Re: Zak Mills signs .....

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:12 pm

I beat you to it.....!!!!!!!!!

By a nano second :lol:
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:14 pm

(I've deleted my thread on this to avoid duplicates)
Seasider9601

Postby Slanester » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Again, this was always “odds on” to happen, we all just lived in hope against it.

I still think that for the season ahead, things are still looking, potentially, really good. COYS.
Slanester

Postby black morse » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:46 pm

Who was it saying we now seem to have the money to compete with the others? Clearly we do not.

Whilst I'm not surprised I'm really disappointed :cry:
black morse

Postby Shrimp Girl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Player of the year always seems to move on. We really need to choose more carefully in future.
Shrimp Girl

Postby Seasider9601 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:50 pm

Seasider9601

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:54 pm

Wow just wow, didn't see that one coming :shock:
HALMA 1983

Postby Ispyshrimp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:05 pm

Although obviously players move for more money etc given the majorities short careers, you sometimes have to wonder where they would be without Jim's help get them there

Those that have left now, all were struggling for a team last season or unused subs etc and Mills was just one of them having been let go by Grimsby, and has now moved on, again one of those players who potentially another season with us would have been in the shop window for bigger clubs than a problematic club like Oldham.

Good luck to the lad though as was a very good player for us last season and proves Jim can get the best out of players who until they arrive have had struggling seasons.
Ispyshrimp

Postby BerlinWaller » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:07 pm

black morse wrote:Who was it saying we now seem to have the money to compete with the others? Clearly we do not.

I said compete, not sign everyone. Zak states there were numerous factors in his choice to sign for Oldham.

This is the one that hurts the most
BerlinWaller

Postby Vinny » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Gutted at this. Another quality player. Good luck to him and thanks for the great games he played for us.

At least this and other losses opens the door for some fresh faces in the squad.
Bring me sunshine, in your smile.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Vinny

Postby Slanester » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:19 pm

OLDHAMADE wrote:Wow just wow, didn't see that one coming :shock:

One season, and he will be back, banging on JB’s door. :lol: :lol:
PS. Good luck to him, oh,and Oldham!!
Slanester

Postby Shrimp Girl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:51 pm

It does feel a bit like going to a party and your date gets off with so meone else :|
Shrimp Girl

Postby HALMA 1983 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Slanester wrote:
OLDHAMADE wrote:Wow just wow, didn't see that one coming :shock:

One season, and he will be back, banging on JB’s door. :lol: :lol:
PS. Good luck to him, oh,and Oldham!!

I don't think so and I'm as surprised as everyone else because he's easily a level above both club's
HALMA 1983

Postby Ispyshrimp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:25 pm

However was let go by Grimsby end of last season until Jim took him under his wing and turned him around
Ispyshrimp

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Shrimp Girl wrote:It does feel a bit like going to a party and your date gets off with so meone else :|

That is an excellent parallel !

Part of me hopes that Collins , Mills and Mandeville bomb at their new clubs and realise that staying with Jim and MFC would have been better for their careers and in the long term their bank balances.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Slanester » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:47 pm

Ispyshrimp wrote:However was let go by Grimsby end of last season until Jim took him under his wing and turned him around

There is even a reference to him being released from Grimsby on the Oldham forum.

For me, Morecambe F.C. is summed up perfectly by the saying .....The whole is greater than the sum of it’s parts.
Slanester

Postby BerlinWaller » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:46 pm

black morse wrote:Who was it saying we now seem to have the money to compete with the others? Clearly we do not.

And Oldham have just flogged a player for £700,000 so they have a few bob to chuck abouy
BerlinWaller

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:40 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:

And Oldham have just flogged a player for £700,000 so they have a few bob to chuck abouy

All about the pulling power of the SPL and Stevie G :?
HALMA 1983

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:17 am

A blow losing Zak Mills , but more from his attacking runs than defensive duties. Defensively he got his pants pulled down a few times , for example home to Oldham and the injury time penalty against Crewe.

We can replace him with somebody better defensively but maybe without his forward panache. If we could sign Mingoia on loan or even permanently this would help.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby fulwoodshrimp » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:16 am

In my opinion his defensive work was the weakest element of his game. His bombing forward to create mayhem in an opposition's defence was the strongest element. Clearly, Grimsby were concerned about him defensively and released him. Not sure his move to Oldham is good for him in the longer term especially if they are looking for solid defensive work from him. Time will tell but I bet when we play Oldham his defensive qualities will be closely examined!
fulwoodshrimp

Postby Keith » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:35 pm

fulwoodshrimp wrote:In my opinion his defensive work was the weakest element of his game. His bombing forward to create mayhem in an opposition's defence was the strongest element. Clearly, Grimsby were concerned about him defensively and released him. Not sure his move to Oldham is good for him in the longer term especially if they are looking for solid defensive work from him. Time will tell but I bet when we play Oldham his defensive qualities will be closely examined!

I'm inclined to agree with you and think he may have benefitted from another season with us rather than another League Two side. We'll see how it goes, but if he doesn't perform from day one, he may struggle, especially if their fans start to get on his back.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby CityShrimp » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:18 pm

Same situation as Collins - it’s disappointing to lose both of them to fellow league 2 clubs. If they both signed for good league 1 clubs or championship clubs then it would be easier to accept.

Seems very much like both players cashed their chips too early, to their detriment and ours.
CityShrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Keith wrote:
fulwoodshrimp wrote:In my opinion his defensive work was the weakest element of his game. His bombing forward to create mayhem in an opposition's defence was the strongest element. Clearly, Grimsby were concerned about him defensively and released him. Not sure his move to Oldham is good for him in the longer term especially if they are looking for solid defensive work from him. Time will tell but I bet when we play Oldham his defensive qualities will be closely examined!

I'm inclined to agree with you and think he may have benefitted from another season with us rather than another League Two side. We'll see how it goes, but if he doesn't perform from day one, he may struggle, especially if their fans start to get on his back.

He won't be on his own as it's all going to be very makeshift after the end of season clear out and besides he'll be one of the better players I've no doubts.
HALMA 1983

Postby Redalert1970 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:56 am

Zak has signed for Oldham that's fine

But what I would like too know is who actually signed him as there new manager as just taken over and has never managed a league two game before
Redalert1970

Next

Return to General Discussion