Is the north stand coming with us to Westgate?

Re: Is the north stand coming with us to Westgate?

Postby Freez » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:16 pm

The bricks are facing bricks with no structural integrity whatsoever Gnash. The stand is primarily a steel clad structure, the steel can easily be dismantled as it was assembled (essentially a giant bespoke kit) and re-assembled in situe. The groundworks and footings could be prepared in advance. The terracing is in precast re-inforced blocks which are also tested and re-used if passed safe. As long as the steel and terracing pass stress tests when dismantled they can be stored and re-used or at least sold to another club to be re-used.

The reason the plans include a smaller capacity home end is IF the North Stand moves with us because of the rest of the ground being designed as back loading stands (ie entrances through gaps in the ground floor of both seats and terracing) the home terrace would have access point or points made through the back of the stand at ground level facing the pitch, not entry by the sides as currently, this to match the other three sides. Thus reducing the capacity.

The board have looked at taking it to the new site, is it cost effective and will it look OK, but as far as I'm aware have not made that decision.

If they decide to take it, great, if not, it does have value if we dismantle and sell it to another club. Otherwise scrap the steel for a few quid.

Hope that helps.
Frisnit Frisnit!!
Freez

Postby Wild Bill » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:24 pm

I don't get this argument that the north stand is empty most games. Especially this season you can barely move across it towards the middle. To get a barrier to lean on you would have to be there well before kick-off. If it comes and people decide to go to other parts of the ground then it is no bad thing really. More comfort for those that stay and plenty of room for the big games. Hopefully we can get our average crowd up anyway by at least a few hundred and keep a great atmosphere in the stand.

I hope the club really consider bringing it with us, even if the costs are similar to build a new stand from scratch. As someone said it cost 500K less than a decade ago and the effort made to build it shouldn't go to scrap so soon. :roll:
I am the Thai Shrimp!
Wild Bill

Postby Gnasher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:55 am

The bricks are facing bricks with no structural integrity whatsoever Gnash. The stand is primarily a steel clad structure, the steel can easily be dismantled as it was assembled (essentially a giant bespoke kit) and re-assembled in situe. The groundworks and footings could be prepared in advance. The terracing is in precast re-inforced blocks which are also tested and re-used if passed safe. As long as the steel and terracing pass stress tests when dismantled they can be stored and re-used or at least sold to another club to be re-used.

One day I'll put my brain in gear, of course the bricks aren't structural. I should know the stand is mainly steel, I've spent far too long looking at the back of it :lol:
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby sandgrown » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:32 am

RedRedWine wrote:Northwich Victoria moved one of there stands from their former home (Drill Field) to their new stadium (Victoria Park, which they currently can't use, another story).

Why MUST? it be cost effective for us to move a stand from one location to another? Are you a certified engineer? What works for one club, might not necessarily work for another financially or logistically. In short nobody knows what the costs would be, assumption is a dangerous tool. The conditions for all you know could be completely different.

ok then, will YOU be happy with a ground like Chester's ?
sandgrown

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Not really, but I never said that I would be happy with a ground like Chester.

All I said was that you don't know the actual costs that would entail moving the stand from Christie to the new site, nobody does at the moment. You claimed that moving the stand must be cheaper, why so?

Anyone who claims they know the actual costs of this idea is either guessing, or is in the possession of information not currently known by those in charge of the project. I'd go for the former.

After I've stopped playing devils advocate, if I had to guess I would actually say that the stand may be coming with us. :D
RedRedWine1

Postby sandgrown » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:09 pm

all I said was that I agreed with Martins comments on Chesters ground, and that if some clubs had moved their stand it was a viable option for us too.

and I never claimed it would be cheaper, but an option that others had done.
sandgrown

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:34 pm

I never claimed it would be cheaper

You did imply that it would be cheaper.

Barnet I think, planned to take their stand with them, so it must be cost effective, so why can't we ?

All I was suggesting was that at this stage nobody knows the true cost for MFC to move the stand. To compare it to what others have done is not justification that it will be cheaper for us, in a completely different project, though we will find out soon I imagine.
RedRedWine1

Postby Gnasher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Either of you into politics or politicians by any chance?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby sandgrown » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:05 pm

no chance, its not worth the hassle ;)
sandgrown

Postby azz01m » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:11 pm

From what i understand and the conversations ive had with various people,the North stand was going to go to westgate,but those plans have now been scrapped as the cost in moving it and the hastle involved is too much.I think if we are moving to a brand new ground then it should be brand new.They may decide to take parts of it but not the whole thing.
A good point was made before regarding the handover.The stands themselves will prob be errected by that stage,so it is unlikely that the North stand will be going.
azz01m

Postby campdave » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:15 pm

IMO, should only move if it's cheaper than building a new one - visually, it's hardly stunning.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:59 pm

Maybe we should sell the stand to another club?

How about Fleetwood who have big ideas for their future...or even better why not Barrow AFC, at least it would have a good home?

Just as an after thought, swap the stand for a certain Southport player...even though I'm not convinced that he'll do a job for us!
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 pm

Christies Child wrote:swap the stand for a certain Southport player...even though I'm not convinced that he'll do a job for us!

Really? You've never mentioned it before.
campdave

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Christies Child

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:26 pm

You two should get a room :D
RedRedWine1

Postby Christies Child » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:45 pm

RedRedWine wrote:You two should get a room :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Given that Lancaster City council assisted us with building it, perhaps we should let the Dollies have it?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:31 am

Keith wrote:Given that Lancaster City council assisted us with building it, perhaps we should let the Dollies have it?

We have repaid the loan

Why would Lancaster City need a stand that holds 3,000 :roll: :roll:

It could be advertised in the Non League Paper (if its still around) and sold to the highest bid.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:13 am

I'm not bothered one way or the other - I have no sentimental attachment to a pile of bricks and lengths of metal. If it saves us money by recycling materials, fair enough. If not, forget it.

One thing we would all like to see though - and I think this whole debate has, if it's achieved anything, brought this to the fore - is a bigger end for the home fans than the away fans.

I think the club have realised the strength of feeling on this issue and I think they will take it on board.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 am

RedRedWine wrote:You two should get a room :D

This one should suffice 8-)
cell.jpg
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Previous

Return to General Discussion