Current Squad (updated squad list for 22/23)

Re: Current Squad (updated squad list for 22/23)

Postby Shrimp Girl » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:01 pm

Teaser on twitter! Are we re-signing someone?
https://twitter.com/ShrimpsOfficial/sta ... zfq-2fbS_Q
Shrimp Girl

Postby Redalert1970 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:03 pm

Just signed Jake Taylor from Port Vale

Decent signing
Redalert1970

Postby Andy D » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:46 am

DA said he’s happy to go with a 23 man squad.

so with Rawson, O’Conner, Delaney we certainly need another C/B, and 2 or 3 more in Midfield

we only play 1 upfront so Stockton and Obika can contest the target man role.
Andy D

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:02 am

Personally think we will sign 1 more centre half and 1 midfielder then that will be us done (unless another loan player maybe)
Redalert1970

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:52 am

DA said three more in his Stalybridge interview. Taylor is one, I think the other two could do with being a centre back and a winger. AOC and Rawson are good options at CB but we need another who isn't Delaney. Same with Gnahoua and Connolly on the wing, need another option to them other than McDonald.

Leaves us a bit light in midfield but at least we've got a couple of creative midfielders in Watts and Taylor now. Love can cover for Fane at DM and maybe Cooney could be an option as an 8? I think a winger like O'Sullivan would be ideal given he was able to cover in central midfield.
Little Shrimp

Postby Andy D » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:25 am

Little Shrimp wrote:DA said three more in his Stalybridge interview. Taylor is one, I think the other two could do with being a centre back and a winger. AOC and Rawson are good options at CB but we need another who isn't Delaney. Same with Gnahoua and Connolly on the wing, need another option to them other than McDonald.

Leaves us a bit light in midfield but at least we've got a couple of creative midfielders in Watts and Taylor now. Love can cover for Fane at DM and maybe Cooney could be an option as an 8? I think a winger like O'Sullivan would be ideal given he was able to cover in central midfield.

don't forget Shane McLaughlin in midfield too! :D
Andy D

Postby CityShrimp » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:43 am

Little Shrimp wrote:DA said three more in his Stalybridge interview. Taylor is one, I think the other two could do with being a centre back and a winger. AOC and Rawson are good options at CB but we need another who isn't Delaney. Same with Gnahoua and Connolly on the wing, need another option to them other than McDonald.

Agreed. Most of the transfer listed players are probably alright as backup but the likes of McDonald and Delaney shouldn’t be relied upon in any way shape or form. Another centre back and attacker/winger of first team quality are essential - and we’ll still have a pretty bare squad after that.
CityShrimp

Postby Redalert1970 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:26 am

The likes of Mcdonald and Delaney could end up going out on loan
Redalert1970

Postby redrobo » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:32 am

Redalert1970 wrote:The likes of Mcdonald and Delaney could end up going out on loan

Maybe Delaney could surprise us all as he didn't fit into Judas's style of formation and possibly couldn't play alongside O'Conner who for me is the one to be loaned out ASAP.
redrobo

Postby sandgrown » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:02 pm

redrobo wrote:
Redalert1970 wrote:The likes of Mcdonald and Delaney could end up going out on loan

Maybe Delaney could surprise us all as he didn't fit into Judas's style of formation and possibly couldn't play alongside O'Conner who for me is the one to be loaned out ASAP.

def. agree with this, we only started to win when O'Connor was injured !
sandgrown

Postby Little Shrimp » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:34 pm

Absolute nonsense regarding AOC and the upturn in form - that's just outcome bias.

I think Bennett and Bedeau complimented each other well, but the improvement in performances/defence was much more down to a change in system (a clunky 3-5-2 to a much more DA style 4-3-3) and Fane dropping in front of the back four. He hadn't been starting before that point. That's why we improved, as well as a bit of a psychological break.
Little Shrimp

Postby Freez » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:50 pm

Agreed, still see a role for AOC, think he and Big Faz could work well as they have different attributes, hope so anyway. It’s going to be interesting finding out. As for Delaney, he has had more than enough opportunities, and may yet still get another chance under DA, but he will have to improve.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby RapidShrimp » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:55 am

redrobo wrote:

O’Connor did a very good job across last season. Delaney was horrific. Scunthorpe fans didn’t want to keep him in the National League. Says a lot.
RapidShrimp

Postby RapidShrimp » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:58 am

Jake Taylor signs on a two-year deal! Derek says 3 more incomings are possible without letting anyone go.

