The "JIM BENTLEY OUT" thread. (Please don't start any more)

Re: The "JIM BENTLEY OUT" thread. (Please don't start any mo

Postby Slanester » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:14 pm

al1 wrote:Without reading this article I wonder how many times mr bowyer has seen us play!

That could also apply to some of those that have plenty to say, on various pages. :?:

Like a I said, “ what does he know.” :shock:
Slanester

Postby Freez » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:14 pm

About the same number as at least one JIm out advocate on here, I suspect.
So if his opinion isn’t relevant, neither is at least one on here!!! :lol:
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby al1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Not saying his view is not relevant,but efl managers have their own round up gang. Would love to read the scouting report regarding tomorrows game
al1

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:57 pm

“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby al1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Okay then,a few quotes that I find incomprehensible "deserves a crack higher up,gets his teams going,eternally grateful, and good football" What a load of tosh,does not resemble what I have been watching for the last few seasons!
al1

Postby MfcChris » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Jin will not be here next season. Last time Morecambe let a managers contract expire, he left 'mutually'. Jim always gets a renewal by now
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:20 pm

“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

Keith
Site Admin

Postby mrpotatohead » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:48 am

When someone writes an updated version of Ken Ormrods "potted shrimps" one day, maybe in 2050, about non league Morecambe FC, the standout hero in the history of the club will be Jim Bentley , the man who captained us, as a playing legend, into league football, and then for over ten years , against all odds, kept us in the football league.

I think for Jim's sake, a fresh challenge might be a good thing, he has done all he can for Morecambe FC and he could take on a bigger job knowing he did all he could for us, I hope he goes on to bigger things because he deserves success at a higher level.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
mrpotatohead

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:55 am

For the majority of Morecambe fans , those who only attend home games for whatever reason , other commitments , cost of away games etc , these fans have not seen a win of any kind since April which is 6 months ago.

To be averaging over 2,100 ( this figure will increase after today's game) shows what a fantastic hardcore of supporters the club have.

We need to start winning very soon or changes will have to be made however regrettable that may be to some.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby Slanester » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:15 am

mrpotatohead wrote:When someone writes an updated version of Ken Ormrods "potted shrimps" one day, maybe in 2050, about non league Morecambe FC, the standout hero in the history of the club will be Jim Bentley , the man who captained us, as a playing legend, into league football, and then for over ten years , against all odds, kept us in the football league.

I think for Jim's sake, a fresh challenge might be a good thing, he has done all he can for Morecambe FC and he could take on a bigger job knowing he did all he could for us, I hope he goes on to bigger things because he deserves success at a higher level.

Within the “framework “ of MFC, I couldn’t agree more mrp.
Whatever the next chapter is, nothing will stop me attending, and supporting my hometown club.
Slanester

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 am

mrpotatohead wrote:When someone writes an updated version of Ken Ormrods "potted shrimps" one day, maybe in 2050, about non league Morecambe FC, the standout hero in the history of the club will be Jim Bentley , the man who captained us, as a playing legend, into league football, and then for over ten years , against all odds, kept us in the football league.

Absolutely! "Against all odds" quite literally. The bookmakers aren't wrong often but they've been wrong every season that Jim has been in charge. In another thread, John says that the current period is as bad as it has ever been since the 1980's. I can't get my head around how losing 7-1 to Workington, 9-0 to Bangor or 1-3 to Lancaster City is comparable to playing teams who were in the Premier League not that long ago (Oldham & Bradford) or Championship, (Scunthorpe). We're a National League North sized club surviving in the Football League! That's something to be proud of. I'm sure we will turn this current run around, like everyone else, it hurts every time we lose, no matter who the opponents, but if this is the season we slip out of the League, Jim Bentley deserves a lot more respect than some people give him.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby shrimperteer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:32 am

Exactly. We'll be like the Charlton fans who wanted Alan Curbishley out because he wasn't getting them into Europe, despite keeping them an established Premier League team. We're over achieving by about 2 divisions but we're not over achieving enough stop toys going out of the pram from some on here.
One clown on here mentioned we could slap him in the face with it if we won 3 or 4 games on the bounce. That just sums up the fickle, short sighted view of the game some fans have.
Hopefully we'll look back on the League days with some fondness when we end up back at our natural level.
shrimperteer

Postby KenH » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:08 am

We may be "over-achieving" but what's the point when we've not won a home game in 6 months and not had a decent cup run for 5 years?

Yes, we may have a warm glow of being in League 2 but it's not really done much to benefit the club.

It's 5 years since we've had the benefit of a cup run with the resultant television and winnings money.

At the end of the day, what's the point of being in L2 if we're never going to be in a position to benefit from it?
KenH

Postby Slanester » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:24 am

KenH wrote:We may be "over-achieving" but what's the point when we've not won a home game in 6 months and not had a decent cup run for 5 years?

Yes, we may have a warm glow of being in League 2 but it's not really done much to benefit the club.

It's 5 years since we've had the benefit of a cup run with the resultant television and winnings money.

At the end of the day, what's the point of being in L2 if we're never going to be in a position to benefit from it?

Your answer to that, will come if we end up being relegated, but hopefully that never happens. As it stands, our current manager has some how(??????), kept us in the position, of that answer not needing consideration. Long may it continue. COYS.
Slanester

Postby redrobo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:24 am

KenH wrote:We may be "over-achieving" but what's the point when we've not won a home game in 6 months and not had a decent cup run for 5 years?

No point in us throwing in the towel and saying that we survived in the EFL for as long as we did. We have to have ambition and if that is to simply survive then so be it.

I once posted that maybe a return to non league would be good. How wrong I was. Non league is just as costly as EFL unless we drop even further down the pyramid.

A change of manager might be necessary in the future but whatever happens we MUST retain EFL status whatever the cost.
redrobo

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:39 am

We've been brainwashed into the thinking that if we finish 3rd bottom (2nd bottom this season) it in a worthy achievement! It is fantastic that we are in the Football League, but when we were in the NPL playing bigger sides lke Stafford Rangers, Scarbrough even the mighty Mossley we always went down playing attacking football (apart from the Cubbage era) doing our best and winning games now and then. We even managed to sack managers when they won the peak of our desires in those days i.e. the Lancashire Junior Cup!! Our style of play has slowly eroded into a dour fightless spectacle over the last few years. Few bright spots, 6 wins out of the last 24 games last season were pretty much the best it's been! The "mighty teams" that we play in this league may have been in the Premier League but they are in our league because they are only good enough for our level of competition! I don't expect miracles, the last time we got in a play-off position that ended with a record defeat! Bit of entertainment, guille, creativity, go down fighting wouldn't go amiss. I remember going to away matches and the away dozen would celebrate a corner!! :D If we are to go down then at least can we go down all guns blazing?
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Keith » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:59 am

redrobo wrote:

No point in us throwing in the towel and saying that we survived in the EFL for as long as we did. We have to have ambition and if that is to simply survive then so be it.

I once posted that maybe a return to non league would be good. How wrong I was. Non league is just as costly as EFL unless we drop even further down the pyramid.

A change of manager might be necessary in the future but whatever happens we MUST retain EFL status whatever the cost.

In the past, I've had people say to me that they feel like they were "just treading water." My response is that "treading water is a lot better than drowning." With what we've been through in the last few years it is a wonder we're still in existence at all. We've kept ourselves afloat and yes, anything above relegation is a bonus.

True, sides like Bradford are in League Two on merit, or lack of it more to the point, but they are still sides that are huge in comparison to us. They have resources we don't even dream about. While they shop at John Lewis we're looking in the charity shop window! Somehow, Jim Bentley keeps finding discarded Debenhams suits in Oxfam! The fact that we've played teams like Bradford & Blackpool as their peers is incredible. I'd rather struggle and play them than be a top half side playing Curzon Ashton & Spennymore!

As for the cup run and being on TV, when were we on TV when we were non-League? I agree it is bloody frustrating that we mess up each time in the cup (Halifax, Dover & Dagenham remain engrained in my nightmares) but we've had some great League Cup moments (including being robbed by Newcastle!) which we will lose out on if/when relegated.

So yes, I'm okay with us treading water for the time being. Others disagree, but to me, that is a huge achievement on its own and it is a lot better than drowning! I live in hope that we will eventually reach a point in time when Jim is given enough money to compete on level terms. If he only just avoids relegation then, then okay, time up. But until then, I remain thankful for what we're [over] achieving.

Keith
Site Admin

Postby Slanester » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:02 am

Westgate Wanderer wrote:We've been brainwashed

How patronising is that. Who has, and by who.?
Slanester

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:30 am

Keith wrote:
redrobo wrote:

In the past, I've had people say to me that they feel like they were "just treading water." My response is that "treading water is a lot better than drowning." With what we've been through in the last few years it is a wonder we're still in existence at all. We've kept ourselves afloat and yes, anything above relegation is a bonus.

True, sides like Bradford are in League Two on merit, or lack of it more to the point, but they are still sides that are huge in comparison to us. They have resources we don't even dream about. While they shop at John Lewis we're looking in the charity shop window! Somehow, Jim Bentley keeps finding discarded Debenhams suits in Oxfam! The fact that we've played teams like Bradford & Blackpool as their peers is incredible. I'd rather struggle and play them than be a top half side playing Curzon Ashton & Spennymore!

As for the cup run and being on TV, when were we on TV when we were non-League? I agree it is bloody frustrating that we mess up each time in the cup (Halifax, Dover & Dagenham remain engrained in my nightmares) but we've had some great League Cup moments (including being robbed by Newcastle!) which we will lose out on if/when relegated.

So yes, I'm okay with us treading water for the time being. Others disagree, but to me, that is a huge achievement on its own and it is a lot better than drowning! I live in hope that we will eventually reach a point in time when Jim is given enough money to compete on level terms. If he only just avoids relegation then, then okay, time up. But until then, I remain thankful for what we're [over] achieving.

The problem is we aren't treading water at the moment , we are drowning.
Gone_Shrimping

Postby black morse » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:36 am

Our difficulty is that every effort has to be thrown at League 2 survival and we have to rest some of the players from time to time so that is one reason why we are not managing to do well in the cups. We need a bit of luck in the draws and the 'big days' may well come round occasionally. Getting drawn against teams like Burton away is no help at all.

I live in hope every year that we'll end up against one of the big teams with tv money pouring in :roll:
black morse

Postby Westgate Wanderer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 am

Slanester wrote:

From the board, management, you, Keith, all over the moon as long as we don't get relegated! We should be grateful for being one of the worst teams to stay in the Football League. We are the Coventry City who managed to stay in the old First Division without ever threatening the top of the table for donkeys years! Their only triumph was when Gary Mabbut won them the FA Cup in 1987! It just shows any floating supporters that there is no ambition at the club sadly. We could at least aim for midtable mediocrity instead of third bottom! My opinion and i know Slanester will be first to comment as he usually does. :)
Don't worry be happy!
Westgate Wanderer

Postby Slanester » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Westgate Wanderer wrote:
Slanester wrote:

From the board, management, you, Keith, all over the moon as long as we don't get relegated! We should be grateful for being one of the worst teams to stay in the Football League. We are the Coventry City who managed to stay in the old First Division without ever threatening the top of the table for donkeys years! Their only triumph was when Gary Mabbut won them the FA Cup in 1987! It just shows any floating supporters that there is no ambition at the club sadly. We could at least aim for midtable mediocrity instead of third bottom! My opinion and i know Slanester will be first to comment as he usually does. :)

Absolutely going to reply. Something else we have in common. Aswell as being 2 different sides of the same coin.
So let me get this straight. It is your opinion, that anybody who has a different view to you, with regard MFC, has been brainwashed, meaning that they are not capable of doing so by themselves?? Also that facing reality head on,is their lack of ambition.
Who brainwashed you into making your opinion then?
Slanester

Postby Old Man Kensey » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Bottom of the league. One win all season. Sack him now I'm afraid. Seriously who could do any worse?
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby MfcChris » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:54 pm

We are always going to get relegated one season. Why can't people just accept that?
"Supporting a football club is about much more than watching football on a Saturday afternoon. It is about the emotional attachment that people have with a club that sticks with them for life"
MfcChris

Postby HALMA 1983 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:22 pm

I'm still of the opinion that Jim will manage to keep the club playing League Two football next season and after that I hope he walks away with his head held high, he deserves so much better than he's currently getting.
HALMA 1983

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion