finances dictated otherwise.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby redrobo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:47 am

Keith wrote:
Posh wrote:The point I made earlier is that those Jim lets go very rarely go on to better things - Padraig Amond and Mark Hughes excepted.

He wanted to keep Podge too. Circumstances & finances dictated otherwise.

How very true and until we get owners who are prepared to bank role the club without any expectations of making any money out of their purchase things will remain as they are.

PMcG has come in for a lot of criticism over the sale and other things during his tenure but at least the guy funded the club season after season accepting i would suggest knowing full well that his total investment in monetary terms would never be returned come the day of any future sale.

My worry is that our current owners come May will be looking for a return on their financial input and that our club could be cast into another period of uncertainty and turmoil.
redrobo

Postby Keith » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:30 am

Westgate Wanderer wrote:Perhaps if Collins was looked after better while he was with us he might've signed! Not ideal sleeping on a team-mates sofa!!

Were our wages so poor that he couldn't afford to rent somewhere himself? Is that why he decided to move for a huge pay increase?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Slanester » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:38 am

redrobo wrote:
My worry is that our current owners come May will be looking for a return on their financial input and that our club could be cast into another period of uncertainty and turmoil.

rr, forget about May, and just look forward to 3 pts tomorrow. :D
Worry.....” is like paying the bill, before the food has even arrived.” :D :D
Slanester

Postby redrobo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Slanester wrote:
redrobo wrote:

Can't hide away from the fact that May will be yet another period of change for our club.

As for tomorrow, just want some sort of points return....preferably 3....
redrobo

Postby Slanester » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:41 pm

redrobo wrote:
Slanester wrote:
redrobo wrote:

Can't hide away from the fact that May will be yet another period of change for our club.

As for tomorrow, just want some sort of points return....preferably 3....

Yes rr, agree, a period of change is inevitable. As to exactly when, and whether the change is positive/ negative, we can only wait to see. Til then COYS.
Slanester

Previous

Return to General Discussion