Squad number / Player name / Main position / Other positions / Age / Height / strong foot / Transfer listed?

12, A. Da Silva Mendes / GK / 19 / 6'1" / right
??, C. Ripley / GK / 29 / 6’3” / right
41, A. Smith / GK / 29 / 6’3” / right

22, L. Gibson / LB / CB / 25 / 6'1" / left
??, M. Melbourne / LB / CB / 23 / 5’11” / left
26, C. Pye / LB / RB / 18 / 5’7” / left / LISTED

4, A. O'Connor / CB / RB,DM / 29 / 6'0" / right / LISTED
15, R. Delaney / CB / LB / 25 / 6’4" / left / LISTED
??, F. Rawson / CB / 25 / 6’4” / right

2, R. McLaughlin / RB / LB / 27 / 5’10” / right / LISTED
21, R. Cooney / RB / LB,RW / 22 / 5'10" / right / LISTED
??, D. Love / RB / LB,DM,RW / 27 / 5’10” / right

19, S. McLoughlin / CM / AM,DM,RM,RB / 25 / 5’8” / right / LISTED
27, O. Fané / DM / CB / 28 / 6’3” / right
??, C. Watts (loan) / CM / AM,RW,LW / 20 / 5’7” / right
??, J. Taylor / CM / AM,DM,LB / 23 / 5’10” / right

7, W. McDonald / LW / RW,AM / 25 / 5'9" / right / LISTED
11, D. Connolly / RW / LW,AM / 27 / 5’8” / right
24, A. Gnahoua / LW / AM,RW,ST / 29 / 5’11” / left

9, C. Stockton / ST / 28 / 6'1" / right
14, J. Obika / LW / 31 / 6’0” / right / LISTED
28, C. Duffus / ST / LW,RW / 26 / 6’2” / right / LISTED (injured for the season)
RapidShrimp

Postby redrobo » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:21 am

Wonder where Connor Pye has gone as for me this is a mistake by CA not to keep him for the future.
He impressed last close season and I think he should have been kept going forward as an indication that we are a club looking forward and the development of youth which is an area that DA needs to reconsider for our clubs future.

:?: :?: :?:
redrobo

Postby vvm » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:09 am

Dave Salmon confirmed on Twitter that Jake Taylor is NOT one of 'the three signings left'. If Ash Hunter signs then that leaves 2 more spaces. More can be signed if we ship players out. Not sure if a loan signing would count towards that number, would probably depend on if we took on the wages or not would be my guess.
vvm

Postby Little Shrimp » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:43 am

vvm wrote:Dave Salmon confirmed on Twitter that Jake Taylor is NOT one of 'the three signings left'. If Ash Hunter signs then that leaves 2 more spaces. More can be signed if we ship players out. Not sure if a loan signing would count towards that number, would probably depend on if we took on the wages or not would be my guess.

Certainly good news that Taylor isn't included as part of the three more he can bring in. I think loans would count towards that total as presumably we'll be paying out a portion of their wages etc.

Winger (Hunter) and centre back are the priorities, then I think another midfielder after that would be good considering that we're relying on full backs as back-up options there currently.
Little Shrimp

Postby black morse » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:40 pm

redrobo wrote:Wonder where Connor Pye has gone as for me this is a mistake by CA not to keep him for the future.
He impressed last close season and I think he should have been kept going forward as an indication that we are a club looking forward and the development of youth which is an area that DA needs to reconsider for our clubs future.

:?: :?: :?:

Derek's priority has to be keeping us in League 1 and on such a tight budget he needs players who can step up now. I don't know what he thought about Connor but if he'd kept him it would be one less to bring in.
Think we must accept that investing in youngsters is not something we can do at the moment.
black morse

Postby Andy D » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:58 pm

could do with shifting Obika out, and get somebody with better body language on the pitch who puts in 100%.
Andy D

Postby redrobo » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:06 pm

According to the Barrow Forum their new manager, the former Halifax Boss wanted Taylor but signed for us and is also interested in Ash Hunter, but hopefully the pull of EFL1 will be suffice to attract him to our club.

Scott Quigley who we are also reported to be showing an interest in is still regarded with gratitude by the Barrow fans as the player who was the most influential in their promotion to EFL2.
redrobo

Postby lancaster shrimp » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:24 am

redrobo wrote:According to the Barrow Forum their new manager, the former Halifax Boss wanted Taylor but signed for us and is also interested in Ash Hunter, but hopefully the pull of EFL1 will be suffice to attract him to our club.

Scott Quigley who we are also reported to be showing an interest in is still regarded with gratitude by the Barrow fans as the player who was the most influential in their promotion to EFL2.

IF we sign. Hunter and Quigley. That will do me. Still we are a centre half and centre midfielder short. Will be an interesting week I feel
lancaster shrimp

Postby Redalert1970 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:23 am

Certainly agree Lancastershrimp

If we sign Hunter and Quigley plus maybe 2 more that would do for me (keep stockton as well and we are looking like quite a decent squad)

Will be interesting who features against Huddersfield tomorrow afternoon (new and existing players)

Hopefully there will be updates for the fans during the match ???
Redalert1970

Postby Keith » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:07 am

If Bedeau was one of the 'loan' players hinted about, I'd be delighted. One of our best players from January last season.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Catte » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:38 am

Looking at your squad looks nicely balanced, there appear to be a lot that are listed and you look a little light up top.
I liked Delaney when he was at our spot, wonder if he has been carrying an injury since he moved on as seemed to struggle with a truly awful Scunthorpe side.
There is a lot of activity and I suspect it is about to get frenzied, so hope that DA has targets in mind should the listed start to gather interest. Some of them are well known in the league so will not need too much scouting and clubs already know they are available could be interesting.
Anyone sniffing around Stockton? Would be twitchy near the start of the season another you know what you are getting should you take the plunge.

Very pleased with the recruitment at Bolton, looks like we are after one more for the first team (Pretty much built a B team from scratch and there are a couple in there will push for the first team this season). The defender Eoin Toal looks like we will have to come up with some cash from behind the sofa to finish the recruitment drive.

Good luck for next season sure DA will keep you moving forwards. See you in just over a month.
Catte

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:20 pm

Catte wrote:Looking at your squad looks nicely balanced, there appear to be a lot that are listed and you look a little light up top.
I liked Delaney when he was at our spot, wonder if he has been carrying an injury since he moved on as seemed to struggle with a truly awful Scunthorpe side.
There is a lot of activity and I suspect it is about to get frenzied, so hope that DA has targets in mind should the listed start to gather interest. Some of them are well known in the league so will not need too much scouting and clubs already know they are available could be interesting.
Anyone sniffing around Stockton? Would be twitchy near the start of the season another you know what you are getting should you take the plunge.

Very pleased with the recruitment at Bolton, looks like we are after one more for the first team (Pretty much built a B team from scratch and there are a couple in there will push for the first team this season). The defender Eoin Toal looks like we will have to come up with some cash from behind the sofa to finish the recruitment drive.

Good luck for next season sure DA will keep you moving forwards. See you in just over a month.

That list doesn't include Ash Hunter who we signed on Tuesday and will strengthen our forward options. Derek Adams says we have some offers out , one of them may be Scott Quigley although DA also said there had been no offers for Stockton. He also seemed to suggest there may be some outgoings presumably the listed players and some incomings to replace the listed players. In his previous stint as our manager he put together a squad that even when there were injuries/suspensions the players that came in left the team just as strong.

I think Bolton will be among the top end of the table , would settle for 2 points again this season in our clashes !
Gone_Shrimping

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion