O/T Power Point presentation

O/T Power Point presentation

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:48 am

For the very first time in my sad old life, I've to put together a Power Point presentation of approximately 12 slides .

Having never done one before (but witnessed some really crap ones) I could do with a bit of advice and possibly a link to a web site for some tips.

To show my ignorance, I assume that all the details of my presentation can be put onto disc for me to use on the clients lap top or whatever for me to do the presentation.

Cheers in advance
Neil
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Re: O/T Power Point presentation

Postby DeeBee » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi Neil
If you save your slides with a .pps extension on to a disc/memory stick etc. it can be viewed but not amended by customers. Always keep your master copy with a .ppt extension so you can amend it.
If you Google PowerPoint you'll find lots of beginners guides.
DB
DeeBee

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks Dave
Roberta said I should have had a word with you.....
Aimee just put her hand to her forehead and looked to the sky! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:42 pm

DeeBee wrote:Hi Neil
If you save your slides with a .pps extension on to a disc/memory stick etc. it can be viewed but not amended by customers. Always keep your master copy with a .ppt extension so you can amend it.
If you Google PowerPoint you'll find lots of beginners guides.
DB

Just out of curiosity...

If you have a show with a .pps extension, could you save it as a .ppt, then edit it again? Don't actually want to, just wondering.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby DeeBee » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:51 pm

I think you would have to rename the .pps file as a .ppt file and then load and amend it. You can't Save As the .pps as it goes straight into the presentation when you load it - if that makes sense. :)
DeeBee

Postby campdave » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Christies Child wrote:Having never done one before (but witnessed some really crap ones) I could do with a bit of advice and possibly a link to a web site for some tips.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=powerp ... =firefox-a
campdave

Postby wonder shrimp » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:41 am

i've found this site useful in the past. death by powerpoint

i think in general though less is more, and remember why you are using the slides (to support your talk, not replace it!). minimal (if at all) use of animations or 'cutesy' pictures. little text per slide and don't read the slides.
wonder shrimp

Postby Gnasher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:55 am

What you should really do is use a projector with a PC with a decent video card that can use the projector as a second, seperate, screen. Add all your own notes/speech to the notes section in powerpoint against each slide then you can project the slides for all to see at the same time have your notes on your PC screen in front of you that only you can see.
Legally permitted to use "Gnasher" by DC Thomson's lawyers since 1999.
#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands
Gnasher

Postby RedRedWine1 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Agree with wonder shrimp. Don't get bogged down with the animation of the slides. I actually prefer presentations with little or no animation as I feel it takes the attention away from the actual content of the presentation, which is the most important aspect. You can find some good PowerPoint templates for free on the internet that look professional and do the job. All that you need to do is amend them to suit your content.

I use this template quite frequently:

MS Office PowerPoint Template
RedRedWine1

Postby sgt major » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:18 pm

From a proffesional presenter - dont under any circumstances tell your audience that you have never done this before!!
sgt major

Postby Splodge » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:45 pm

sgt major wrote:From a proffesional presenter - dont under any circumstances tell your audience that you have never done this before!!

And spell 'professional' correctly. :lol:
Splodge

Postby wonder shrimp » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:57 am

i've just been sent this link from http://www.slideshare.net (a site worth having a look at in itself) which looks pretty good, so i thought i'd post it!

http://www.empoweryourpoint.com/
wonder shrimp

Postby sgt major » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Splodge wrote:
sgt major wrote:From a proffesional presenter - dont under any circumstances tell your audience that you have never done this before!!

And spell 'professional' correctly. :lol:

Yes - it was pretty late on and my fingers slipped on the f key :D
sgt major

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:53 pm

There's no need for that sort of language Mr D!

Yes - it was pretty late on and my fingers slipped on the f key
morecambe mick

Return to General Discussion