O/T Burton In lonsdale

O/T Burton In lonsdale

Postby Wednesdayite » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 am

A mate of mine is taking advantage of a short term contract in the south lakes area and has the opportunity to stay in Burton In lonsdale. He's rung me (as i'm nearest) to ask what its like. I've told him the important things like how to get to christie park and which beer to drink, but i know nothing about the village in question. Anyone shed any light? pubs,shops,restuarants, knife crime...you know the usual things ;)

cheers
Exiled Yorkshireman
Wednesdayite

Re: O/T Burton In lonsdale

Postby ingleton shrimp » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:03 pm

I think its fair to say burton-in-lonsdale is not the entertainment capitol of the north . A nice little country village boasting one pub (the punch bowl) which i believe serves up good food. There is only one shop in burton which is a store / post office/ off license . there are no resteraunts to speak of other than the pub. A very quiet community with little chrime to speak of other than with the odd attractive sheep!
ingleton shrimp

Postby shrimper » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:31 pm

I know a few people who live there and whenever we've been it seems a nice place with some lovely houses and a genuine village 'community' feel. One or two very well-supported youth groups (if your mate has kids) with well-run activities.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Wednesdayite » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 pm

cheers guys. No his wife and kids are staying back in the motherland (as are his sheep!) and he's just taking a six month contract as its good money in the current climate. I think he just wanted to be sure it wasn't royston vasey.. :D

I'll let him know unless anyone else cares to throw in their ten 'pennath

cheers again
Exiled Yorkshireman
Wednesdayite

Postby morecambe mick » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:08 pm

If he needs to be in that area Kikby Lonsdale would be much "livelier", and one I would choose over Burton-in-Lonsdale. Rent may be cheaper too.
Some very good pubs which serve excellent food and some impressive shops for such a small village.
morecambe mick

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

He would be better off staying in Caton, couple of decent pubs doing nice food , a short trip to m6 with no traffic, and quite a lot of letting properties.
PUNKISDEAD

Return to General Discussion