today

Re: today

Postby Christies Child » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:Obviously we missed Drummy today.

I thought Taylor looked lightweight and maybe Sammy should have played Twissy alongside Rene Howe.

I assume Carr is injured as he would have been a decent replacement for Drummy.

Fraser didn't have one of his better games today either and his place would be in jeopardy if it wasn't for the embargo.

According to Mark Mace in the programme notes we can expect some incoming transfers by the time we play Port Vale in 2 weeks so maybe he knows something that we don't.

I'll believe it when it happens 'cause we've heard this sort of thing before, but nothing happens.

Talk about 'mixed messages'.....
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Abbo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:37 pm

I am sick and tired of seeing Bentley and Adams backing off and backing off when a oppenent runs at them, it was there fault they scored there goal. I was really looking forward to todays game but after watching that crap today i feel really let down. apart from a few glimpses in the second half i thought we were shocking, never mind going on about getting new faces in i think we need a defensive coach in to explain the concept of defending.
Abbo

Postby Blackburn shrimp » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:43 pm

Agreed defence was far to static today and got caught out time and again with pacey forwards, centre halves looked ok with balls in the air but sadly lacking when the ball was played through and behind them, not a good day at the office :roll:
Blackburn shrimp

Postby P/T Indie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:06 pm

I had my worries about the defence when they were at fault for a couple of goals on wed night against a reserve side.
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby Martin » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:31 pm

It was a poor performance all round. Too many players weren't good enough on the day. I agree that Fraser had a particularly poor game but I think Danny Adams struggled too.

Aaron Taylor just doesn't seem ready yet for the step up to the first team. He took a touch when he should perhaps have hit that shot first time and his all round play is not making an impact. Throughout the side we misfired and simply didn't have the creativity to take advantage in the second half when Gillingham stopped playing.

There were positive points; Matty Blinkhorn's return looked promising. He put himself about well and was eager to get involved. I thought he had a good run out.

I also think Neil Wainwright had a decent game until his substitution. He worked hard and was full of running.

It's no secret Sammy wants to strengthen the squad and I think the remainder of the season isn't going to be much different from what we've seen so far. I'll settle for 17th or 18th but It'll be an interesting when we get to the close season.
Martin

Postby George Dawes » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 pm

when we talk about our defense, people forget the midfield as a job in protecting them. now for me our defenders are good enough at L2 level.

but! a lesson to be learned today is Adam's is way way way way way way way to slow to play in a 3 man defense or as a wing-back! as experienced he may be, he's to slow
George Dawes

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:58 am

The one goal scored today landed a bit lucky for them, on clearance failure number 3, I think we gave them alot of problems in the second half, another draw would have been fair, but hey, THANK GOD FOR LUTON!!!
PUNKISDEAD

Postby slackAlice » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:52 am

P/T Indie
Good attacking teams are taught to get the ball and always try and move it forward we just pass it sideways a few times back to the keeper and then a big hoof up bitch to noone apart from their centre backs.

... And its just too ..too SLOW ! They seem to wait till the opposition 'get back' defensively and pi## about with it a bit more ? They can't break - the only hope of scoring would be from a dead ball situation and you need somebody who can take a decent corner / free-kick and that is often not the case. They had plenty of the ball yesterday but there was just no purpose /confidence/ guille in the midfield or up front.
slackAlice

Postby campdave » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Christies Child wrote:
I'll believe it when it happens 'cause we've heard this sort of thing before, but nothing happens.

make up your mind CC - do you support the board or not? Half the time you bang on about how they have the best interests of the club and praising them to the hilt, now you're accusing them of lying?

As for "believing it when you hear it", that's slightly rich given the amount of unfounded speculation you've posted over the years.

You change your mind as often as I change my pants.
Last edited by campdave on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
campdave

Postby marky No.1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:38 pm

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

make up your mind CC - do you support the board or not? Half the time you bang on about how they have the best interests of the club and praising them to the hilt, now you're accusing them of lying?

Pants being the operative word :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
marky No.1

Postby Harry » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:00 pm

DawZi wrote:when we talk about our defense, people forget the midfield as a job in protecting them. now for me our defenders are good enough at L2 level.

but! a lesson to be learned today is Adam's is way way way way way way way to slow to play in a 3 man defense or as a wing-back! as experienced he may be, he's to slow

Maybe Garry Hunter would be better for us in the more defensive midfield position than Fraser to protect the defence. Saying that, no one can be flawless and no one can stop every single ball past them, which is where the defence need to earn their gravy, so to speak. For all his lack of pace, Adams most of the time can block an opponent off the ball, although struggles to deal with it. Bentley and Artell, however, are fantastic in the air and good at starting promising attacks with passes on the floor, but like a lot of other people I find it almost cringeworthy when they can't dive in for a tackle, or even worse back off a player, inviting them to our goal and allowing the time for a supporting attacker to come looking for the pass! Considering the decent attacking prospects we have, a defender who can tackle must surely be a priority for the men in the know.
Harry

Postby George Dawes » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Maybe Garry Hunter would be better for us in the more defensive midfield position than Fraser to protect the defence. Saying that, no one can be flawless and no one can stop every single ball past them, which is where the defence need to earn their gravy, so to speak. For all his lack of pace, Adams most of the time can block an opponent off the ball, although struggles to deal with it. Bentley and Artell, however, are fantastic in the air and good at starting promising attacks with passes on the floor, but like a lot of other people I find it almost cringeworthy when they can't dive in for a tackle, or even worse back off a player, inviting them to our goal and allowing the time for a supporting attacker to come looking for the pass! Considering the decent attacking prospects we have, a defender who can tackle must surely be a priority for the men in the know.

tbh am one of the few Artell fans on these forums, worth his place in the squad and great at set-pieces, he just need's a kick up the ass now & again
George Dawes

Postby Christies Child » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:42 pm

campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

As for "believing it when you hear it", that's slightly rich given the amount of unfounded speculation you've posted over the years.

Where?
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Christies Child wrote:
campdave wrote:
Christies Child wrote:

Where?

When it said in the program "we expect to make signings by the time we play Port Vale" you said "I'll believe it when I see it". So if you don't believe what he's written, it sounds to me like you don't think he's telling the truth.
campdave

Postby Harry » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:03 pm

What it actually says in the programme is "Hopefully by the time we play our next home match...we should have further news on the player transfer front."

Our next home match is on January 31st, the last day of the transfer window. If nothing happens between now and then, we will have further news...ie we won't be getting any new players!
Harry

Previous

Return to General Discussion