"I feel not respected and underappreciated."

Re: "I feel not respected and underappreciated."

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:53 am

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Keith » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:58 am

marky No.1 wrote:https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/morecambe-fc/jim-bentley-angered-by-the-reaction-to-vadaine-oliver-s-return-during-morecambe-s-draw-with-grimsby-town-1-9710795

When the seagulls follow the trawlers... :cry:
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Morecambe Jack » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:00 pm

Fantastic publicity in the lead up to the Club wanting to break the highest league attendance at the Globe.
Morecambe Jack

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:01 pm

redrobo wrote:JB has done wonders season in, season out working under lack of finance and up until lately no adequate training facilities BUT surely he has to understand that fans are frustrated that we constantly battle with relegation and that maybe a season whereby we could be in a comfortable mid table position or even battling it out for promotion would be a welcome diversion from what has become the norm.

Dream on Neil :lol:
What do folk expect when you're up against clubs twice and three times the size of Morecambe vitually every game they play and it'll be even tougher next season whether Jim stays or goes.
The league below has bigger clubs in it, so there's sharks circling in every pool.
HALMA 1983

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Keith wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Sorry Keith but I think your statement regarding people expecting caviar is condescending and incorrect. Nobody who watches League 2 footy expects Tiki-Taka football. Just because they are shouting at the players or Manager doesn't mean they don't know what they are on about. I can understand it being an annoyance to Jim but it is part of the game. Does he expect the fans to sit in Silence and accept everything he does? Like someone else said, if he moves on to another club he will get a hell of a lot worse than he gets from Morecambe fans. Alienating more fans will not be beneficial to the club and may lead to the Old folks home that the scare mongers keep alluding to a reality sooner rather than later.

Go on any footy forum this morning and you will
see posts on the Manager or players not doing the right thing. I think even you have made posts questioning Jim.

I have definitely expressed frustration in the past. I, like pretty much everyone on here and at games throughout the country, am an 'armchair manager', that's a central part of being a football fan! But there is a difference between expressing a different opinion and being abusive towards a man who has given 100% to the club throughout our most challenging period of history, bar the mid/late 1980's.

Last season, people were saying they'd rather see us play well and lose. Clearly that's not the case, because by and large, we've actually played some decent football this season. With better refereeing decisions and a bit of good luck, we would have been at least ten points higher up the table. Even yesterday, there were periods of good football, unfortunately, not leading to any clear openings. I think this is the basis of a decent squad, assembled for peanuts. Jim's task was to defeat the bookmakers and keep us in the Football League once again. He's done that and I think we should be more appreciative.

Hopefully, he'll go on holiday in a couple of weeks time, returning fully fresh and ready for another season of Football League football. Ideally, he'll be given a bit of extra cash and a definite agreement regarding training facilities etc. Then let's see what he can achieve.

Was it abuse that was shouted towards Jim or are you speculating? If it was personal abuse shouted at Jim then fair does, he has every right to be annoyed. I haven't seen any evidence of it being "abuse" unless questioning him is deemed as such
BerlinWaller

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:56 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Keith wrote:
BerlinWaller wrote:Sorry Keith but I think your statement regarding people expecting caviar is condescending and incorrect. Nobody who watches League 2 footy expects Tiki-Taka football. Just because they are shouting at the players or Manager doesn't mean they don't know what they are on about. I can understand it being an annoyance to Jim but it is part of the game. Does he expect the fans to sit in Silence and accept everything he does? Like someone else said, if he moves on to another club he will get a hell of a lot worse than he gets from Morecambe fans. Alienating more fans will not be beneficial to the club and may lead to the Old folks home that the scare mongers keep alluding to a reality sooner rather than later.

Go on any footy forum this morning and you will
see posts on the Manager or players not doing the right thing. I think even you have made posts questioning Jim.

I have definitely expressed frustration in the past. I, like pretty much everyone on here and at games throughout the country, am an 'armchair manager', that's a central part of being a football fan! But there is a difference between expressing a different opinion and being abusive towards a man who has given 100% to the club throughout our most challenging period of history, bar the mid/late 1980's.

Last season, people were saying they'd rather see us play well and lose. Clearly that's not the case, because by and large, we've actually played some decent football this season. With better refereeing decisions and a bit of good luck, we would have been at least ten points higher up the table. Even yesterday, there were periods of good football, unfortunately, not leading to any clear openings. I think this is the basis of a decent squad, assembled for peanuts. Jim's task was to defeat the bookmakers and keep us in the Football League once again. He's done that and I think we should be more appreciative.

Hopefully, he'll go on holiday in a couple of weeks time, returning fully fresh and ready for another season of Football League football. Ideally, he'll be given a bit of extra cash and a definite agreement regarding training facilities etc. Then let's see what he can achieve.

Was it abuse that was shouted towards Jim or are you speculating? If it was personal abuse shouted at Jim then fair does, he has every right to be annoyed. I haven't seen any evidence of it being "abuse" unless questioning him is deemed as such

Every one has their breaking point and Jim has obviously reached his, years of constant pressure without hope or rest bite would have finished many a man off alot sooner but full credit to him for putting up with it, the way he has.
HALMA 1983

Postby Shrimp Girl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Agree completely, all credit to him. I have no idea what was said from behind the dugout, but booing Bennett's substitution was well out of order. I do think it was to do with Bennett going off rather than Oliver coming on, but why such an extreme reaction? Ritchie has been great for us, but today he was getting bundled off the ball which is not like him, so something was clearly amiss.
From my seat I could hear singing for Vadaine from the terraces as he warmed up. From nearby there were also a few oh-here-we-go type comments and eyerolls from people I know don't rate him that much. Fair enough, two different opinions. None of the eye-rollers went as far as to boo and I don't think they ever would. What did annoy me was a comment from the ether, once V had got stuck in and won a few balls. Not praise, but a fairly patronising "well he's had a nice rest."
WTF? He's had a long term injury, been working to get better, been down to St George's for rehab and training.. people really think he's been watching telly for eight weeks? No possibility that he's been training hard and upped his game then? No possibility that our management and coaching staff do more than sit in the dugout for 90 minutes when we aren't looking?

Be nice. Give credit where it's due. Moan a bit if you must, but please, be vocal about the positives as well. We have a new penalty taker! Got to be worth a cheer surely?
Shrimp Girl

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:44 pm

Sammy Mc used to get hammered on here despite achieving what he did. PMG is cannon fodder despite bank rolling us for over a decade. Numerous players have been slagged off and written off as no good time and again. It is nothing new. The holier than thou's have done it for years.
BerlinWaller

Postby thedoc » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Posh:
Certain people in C Prem think their opinion on say astrophysics is up there with Einstein because they’ve watched every episode of Dr Who.

Brilliant. I love Jim but he should have counted to ten before saying what he did yesterday. But we're all human, aren't we? Lid blows off occasionally, so what? At least he's not a little wotsit like the (soon to be ex-?) Manager of Fleetwood and I personally wouldn't swap him for anybody...
thedoc

Postby shrimperteer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:14 pm

He's called a spade a spade and is getting stick for it.
We all know there are people calling for him to be sacked who don't know their arse from their elbow football wise. Clowns is polite :lol:

Those who like to call themselves the silent majority are usually the loudmouth minority. Thankfully the majority of fans actually know that Jim is doing a great job. As do fans of other clubs who don't have a dog in the fight either way.
shrimperteer

Postby BerlinWaller » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Just go on youtube and watch Arsenal TV or the other clubs versions. Unqualified supporters airing their views on a media platform. It is the modern way, everyone is an expert. Maybe we should have a fancam at the end of every game.
BerlinWaller

Postby redrobo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:04 pm

On Friday's evening Radio Lancashire preview of the weekend games one of the ex footballers on the panel made reference to the longevity of JB and suggested that the reason why Jim to date has never been able to progress in his managerial career is the fact that clubs are unwilling to invest in a proven manager who has had no experience of handling a large financial budget, preferring to go with a manager who has had the experience of spending money on quality players.

Maybe if JB was given a decent budget to work with (hopefully next season) then his chances of progressing as he has always expressed a desire to do so would be improved.

Until he has money to spend on quality we will never know if he has the potential to progress to a higher level. He deserves an opportunity at the very least.
redrobo

Postby Phil Anderer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:14 pm

A point in respect of Bennett's substitution, which was at least hinted at by at least one other poster. I thought before he went off that he seemed to be hobbling/limping slightly, and he had become less effective, so I actually think it was the right decision, with Oliver more of a like-for-like swap than Collins, who in any event came on shortly after for Kev.
The 3 rules of Fascism:
1. Make stuff up;
2. Scream it loudly;
3. Kill people.
(copyright Eddie Izzard)
Phil Anderer

Postby Sammy h » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:34 pm

I don't post much on here anymore, nor do I attend games as much as I used to so some may say I am not entitled to an opinion, however when I heard Jim's interview yesterday I felt compelled to come on here and share my thoughts and defend the man.

Jim Bentley has earnt the right to call out these so called fans. Morecambe FC have the smallest budget in the league, we are the favourites to go down every season. Yet every single time Jim Bentley delivers and we survive. EVERY SINGLE TIME. What do these fans realistically expect us to be doing?

It was genuinely upsetting to hear Jim like this. He sounded extremely down and despondent on a day where we all but guaranteed another season of League Two football.

Thank you for everything you do Jim Bentley and I hope that you are managing this team for many more seasons to come. Morecambe legend.

Sammy H
Sammy h

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Sammy h wrote:I don't post much on here anymore, nor do I attend games as much as I used to so some may say I am not entitled to an opinion, however when I heard Jim's interview yesterday I felt compelled to come on here and share my thoughts and defend the man.

Jim Bentley has earnt the right to call out these so called fans. Morecambe FC have the smallest budget in the league, we are the favourites to go down every season. Yet every single time Jim Bentley delivers and we survive. EVERY SINGLE TIME. What do these fans realistically expect us to be doing?

It was genuinely upsetting to hear Jim like this. He sounded extremely down and despondent on a day where we all but guaranteed another season of League Two football.

Thank you for everything you do Jim Bentley and I hope that you are managing this team for many more seasons to come. Morecambe legend.

Sammy H

That's a great post and one I'm sure Jim would fully appreciate.
HALMA 1983

Postby Born again Bill » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:33 am

Sammy h wrote:I don't post much on here anymore, nor do I attend games as much as I used to so some may say I am not entitled to an opinion, however when I heard Jim's interview yesterday I felt compelled to come on here and share my thoughts and defend the man.

Sammy H

In a nutshell !!!
Born again Bill

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:55 am

No training ground
Smallest fan base
Smallest budget

Constant overachievement.

Yeah - he’s got every reason to blast back and fair play to him. As I’ve said. He’s the one at the training ground, he’s the one with the training reports, he’s the one with the qualifications. He’s the one who’s rallied the troops when they’ve not been paid, when the clubs been in court.

When and only when this club has been relegated does anyone have the right to have a go.

If you want to see a promotion campaign, other clubs are available. We’ve now got a generation of fans who don’t remember us playing conference football. A few people need to remember that night in Emley I feel.
SupermarketShrimp

Postby broadwayshrimp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 am

I agree that people pay their money and have a right to say what they want within reason. However there are pockets of fans around the ground who come to games with the sole intention of having a go at certain players and the management. They turn up and spout the same repetitive sh1te week in week out regardless of how the team's performing. It's all they want to do.
I say good on you Jim for airing your feelings. Just surprised you kept it bottled for so long.
broadwayshrimp

Postby HALMA 1983 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 am

SupermarketShrimp wrote:No training ground
Smallest fan base
Smallest budget

Constant overachievement.

Yeah - he’s got every reason to blast back and fair play to him. As I’ve said. He’s the one at the training ground, he’s the one with the training reports, he’s the one with the qualifications. He’s the one who’s rallied the troops when they’ve not been paid, when the clubs been in court.

When and only when this club has been relegated does anyone have the right to have a go.

If you want to see a promotion campaign, other clubs are available. We’ve now got a generation of fans who don’t remember us playing conference football. A few people need to remember that night in Emley I feel.

Some folk's sense of entitlement would completely disagree with every word you've written but for me that's all that needs saying and argument over.
HALMA 1983

Postby black morse » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:52 am

There will always be some who want more no matter what and moan when they don't get it.
Wait for the moans when some of our best players get signed by other clubs because we don't have the money to keep them :cry:
black morse

Postby SupermarketShrimp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:47 am

And for another thing. No people are not entitled to an opinion because they’ve paid money.

I’m about to buy a Coffee on my way into the office. I’ve no idea how to make a latte properly but I’ve seen it done hundreds of times. If I call the barista a useless fat twat and he/she/they should be replaced with a different team of baristas from cafe Nero, am I likely to be allowed to walk back in all smiley faced or should I be rightly run out of the shop and barred?
SupermarketShrimp

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:09 am

Sammy H

Spot on that Sammy. Absolutely nail hit on head.

I find it absolutely incredulous and sickening to the pit of my stomach that "fans" moan and whinge about where we are in the league etc when they know FULL WELL what Jim has to work with as his disposal.

It's unbelievable it really is.

Keep at it Jim. Don't let the b@$t@rd$ grind you down.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:17 am

I take your points and I agree that Jim must feel so fed up. Two of the posts have come from lads who admittedly don't attend games anymore.
BerlinWaller

Postby Seasider9601 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:27 am

BerlinWaller wrote:Two of the posts have come from lads who admittedly don't attend games anymore.

For personal reasons which have been mentioned previously in my case.

I have had a season ticket from the 1985/86 season and even had one LAST season but was unfortunately unable to use it once (but I'd still bought one), and I think Jim Bentley is doing an amazing job with the tools he has at hand. (And, despite the "tools" he has sat behind him "directing operations" from C Block...)

There's an old saying which goes something like you never appreciate something entirely until it is gone, and this is true in this case. In my humble opinion.
Never forget your history
Seasider9601

Postby cyprus-shrimp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 am

I think it fair to say that the majority of MFC fans appreciate just how much Jim Bentley has done for the club over the years (surely clearly demonstrated by the collection to pay his fine). Wouldn't the next home match (against Cheltenham with a larger than usual crowd), be a great opportunity to collectively show that appreciation once again? Maybe some chants/songs etc in LOUD SUPPORT of the man and all that he has done for the club. There must be people out there who could organise something like this.
The wine and the football seem better in the sunshine!!
cyprus-shrimp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion