Major club announcement Tuesday am

Re: Major club announcement Tuesday am

Postby Posh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:08 am

campdave wrote:
marky wrote:
Suley the 2 sainsburys sites are closer than Morrisons and Safeway/Tesco at Carnforth.

They are but from my understanding there's more to it than simple distance. I think Morrisons had to sell the Carnforth site under competition rules as there would be no other supermarket retailer between the two. Although there's only 3 miles between the Lancaster Sainsbury & Christie Park, there is an ASDA separating the two so it may well be deemed acceptable thanks to that.

Thanks for that - that makes much more sense.

As for planning, I think it will be difficult as I'm sure the majority of the nearby residents would want it next door, but the council have other things to consider such as jobs for the area.

Sainsburys would have a duty to deliver for the local community as part of their application. They can rightly argue that their money is now funding not only the development of a new football stadium which is under the JB Christie Trust but also extensive community sport facilities operated by a registered charity.

Additionally I think it would be prefectly right to argue that construction and operation of the new store would generate numerous jobs - as of course will the building and maintenance of the new stadium.

I really hope the council study any planning application on its merits and see the real benefits the proposals could do for Morecambe.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby wonder shrimp » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:10 am

that is great news!

i was always sceptical about claims to have pre-contract agreements with persimmon etc, or people's faith in housing developers wanting to buy the land. this makes a lot more sense and sounds like a done deal. no mention of figures involved yet, but i guess you wouldn't necessarily expect that.

top work by the morecambe board, who wouldn't have announced this unless it was pretty much a done deal. i can't wait for 2010/11 now!
wonder shrimp

Postby azz01m » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:43 am

The deal has been done for a while now,but i don't think they wanted to release the news until they had a definate date for the start of construction.
I think that it's great news and hope the council realise what it will bring to the town.As far as supermarkets go and how close they are, i think is down to the councils discretion and thats how aldi managed to build so close to morrisons because the same issue came about there.
I'm just glad it was good news.Well done to the board!
azz01m

Postby Posh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:46 am

wonder shrimp wrote:that is great news!

i was always sceptical about claims to have pre-contract agreements with persimmon etc, or people's faith in housing developers wanting to buy the land. this makes a lot more sense and sounds like a done deal. no mention of figures involved yet, but i guess you wouldn't necessarily expect that.

top work by the morecambe board, who wouldn't have announced this unless it was pretty much a done deal. i can't wait for 2010/11 now!

It kind of makes the 'Village!!' thread look even more idiotic. E.g. that the club have managed to keep quiet for a long period the news of the sale; undertaken the sale itself; acquired land off the City Council and all the legal stuff; did a deal, acquired land and planning consents for Westgate Wanderers; and finally simultaneously released the information via websites, press release, email, and a press conference with Sainsburys. Looks like a highly professional club if you ask me.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:48 am

It IS a done deal - was done a while ago and explains why the board have been so reassuring when we were all worried about the housing market etc.

As we report this week, it's not dependent on Sainsbury's getting planning permission - that is Sainsbury's issue now.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:49 am

"By by Glen Cooper" Where you going mate? :lol:

http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-n ... 4890945.jp
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby P/T Indie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:03 pm

shrimper wrote:It IS a done deal - was done a while ago and explains why the board have been so reassuring when we were all worried about the housing market etc.

As we report this week, it's not dependent on Sainsbury's getting planning permission - that is Sainsbury's issue now.

Glen not sure if you will know the answer but out of intrest if the club had obtained outline planning permission and then sold could they have asked for a higher price?
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby azz01m » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:28 pm

If u sell land with planning it is worth alot more.I would of thought that the club would have made enquiries prior so that the price was higher.
azz01m

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Think about it. What would they have applied for planning permission for? For 250 new houses? For a new retail park? For a new superstore?

What if they'd gone for the superstore idea and there were objections, a planning inquiry etc.?

How long would that take?

Yes, they may have got more money but they'd also have got a lot more headaches and it would have taken a lot longer, so their new stadium would be 'on hold' until it was all sorted out. Then they may have got the permission - but the supermarket sector took a turn for the worse and no-one would buy it.

This way they've put it out onto the market, seen who was interested, done a deal and they're off. Let Sainsbury's worry about the planning procedures and all that that entails.

These are good businessmen and they know what they're doing. They've not let us down yet.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby John L » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Fantastic news! If the supermarket plans are granted, it will be a major boost for Morecambe in terms of employment and bringing a quality supermarket to a locality which will greatly benefit from it. Well done MFC and good luck to Sainsbury's! Living nearby, our household will certainly benefit! :)
John L

Postby Martin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Really good news.

It will be a sad day when the last game is played at Christie Park but it's hard to deny that the ground is looking tired and inadequate for league football.

A new stadium with the additional revenue it generates gives the club a chance to achieve the League One status the Board are aiming at.
Martin

Postby Posh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:59 pm

azz01m wrote:If u sell land with planning it is worth alot more.I would of thought that the club would have made enquiries prior so that the price was higher.

How do you know they haven't?

The site is probably one of the largest brownfield sites in Morecambe. As a result to the supermarkets who have substantial landbanks this is a valuable site with or without planning permission.

Over and above that I don't know the terms of the sale but who knows what else might have been included vis-a-vis planning consent. All I know is that we'll benefit whatever happens.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby feelingguilty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Great news.

Is it double good news?- would this sale be "revenue" and if so will it help with the embargo?
feelingguilty

Postby campdave » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:09 pm

feelingguilty wrote:Great news.

Is it double good news?- would this sale be "revenue" and if so will it help with the embargo?

Doubt it - if the deal has been pretty much done for some time as has been alluded to, I would think the numbers would have been factored into the plans the club had to send the league.
campdave

Postby The Bay » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:11 pm

shrimper wrote:Think about it. What would they have applied for planning permission for? For 250 new houses? For a new retail park? For a new superstore?

What if they'd gone for the superstore idea and there were objections, a planning inquiry etc.?

How long would that take?

Yes, they may have got more money but they'd also have got a lot more headaches and it would have taken a lot longer, so their new stadium would be 'on hold' until it was all sorted out. Then they may have got the permission - but the supermarket sector took a turn for the worse and no-one would buy it.

This way they've put it out onto the market, seen who was interested, done a deal and they're off. Let Sainsbury's worry about the planning procedures and all that that entails.

These are good businessmen and they know what they're doing. They've not let us down yet.

Fantastic post Glen. Sums it all up perfectly!
The Bay's Goalzone - Saturday's 2-6pm & Tuesday's 7-10pm - Interviews & All The Action
http://www.thebay.co.uk
FOLLOW THE SHOW ON TWITTER - @dpsalmon or @TheBayGoalzone
The Bay

Postby Harry » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:43 pm

I no doubt imagine the Lancaster stores' sales (where I work) will go down the pan, but I'm not bothered! Hooray for the new stadium news! If it gets bad enough I'll request a transfer :lol:
Harry

Postby shrimper » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Not according to Sainsbury's Harry. If you watch the press conference video their representative says they are wanting to extend the Lancaster store as well.
shrimper

Postby marky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:50 pm

There's definitely demand I would say. The 3 Morrisons stores in Newcastle are always pretty busy but nothing like the Morecambe one!
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Harry » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Aye, just wondering how much crossover there is. If we suffered from a shortfall in customers it could be made-up by the 'increased range'.
Harry

Postby steve mfc » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:23 pm

Excellent news for the club, fans, and the town, i would imagine that Sainsbury's wouldn't have bought the ground if they were not very confident of receiving planing permission.

Anyway well done to all concerned, hopefully that will put paid to the board bashing and pessimism that has been on here of late.
steve mfc

Postby Christies Child » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Absolutely brilliant news.

My initial concerns about the sale 'subject to planing permission' have been resolved with Sainsbury's having shouldered that responsibilty which is not unusual in such cases.

Some have questioned the nearness of similar stores as possibly being a stumbling block. Well, as an exercise I noted the distance between Asda in Blackpool and Tesco Extra in Blackpool..1.1 mile to be exact and both are on large retail parks. So maybe it's not an issue after all.

There will be objections, even from supporters who live on the doorsteps of CP, but with carefull planning and excellence in design, maybe the new store will actually enhance the environment with superb landscaping not to mention an eco friendly store similar to that now being built by competitors elsewhere. This may an opportunity for Sainsbury, the local council and the local communities to make its own commitment to the environment for our childrens future.

One hopes that the increse in traffic which may result is managed with care and that entry and exit to the site is controlled by a roundabout and not yet another set of traffic lights. A sculptured roundabout with some kind of icon that defines the town and its history would be a fitting solution to what will undoubtably be an issue of concern in certain quarters.

Today is a day to remember in more ways than one. Let's hope that this is the dawning of a new beginning for the club, the community and leads to further faith being placed in the resort by other 'named' companies.

Well done to the Board....not only for the tremendous work in securing this deal but in guaranteeing that the long promised move to pastures and revenues new can finally proceed.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Keith » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:40 pm

Christies Child wrote:One hopes that the increse in traffic which may result is managed with care and that entry and exit to the site is controlled by a roundabout and not yet another set of traffic lights. A sculptured roundabout with some kind of icon that defines the town and its history would be a fitting solution to what will undoubtably be an issue of concern in certain quarters.

I would suggest a roundabout at the top of Christie Ave/Latham could be a great idea. There was a comment on The Bay from a local resident about the increased traffic on an already busy road, but in the evening, cars fly down there well above the speed limit, so a traffic calming measure could be an excellent by-product.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby morecambe mick » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:01 pm

In the middle of the roundabout they could put a statue of Danny C scoring "that" goal, kicking the ball towards J.B's bar (or where it once was, what a strange thought :| )
morecambe mick

Postby John L » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Keith wrote:I would suggest a roundabout at the top of Christie Ave/Latham could be a great idea. There was a comment on The Bay from a local resident about the increased traffic on an already busy road, but in the evening, cars fly down there well above the speed limit, so a traffic calming measure could be an excellent by-product.

As there are shops and flats directly opposite Lathom Avenue, it could be difficult to locate a roundabout there. I would expect one to be sited beyond the other end of the car wash, close to the present club entrance, which would also be midway between Lathom Avenue and Burlington Avenue. This might also be appropriate for access to the delivery area, which would surely be at the school end rather than backing onto the Christie Avenue housing? In any case, a mini-roundabout might be considered the best option, considering it's restrictive location on a main route to and from the town centre and beyond. I wonder if Sainsbury's will eventually buy out the car wash should their planning application be successful? Maybe a future beckons for the former Esso filling station down the road, either as a relocated car wash (with filling station as a business expansion?) or as a satellite location for a Sainsbury's-owned filling station?
John L

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:01 pm

A huge company like Sainsburys will get planning permission, Aldi on Morecambe rd is built on the site of a listed building that they (ALDI) got pp to demolish, big companies always get their own way as they have MILLIONS OF POUNDS!!
PUNKISDEAD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion